This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
    And if a man doesn't have guts enough to call, he doesn't have guts enough to date me.
    I had a different motivation for insisting that they guy make the first move: When I was in middle school, I was the victim of the "someone likes you" game. Someone would tell me that a guy I was interested in liked me. Desperate for acceptance, I would go to this guy and attempt a hook-up, only to have him redicule me or dump me a week later. Then the people that told me about the guy would snigger at my disappointment at being jerked around.

So I developed the reputation of being the ice bitch because I was sick of people playing this game with me. If the dude liked me so much, he could bloody well approach me himself. I had too much pride to embarass myself in order to give a bunch of mouth breathers a few moments of entertainment. It turned out that some of the rumors were true, but the guy was too scared to approach me because he knew his friends would make fun of him. Sorry, weak-willed social climbers need not apply to be my boyfriend.

The only episode of this game that I liked was in 8th grade around Christmas. I found a present with my name on it in my chair. Quietly, I opened it to find a Treasure Troll. It was really cute and the hair and jewel were purple, my favorite color. Attached was a note from a secret admirer, confessing his feelings. I later found out from my best friend who the guy was, and only hoped he would knuckle up and tell me himself. I kept that thing forever, but it got somehow misplaced during my last move. I also still have the letter tucked away in my memory box.
    Last edited by Ree; 07-31-2007, 04:11 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting
    A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

I was "One of the boys" all my life so when i asked out guys i more often than not got the line "You're like a brother to me".... not sister.... brother. They didn't realize how much that would twist the knife.
      ~Annichka~
      Working for "Runfast" together with "Beforetel" is just super fun!

Comment

Ouch.

Being "one of the guys" is more painful that the "friend" zone.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Okay, I hear this all the time from the young ladies I know. Apparently, that's how young "men" flirt now.

Listen, it's tough to call someone you are interested in and ask them out.
          It wouldn't have been as bad (though still awkward, and I still would've turned him down) if the guy had at least been in my age bracket. But he was AT LEAST mid-thirties if not older - he had some graying hairs around the sides of his temples - and I wasn't even twenty at the time. Say what you will about May-December pairings, but I'm not inclined to think that they're largely successful in general. (If you do have one and it works for you, great, more power to you.)

I'm stressed enough just having to actually deal with people. I like it even less when I have to deal with crap like that.
          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I'm so glad I'm married and out of the dating scene.
            I'm just glad that I'm single and never got into it.

Quoth Annichka View Post
            I was "One of the boys" all my life so when i asked out guys i more often than not got the line "You're like a brother to me".... not sister.... brother. They didn't realize how much that would twist the knife.
            If you're 'one of the guys', you're familiar. The whole idea of finding someone else attractive, as far as I understand it, is that they are different and not someone you've been hanging around with for ages. I read it somewhere - honest!

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
              I'm just glad that I'm single and never got into it.
              I never got into the dating scene, either. I just made friends until I found someone I wanted to be more than friends with. Thankfully, in both instances, the feeling was mutual.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Amethyst's story reminded me of another one of my own, though this is more of a coworker type thing...

The building I work at is considered "Secure" which means we have security guards who hang out at the entrances and check bags, stuff like that. They're mostly a nice bunch, generally friendly, and I always stop and at least say hello on my way in and out. I'd noticed that one of them, who I'd wager was a few years younger than me, and a little socially akward, seemed to have a bit of a crush, but I didn't think much of it, just continued to be friendly but tried not to flirt or give him ideas. I found out from a co-worker that he was leaving to take another job, and funny enough, at the end of his last week, found a note under my windshield wiper stating to "Call me when you're ready" I "accidentally" lost the note, and felt a little bad, but it was just a little too juvenile for my tastes....I'm too obnoxious to date shy men.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

For the dating scene thingy: I don't like going to clubs, bars, or all that. I've met people just at random and good things usually come from it. That and clubs tend to have idiots with the intelligence of a snail on drugs. (Speaking from MY experiences.)

As for guys waiting to be asked by girls by doing a juvenile thing: What I once said to a friend who complained about dates: "For god's sake, yes it's hard to go and ask someone out for a date, but it gets easier as you do it. Geez, this is becoming too wussy."

Honestly, I personally think that it makes a better impression if you get the stones to go up to someone and ask for a date or even a phone number.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                    Honestly, I personally think that it makes a better impression if you get the stones to go up to someone and ask for a date or even a phone number.
                    Exactly. Much better. And also, if you leave me your number/passively give it to me without their being something cute/memorable about it, chances are I will either be too lazy to call, or will forget to call anyways.
                    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Sometimes, you just go, "hmmm...".

I was working as a night cashier back when we had to actually key in the prices of items based on labels stuck to them. Lasers, at that time, were things in laboratories that were only read about.

Key-ringing was a competitive sport between cashiers. They would actually place bets based on the size of the order, the dollar amount and the time taken to complete the transaction. Fun stuff.

I was good. I got "promoted". With my talents at the ready, I plowed headlong through three years of wonderfully chaotic circumstances.

In particular (and to the point of this thread), strapping young Me turned his gaze toward a well-fitting pair of jeans and looked away quickly. Shyness was not at issue. I was merely attempting to ensure that the customer had a pleasant shopping experience.

Being male, I began to rely on my peripheral vision instead. It was difficult to ignore the hiked leg resting on her shopping cart or the sideways glances in my direction. The hair-flipping thing didn't help me concentrate on my assigned tasks.

At checkout, Jeans and her female roommate chattered about this and that as I rang up their order. I almost fumbled when she said, "look how fast his fingers are."

I remained completely professional. My fingers, however, became a blur as adrenaline and hormones were suddenly dumped into my bloodstream.

I announced the total. She began filling out her check. As she was writing, she said, "my number's on the check. If you don't call, I'll shop somewhere else".

My mind sent up red flags, flashing lights and Klaxon horns blaring "TART!"

I let it go. That sort of behavior was beneath me.

As I was counting out my till at the end of my shift, I saw the check and was faced with a do-or-don't decision.

"If I don't write down the number now", thought I to myself, "the opportunity will be forever lost".

I'll not describe the events that followed in detail but I can summarize thusly:

1. Weeeeeeee!
                      2. Weeeeeeee!
                      3524. Weeee. Hold up. What? You wanna make me husband number how many?!

So yeah, relationships with clients aren't always intimately workable.

"Doable", perhaps but you have to know when and how to draw the line.

Comment

This' gonna sound out of place at first, but it'll fit shortly.
                        Today, I opened the store. All by myself for three hours at least. By the time my manager got in, I had made my numbers for the day. I told her so, and, in front of a customer, while we were busy stickering trade ins, she told me something similar to, "Damn, Juwl, that makes me want to hug you, almost."
                        I told her, "I'm always up for a hug," and then mimed hugging the air in her general direction.
                        She said, "Keep that thought in your mind."
                        Customer says, "Well, that was rude, you did offer."
                        To which manager points out we're on camera.
                        Customer says something like, "Don't want that spreading on the internet huh?"
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I think a store employee was hitting on me recently. She asked if she could help me, and I said no, I was just looking. She had a very intent, piercing gaze, looking right at me, not looking away, and I have a feeling she was hitting on me. I didn't like it at all. I'm not into women, and even if I were, I wouldn't like that kind of display of interest. I wouldn't like it if a man did it to me, and I didn't like it when a woman did it to me. I consider it an invasion of my personal space. I was polite, went to another area of the store, and no, I didn't report her. For what? For staring at me? She didn't say anything suggestive or make a move on me, so it could have been my imagination, but I doubt it very much.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                            I think a store employee was hitting on me recently. She asked if she could help me, and I said no, I was just looking. She had a very intent, piercing gaze, looking right at me, not looking away, and I have a feeling she was hitting on me.
                            I'd say it was either hitting on you, or thinking you were a shoplifter. Either way, totally inappropriate. Staring's rude, and if you happened to actually be a shoplifter, you're not going to do anything while being stared at, so it's a waste of time. If someone stares at me like that, I just catch their eye, and walk off.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Waiting Tables...

Just a hint of background, I'm a 35yo male, and this happened about 12 years back.

I was waiting tables in a hotel restaurant in Raleigh, NC. Dress code was a tux, minus the jacket. Dessert was proffered from a tray rather than a cart, ensuring that the server's hands were full.

Me: "Would you care for some dessert, Sir?"
                              Customer: "How much for what's holding up the tray?"
                              Me: "I'm afraid that's not on the Menu. How about the Chocolate Avalanche instead?"
                              Customer: "Just the check, please."

Worst part is, he didn't leave a tip. It seems to me, if you're going to make an unwanted sexual advance, you should at least leave a decent tip.

Comment

Quoth Shadowcat View Post
                                Worst part is, he didn't leave a tip. It seems to me, if you're going to make an unwanted sexual advance, you should at least leave a decent tip.
                                Well, to be fair, he didn't know it was unwanted until he made it. It's still sucky to not leave a tip just because you got shot down, though!
                                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                                X