This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ree View Post
    I think breastfeeding is the best way to go, as it's natural and healthy, and that really is the purpose of the breasts, after all, but I really drew the line at some of the claims against bottlefeeding that made a Mom feel as if she was a failure for not trying, or for trying and having to give it up.
    I agree, Ree. My Mother had to go back to work right after I was born. I was their first kid and she was putting my Dad through school, so there was no staying home for a few months for her. She dried up and had to put me on formula. She was not being irresponsible at all, she just didn't really have a choice. Luckily for her this was the early seventies so nobody gave her a guilt trip about it.

And as far as the evidence I have read, it's all very tentative. Only a few studies have been done, and while they showed maybe a little evidence, they were pretty inconclusive.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

It's also not even an 'either/or' situation - both my niece and nephew were breastfeed when Mummy was looking after them, and bottlefed when Daddy or any of the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and family-friends were looking after them.

Mummy looked after them often enough to not be in pain, or if she pumped or whatever she was discreet enough that I never knew.

Some people can't breastfeed. Some don't want to. Some do. My take on it? As long as the baby is fed, who cares?

I'm also in agreement with the idea that in cultures where breasts-in-public are taboo, use a scarf or a blanket. In cultures where breasts-in-public aren't, whip 'em out. Honour your society's standards, unless you truly, honestly feel the standards should be changed.

And if (generic you) you're trying to change social mores and standards, look at the lives of previous more-changing rebels, and be prepared to accept the price of rebelling. Don't come whining to me that you're ostracised, I'll just tell you that Martin Luther was excommunicated and his later namesake Martin Luther King was killed. Ostracism is a small price by comparison.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

The whole and entire reason why breast feeding is better is this:
        Some of the Mother's immunities pass to the baby. Or, at least that's what I was told by my doctors.

I don't actually think this is a "rebel" situation. I think it's more about simply being polite. I don't necessarily find anything wrong with it overall- it's natural.
        Then again... there are simply some people who's parts I NEVER want to see.
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

Speaking as a medical student, there are genetics and also generally studied conditions to breastfeeding which is a 3rd year study:

Good:
          Short term immunities, that may or may not mutate into long term ones.
          Possibility of transferring a base of maternal brain sense into the baby through leukotrytes found in the milk.
          The maternal bond is slightly more pronounced in the baby.

Bad:
          Long term family illnesses are likely to occur in the child, moreso the rare ones becaue of direct stimulae to the baby's body (more active than from the fetus stages).
          The maternal bond could stay inate in the subconscious of the baby, and develop into a complex.
          Possibility of the mother's breasts becoming malformed or shapen around the nipple and surrounding area.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
            We were watching a commercial about baby formula and on the bottom of the screen it says "Breastmilk is best. Ask your doctor." and my bf said that his mother had told him that babies that were not breast fed don't end up as smart as breast fed babies. Is that true?
            As others have said, it's more along the lines of health than intelligence, generally. For a comparison, it's kinda like doing fast food vs. good home-cooked food. Both will fill you up, neither will make you too much dumber (that's what the fast food commercials are for), but one will keep you healthier than the other. And no matter how many salads or yoghurts the fast food places try, it ain't them.

One of the big problems is that many women just look at the whole thing from a personal inconvenience perspective, especially the less-educated side of the spectrum. And since the less-educated side of the spectrum also has a higher tendency to end up on public assistance, the government has a certain incentive to promote breastfeeding.

I'm not going to completely trash the system, since I used it. But I had real, real good reason. My third child decided, about age 3 months, that she didn't like the taste of mother's milk, and barely ate. At about six months, she weighed four ounces more than she did at birth and had more wrinkles than those all-wrinkled dogs. No, that's not an exaggeration. Once we realized that she didn't mind formula, we switched over... but needed help to pay for the $80 or so per month that she drank. So we started in with WIC.

And on the overall intelligence thing... that daughter is probably the most intelligent person in my family, including myself. And that is not something I say about many people at all.

If you want my opinion about the entire question, though, I'm more in favor of breastfeeding, primarily for commercial reasons. It's less expensive, and the packaging is much more attractive.

And after time in South America, public breastfeeding doesn't faze me, whether it's done discretely or not.

Comment

I remember discussing this with an online friend once. She told me about the "fascist midwife" (her words, not mine) who came round her house and told her that what she was doing was comparable to child abuse. My online friend's crime? She told the midwife that she was choosing formula, cuz she didn't want her boobs ruined, plus she was fed with a bottle and it didn't do her any harm. Now, that's her choice; some women don't like feeling like Friesians.

I and my three brothers were all formula fed cuz my mum couldn't breastfeed. We are all healthy. To me, it's downright cruel to try and force every woman to feed; what's good for one mother isn't good for everyone.
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

I wouldn't say having a baby ruins a woman's breasts. I have no proof because I don't have any kids, but like with my story, my mother refused to wear a bra for SEVERAL years, while her breasts were beginning to grow and while they were growing and at getting their largest.

It's a fact of life that breasts sag and get stretch marks. I have white ones on mine. Yes I know, TMI. But anyways, you have a better chance of less severe sagging if you were a proper fitting bra (read, proper fitting, Victoria's Secret usually has free bra fittings if you aren't sure of your size). Or most important, if you wear a bra period.

None of my friends' boobs look ruined after having kids. Not like I'm a pervert and I stare or anything, but my friends and I change together at stores a lot even with swim suits and none of their breasts look....compromised..
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Ree
                  I will agree that my daughter did have more ear infections than some children
                  I was breastfed and I had ear infections all the time - probably at least 2-4 a year. I even had tubes in my ears at age 15 because, while my brother outgrew it (as my doc insisted we would, though I don't think my brother was as bad as me), I never did.

As for the question of intelligence, IF there is a difference (which there are probably so many factors that go into it, how can you determine what causes a boost or drop?), it's probably a matter of a few IQ points at the most.
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-29-2007, 07:32 PM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I was breastfed as a kid, and I was not that much different to my peers. Yes, I had many middle ear infections and issues with my tonsils, but I outgrew those, along with my asthma. I really couldn't care less if the Jonses breast feed or give Junior formula in a gold-plated bottle. All I care about is not seeing Mrs Jone's breast. Or at least, the bits that you would normally cover with a bra. If I ever have kids and am able to breastfeed, I know I would carry a stylish scarf with me to drape prettily over the scene. I think it would create a nice ambience for little iradney, like eating in a fancy restaurant
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Unfortunately, due to the circumstances of my birth, my mommy couldn't breastfeed me or my sister. We weren't even bottle fed.

We were tube fed.

:sigh:

We're still smart, though.

Also, to share my opinion on breastfeeding in public...

It's natural. Just, please, don't whip it out. Discretion is your friend.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I breastfed my son for about a month before I had problems and had to stop. I got more rude comments from people about my formula feeding my son than I did when I breastfed him in public.

Sorry, I tried it, didn't really like it and the doctor had me stop anyway. People should just keep their mouths shut.

And yes, my boobs are completely different now that I breastfed.. they're smaller and they sag.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                          One more thing...a man giving his opinion on breast feeding really needs to shut up cause there's no way he'll ever relate.
                          Since I can't relate, can I ask a related question?

I don't want to shave my fur, but the babies keep sneezing when I try to feed them. Anyone know how to get around this?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            I don't want to shave my fur, but the babies keep sneezing when I try to feed them. Anyone know how to get around this?

Raps, you are really too much!!
                            Last edited by Ree; 09-29-2007, 09:34 PM.
                            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                              Raps, you are really too much!!
                              I'm dieting - honest!

(ish)

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                                I'm dieting - honest!

(ish)

Rapscallion
                                honest-ish or dieting-ish?
                                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                                X