This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    If I am feeling inspired to strike up a conversation, it sure as hell will not be about anything so completely banal as the weather.
    I tend to but then again I live in Michigan and it's freaking 85 in October!
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

and sometimes a truly beautiful day must be commented on!

Comment

Ok, I've known/lived with a lot of people with body mods. Mostly in the face and ears, a few with napes, etc. My curiousity's pretty much sated, but if I did have a question, I would ask. Probably, it'd be something like: "Feel free to tell me to mind my damn business, but how was _____ done?" Now the fact that my face is completely free of metal (other than my glasses ), and my only tatt is covered by my sleeve, they may look at me like someone who's got no idea, but honestly, I stopped caring what strangers thought about me a long time ago. Basically, if I don't already respect you, your opinion means jack shit to me. So answer my question, or tell me to go to hell, I really don't care. I'll just try again the next time I see something that piques my interest.

Oh, and about tattoos, my view is that of a lot of the people here with them. I know I'll want mine (the name of my brother in law and nephew who died in a car crash with a drunk driver) for the rest of my life. If you don't know that, don't friggin' get one. And I will comment if I see someone with a heart or generic Kanji (sp?) on them. It looks tacky, as it's just to fit in. Ok, that's my last two cents, hooray for being centsless
        If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth tangrid View Post
          And I will comment if I see someone with a heart or generic Kanji (sp?) on them.
          hehe, I actually got this one, (not the actual tattoo, it is a bit difficult to take photos of the back of ones elbow) for people with Flash Kanji, it means 'Surprise and Confusion' which is often what people feel when they find out what they picked off the wall does not actually mean 'Princess'

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
            I still maintain that a person who fills their face with metal or tattoos their body is welcoming attention, so it seems a little contradictory, in my opinion, to be so indignant when that happens.
            I'd be more than happy to answer any questions people had about my tattoo's.

However, if they can see them, than that means that I'm out in public with no pants on (again) and that I should probably hide.
            I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Confusion View Post
              hehe, I actually got this one, (not the actual tattoo, it is a bit difficult to take photos of the back of ones elbow) for people with Flash Kanji, it means 'Surprise and Confusion' which is often what people feel when they find out what they picked off the wall does not actually mean 'Princess'
              Heh, I speak Japanese and if I happen to see a character I will definitely point out what it really means.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Wow, how rude! I would never ask a pierced person those kinds of questions. Okay, I'd be curious, but it's really not my business. Unless I knew them personally of course. Otherwise, keep your questions to yourself!

Nobody has to explain to anyone why they made the choices they did.

Maybe a generic answer should be: "if you want any info about my piercings, it will have to be submitted in writing. In triplicate. In your own blood."
                Total surrender
                Your touch is so tender
                Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                And it brings me relief
                "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                  However, if they can see them, than that means that I'm out in public with no pants on (again) and that I should probably hide.
                  I'm about the same way with mine, as they aren't visible unless I'm showing them to you or am scantily clad - though the ones on my left foot and right ankle are visible if I wear shorts or a skirt with sandals, I suppose.

How often are you running around without your pants on in public anyways, Spiffy? Should we be concerned?
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                    Wow, how rude! I would never ask a pierced person those kinds of questions. Okay, I'd be curious, but it's really not my business. Unless I knew them personally of course. Otherwise, keep your questions to yourself!

Nobody has to explain to anyone why they made the choices they did.
                    EXACTLY!
                    I'm a little bothered that so many people on here have given the impression that they would outwardly ask people questions like this, on the basis that they've somehow "invited" said questions by their actions.
                    By that accord any choice one makes about their appearance should be open game for comments and questions.

However I must point out that above all else I am only most annoyed when people ask me these questions at work.
                    It's like being hit on when you're on the clock. Just... no... do not want. Go away. Etc.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      However I must point out that above all else I am only most annoyed when people ask me these questions at work.
                      It's like being hit on when you're on the clock. Just... no... do not want. Go away. Etc.
                      This is actually a good comparison, to me, though slightly altered, as I think hitting on someone at work is only ok if you actually know the person and it is invited or a joke....though that's a whole nother topic of conversation for another thread.

I think the key is that most of us who feel asking questions is appropriate and possibly even invited by having the piercings also feel that HOW the questions are asked, as well as their subject matter, makes all the difference. I had all my mods done up in MI, and have since moved home. I don't feel like driving all the way back, even though I *love* the guy who did my tats and piercings, so I'm prone to asking strangers with pretty body art where they got it done and if they have recommendations.

Example of a Yay situation:
                      I am in a place of business, the employee is not super-busy or in queue, and seems friendly and open to normal conversation (i.e. "How are you?"). They have a facial or other visible piercing or tattoo that I am genuinely interested in. I might ask them, as politely as I can, where/how/by who they got it done, and/or was it painful. As some have said above, I may even tell them they can tell me if it's none of my business. Sample question: "I know this may be none of my business, and feel free to tell me if it is, but I'm curious if that cartilage piercing hurt, as I'm thinking of getting one myself."

Example of a Nay situation:
                      I am a stuck up witch who can't understand why anyone would feel the need to do that to their face, and feel the need to comment to them in that vein. Or, I am a pervy old man, and want to ask the poor employee inappropriately sexual questions about something I know nothing about.

As has been mentioned plenty here, and on the breast-feeding thread, I think the key to all of this is respect. If you treat someone politely and with respect, there is very little chance it'll come across as rude or condescending, and there's much less chance you'll offend or upset them. IMO, it's just a matter of knowing what is appropriate and how to word it.
                      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                        How often are you running around without your pants on in public anyways, Spiffy? Should we be concerned?
                        You should only be concerned if you're in Alberta in the warm months.

Broomjockey, Horsetuna, CanadaGirl, IMAPseudonym, anyone else in Alberta that I missed--you guys can be concerned.
                        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                          I'm out in public with no pants on (again) and that I should probably hide.
                          I do rather hope thats the American version of pants...
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                            Well, if it was the British version, that would mean he's simply going commando, as he'd have his "trousers" on.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Unless he was being international and going for BOTH versions...

"Ah, he's not the first psycho to hire us, nor the last. You think that's a commentary on us?"

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                                It was. Although, I'll be honest, neither of the options are all that palatable to the general public.

Comment

Working...
                                X