Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of our customers don't suck

But now we have one that does.

We provide a service for another store in the neighborhood. Their customers need clothing altered. Neighbor Store marks the clothing and sends it to us. We alter it and send it back. But...Neighbor has taken to being slow-pay on it's monthly tab. I became aware of it because, well, I do the tailoring, and get a commission on the bill. Neighbor just paid a couple month's back bills, we're still waiting on January (and no, we don't offer 30-60-90 days to pay. It's due immediately when the bill is presented.) In discussing this, I asked if Neighbor is charging their customers for our services. We didn't really know, until today.

Neighbor salesperson appeared with a customer in tow, did we have a _____ for ____? I gave him the side-eye and went and got it. Customer turns to salesperson and asks if she owes anything, and he says, [uncomfortably] "Uh yeah, let me take you back to the store to settle up." It's not his fault, after all, it's his boss's.

The owner of our store doesn't want this to blow up (she wants my commission to be as high as possible) but the knowledge that they're charging for the service and just not paying US makes me a little peevish. Maybe more than a little.

She's sent an email to Neighbor Store owner, informing him of the new policy: after the garments currently in the workroom are picked up, nothing is to be dropped off without payment. And yeah, I am thinking about calling the next nearest tailor shop and warning her there may be a new customer knocking on her door, and suggesting she only take cash.

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
    And yeah, I am thinking about calling the next nearest tailor shop and warning her there may be a new customer knocking on her door, and suggesting she only take cash.
    Ask your boss about that one first, just in case. If they're cool with it, also mention why (the payment delays). Boss may even want to suggest a good way to phrase it diplomatically so it doesn't sound like you're trying to just scare them away from a potential client.

But yeah, what the boss told them about needing to pay was the right thing to do.

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You're right, of course.
      I don't give people enough credit; that other business will question what's going on, anyway.

Comment

Most of our customers don't suck...

*...even if I tell them they can instead of giving me a tip
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
          ...I don't give people enough credit ...
          Well, when you give them credit, they take forever to pay it off...
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X