This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
    And if anyone can PLEASE tell me how Beastie Boys and reggae can be considered rock, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Simple, actually. A "back beat." Traditionally, music has the emphasis on the 1 and 3 beats (in 4-4 time) while rock-and-roll has the emphasis on the 2 and 4 beats. That is, rock is one-TWO-three-FOUR. (In 3-4 time, it's one-two-THREE as opposed to traditional ONE-two-three.) So most reggae, pop, and yes, even much of today's "Country" music falls under the general definition of Rock and Roll Music.

BTW, the first "rock" music by the "back-beat" definition actually dates back to the 1890's!
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Go CAP'N GO CAP'N!!

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
        Man, I really hope it's not the jackets. I received one for Christmases from my Dad. My sister says it looks like something a farmer would use. I told her there was a reason for it. These coats are very warm.
        They are very warm, which is why they are popular with the construction guys.

A very good friend of mine received one for Christmas as well, and his exact words were "I hope this doesn't turn me into an asshole."

The clothes do not make the man.
        I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but this thread has been an amusing rollercoaster of topics -- music to rednecks to the pros and cons of Carhartts. I know I have a weird sense of humor, but it's making me laugh (just chuckling not giddy or anything stupid) to read the way this thread has bounced from topic to topic.

As for music, I like a wide variety as anyone who sees my collection would learn. I like everything from Beethoven to Metallica, but most commonly listen to classic rock or country. Aside from those types, I frequently tune in to the local public radio and Christian music stations. I also really like the Soundscapes music channel on my cable (Charter), and frequently tune in to it when I want something totally different. I even have a collection of Soundscapes CD that I listen to when I sleep because I can't sleep in total quiet.

As for rednecks, I'm not one, but I've been raised around them all of my life. I grew up in southern Illinois, and now live in eastern Tennessee. The people are the same. The only difference is topography -- I grew up on flat countryside and now live in the hills near the mountains. Some are real cool friends and others are total jerks. It's the same with any group.

As for Carhartts, they are warm and I'd like one myself. They are also expensive, which is why I don't have one.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Him complaining about classical music? Damn. Reminds me when I used to work opening shift I would turn a radio on to the local classical station. I would forget about it often enough and inevitably getting a from some one who always seemed to want rap playing as loud as possible. That's when I popped in my Beethoven CD and let the person listen to a little 5th. They usually shut up (or went deaf) when it got real quiet then the boom came.
            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Music: I am now up to 4,751 songs equaling out to 13 days worth of music. The last song I just listened to was Serge Gainsbourg's* Black Trombone and now I am listening to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album *2 (That album freaking rocks!). I consider myself a music nerd and am proud of it. I am not as bad as Comic Book Guy though. It helps that I grew up around a family who loved music for what it was.

*: Serge Gainsbourg was a French musician. He covered just about everything from reggae to rock. He is amazing. Check this guy out if you can. Some info.

*2: My Bloody Valentine is a band that inspired bands such as Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails. The album to pick up is Loveless but it is hard to find. I will say to not listen to it as a album you can rock out to in your car. Let's just say the music sounds like it was recorded 20 feet underwater. Fun info on their best album, Loveless.

Carhartt jackets: Can't give my opinion on them but I use Northface jackets for running and such.

Sorry for the music rant but get me started and I go off.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions!!

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                Simple, actually. A "back beat." Traditionally, music has the emphasis on the 1 and 3 beats (in 4-4 time) while rock-and-roll has the emphasis on the 2 and 4 beats. That is, rock is one-TWO-three-FOUR. (In 3-4 time, it's one-two-THREE as opposed to traditional ONE-two-three.) So most reggae, pop, and yes, even much of today's "Country" music falls under the general definition of Rock and Roll Music.
                Thank for the education, and I appreciate it.

However, I still don't know how reggae music can be played on a station that plays rock and metal like MetallicA, Led, NIN, etc.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                  Same with our classic rock station. Often times when they say a certain artist is coming up, for example, Jethro Tull or Warren Zevon, I can tell exactly what song they're going to play; in this case "Locomotive Breath" and "Werewolves of London," respectively.Reggae, yeah, that's a stretch.
                  Around here, Jethro Tull means "Aqualung". :-p

It depends on the station as to what Metallica song they play a lot. I think IROCK plays "Enter Sandman", "For Whom The Bell Tolls" or "Nothing Else Matters". The X will play some of the newer stuff, and The Fox will play some a mix of them.
                  Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth DaleDuke17
                    That doesn't surprise me. At least they changed it after a while so it usually means "Cross-Eyed Mary" every now and then. I think I've only heard "Aqualung" once or twice at work.

On the other hand, one good thing that this station does once a year is to play their entire library from A to Z by song title. It usually takes them a few weeks to go through it all, and it's actually quite a good variety. Too bad they shelve most of that library for the rest of the year.
                    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

• Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                      *2: My Bloody Valentine is a band that inspired bands such as Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails. The album to pick up is Loveless but it is hard to find. I will say to not listen to it as a album you can rock out to in your car. Let's just say the music sounds like it was recorded 20 feet underwater. Fun info on their best album, Loveless.
                      I absolutely love that album too, although, I have to admit, if I went into a store, and "Loveless" was playing, I would feel like I just walked into the Twilight Zone.

Comment

• Quoth daleduke17 View Post
                        In my neck of the woods, the Jethro Tull song I hear on the radio most often is "Locomotive Breath".
                        Good song. I have it on my computer. I think I will listen to it now.
                        I hear "Bungle in the Jungle" every so often too.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• You want OFFENSIVE??? Listen to this:

http://ubu.artmob.ca/sound/komar_mel...wantedSong.mp3

(You can read more about it here...
                          http://www.designobserver.com/archives/030691.html)
                          "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
                          "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
                          --Dilbert

Comment

• Quoth freaktard View Post
                            You want OFFENSIVE??? Listen to this:

Linky no worky!

Comment

• Link didn't work: try this instead:

Will comment on the song later when it finishes downloading

Actually, you know what, screw it. I could only make it through a minute and a half. The instrumental part I heard managed to suck and blow at the same time and I don't think my ears could handle the vocals.
                              Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-06-2008, 01:25 AM.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                                Link didn't work: try this instead:

Will comment on the song later when it finishes downloading

Actually, you know what, screw it. I could only make it through a minute and a half. The instrumental part I heard managed to suck and blow at the same time and I don't think my ears could handle the vocals.
                                That's bloody awful! It reminds me of an old Disney cartoon where Goofy goes to a dude ranch and gets his ass kicked by a bull while Donald Duck tries to rope a calf with the expected results. I never expected to remember that.

Comment

Working...
                                X