This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud of being an SC? [long-ish/language]

I work in a small-ish restaurant in the downtown area of my town. Across the street there is a vacuum shop and the owner of the store (from here on known as R) is friendly with the owners of my restaurant and occasionally comes in for dinner, usually with his girlfriend. A couple weeks ago, his girlfriend came in, sat in the small "lounge" area (basically three armchairs and two small tv-dinner type tables under one of the televisions) and ordered herself a salad. When she was about half done her meal, R comes in to join her. I went over to give him a menu and ask if he'd like anything to drink, and he orders a double gin and something. When I go over to deliver it to him, his girlfriend is sitting in his lap and they're having cuddly time. In my opinion, this isn't really appropriate behaviour for a restaurant, but I ignore it for the time being and ask if he'd like his drink with him, or if I should put it on one of the tables. He looks at me like I have a dick growing out of my head, and, with a huge sneer, jerks his thumb to the table and turns back to his girlfriend.
    When I was in the back, I made a comment to some of the cooks and the owners about why I didn't understand why he felt the need to come into the restaurant and be an asshole when he's friends with the owners and he knows he'll get good service (he would even if he wasn't friends with them)

So, R came back in this week. He walked straight up to the bar and started talking to my manager (one of the co-owners, hereon known as D). He said he wanted food, so she gave him a menu. I assumed it was a to-go order since he wasn't sitting down which meant D could deal with it and I continued with my cleaning. Somewhere in their conversation, he decides that he wants to stay so he seats himself at the table facing the bar so they can continue talking. I ask him if he wants anything to drink.

R: Yeah, give me a Sprite or something
    Me: [pours him a Sprite]
    R: [takes sip] What's in this?
    Me: Uh... Sprite?
    R: Why didn't you put some gin in it or something? I said I wanted a drink!
    Me: ... OK...
    D: You didn't actually say you wanted alcohol. You can't expect her to read your mind.
    R: Fine, but I want a double!

He then starts talking about how earlier that evening he'd gone to another restaurant in town, which is a pizza restaurant and commonly known that the kitchen is run almost entirely by kids under the age of 20. This is the conversation he relayed to me:
    R: I want a steak, medium-rare. Is there anyone in your kitchen capable of cooking a steak properly?
    Server: I believe so
    R: Well, make sure my steak gets cooked by someone competent!
    S: [brings him steak, which turns out to be greatly overcooked]
    R: This steak looks like an old boot! I asked for you to find someone competent to cook it! I should never have come to a restaurant like this and even thought I could have a decent meal! I'm not paying for this shit! I'm leaving!
    S: [cries]
    R: [laughs]

You know, I understand that it's not pleasant to be sent an overcooked meal, but there are diplomatic ways of dealing with it. Any you can guarantee that even if he hadn't made a scene, the manager would probably have comped his meal anyway, so the outburst and making the waitress cry was completely unnecessary.

He then recounts to me another story, about going into a Juicy Couture store to buy something for his girlfriend during Boxing Week sales, and he happened to be wearing a very expensive coat and feeling more up his own ass than usual.
    R: How much are these pants?
    Sales Girl: They are $x today because we are having a 50% off sale!
    R: How much are these pants for me?
    SG: Well, our sale applies to everyone. $x is a great deal!
    R: I'm not buying these pants with a mere 50% off peasant deal! This is all dollar store crap! I'm leaving!

And then he laughs and says that she probably thought he was a big shot director or something because he was so nicely dressed and he bets she wishes she'd offered him a better deal. He goes on to say that that is how he treats every single person in every single store/restaurant he goes to because he feels that he gets better service that way. To which I replied "Not here you won't. If you're an asshole to me, I'll just completely ignore you"

I just am baffled as to why he would feel the need to not only be a dick to everyone, but to brag about it to someone who is in the industry? Also, during this entire conversation he kept making offhand comments about his girlfriend, and how weird and stupid she is, and how he doesn't know where his intentions lie with her. I thought it was completely inappropriate, because she comes into the restaurant fairly often and he knows that we know her. I've made it clear to the owners that I don't appreciate his attitude and don't wish for him to come into the restaurant anymore, but they won't do anything about it. Bah!

those people hes a bastard to? Need to join up and talk to us and you should gang together to ban his ass.

Comment

How does being a complete jerk make a retail establishment kiss your ass for excellent service? Acting as if you got a pole shoved up your ass is no excuse for rude behavior.

Comment

At first, I thought it was going to be, because he was friends with the owner. But then you said this

Quoth Happy Otter Lover View Post
        He goes on to say that that is how he treats every single person in every single store/restaurant he goes to because he feels that he gets better service that way.
        And now, he is simply a ego-inflated dick.
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I feel that he suffers from "SPS".

Small

Penis

Syndrome

"So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            How does being a complete jerk make a retail establishment kiss your ass for excellent service? Acting as if you got a pole shoved up your ass is no excuse for rude behavior.
            Now if you actually have a pole shoved up your ass, I could understand...hmm...maybe the OP should try it and at least give him an excuse for being a miserable SOB...
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
              I feel that he suffers from "SPS".

Small

Penis

Syndrome

Well, I guess I needed to clean my screen anyhow!
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Fortunately, I am not required by the owner to put up with such bullshit. I would straight up tell him, "feel free to never come back."
                Check out my cosplay social group!
                http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

I am willing to bet that TinyPenisMan got sent an overcooked boot instead of a competently cooked steak because someone in the place recognized him. You know? Wanted to make sure he got "excellent service to encourage his return".

Comment

Let this be a lesson, this is what caving in to SC behavior gets. You create an expectation that boorish behavior is what's needed to get what you want. As long as spineless managers and brainless corporate suits continue to give the sceaming assholes what they want, they'll continue to act that way. I mean, why would they stop when everyone runs around wanting to pacify the overgrown toddler making a scene?
                    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                      Let this be a lesson, this is what caving in to SC behavior gets. You create an expectation that boorish behavior is what's needed to get what you want. As long as spineless managers and brainless corporate suits continue to give the sceaming assholes what they want, they'll continue to act that way. I mean, why would they stop when everyone runs around wanting to pacify the overgrown toddler making a scene?
                      A-freakin'-men!!!!

It amazes me that tiny-penis-man is a business owner himself. I wish I knew where his store was. If it was close to me, I'd visit his store and make a complete ass out of myself, just to make his life hell.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Tinypenisman needs the stick taken out of his arse, then have it used to bash him around the head until he has had a brain adjustment and then shove the pole right back up there just for shits and giggles.
                        Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

I worked with a guy like that. He'd go into various food establishments, bitch about the prices and/or portion sizes...and then couldn't figure out why he got such poor service. As if that wasn't enough, he'd also try to negotiate a lower price on things like... a $2 sandwich Eventually, he did that to enough people, that he couldn't even get a meal within walking distance, and got into trouble with the boss when they told him about it.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

He needs many, many, MANY trips through the chipper.

I'll get it going.

Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'll do my part.

I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Working...
                              X