This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
    Now just close your eyes and picture THAT, with a British accent. Every time I do, I giggle uncontrollably.
    My friends had to remove me from a pub once when a chav came up to me (hearing my US accent) and asked me - in full out wigger way - what kind of gun I had - I burst out laughing.

Back to the first story - the lady marched you down the street to another bar?! I'm betting she had enough wine for the day already.

Comment

I guess the dumb Amurhikhun in me always thinks of Brits as very refined, polite and proper.
      To be honest this is always my first thought of Brits as well - maybe it's the fact that you "speak our language" but have the marvelous accent, so you sound a bit more sophisticated. Of course it does make understanding some of your television a pain in the ass...

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
      Oh gods, don't say that! Most Brits only know Southern Americans based on Dukes of Hazzard.

I like that show as much as the next girl but realism? Accuracy? Um, not so much.
      But what a life: hot women running around in next to nothing, and guys who spend most of their time having adventures in their muscle car. Sounds MUCH better then being a cubicle rat.

Quoth fish3k1 View Post
      Alas, as far as I'm aware, the Chav disease had been quarantined to our wonderful little section of the world... they don't even have them in the rest of Europe, let alone the US.
      Oh we have 'em. They're called thugs, hooligans, gangsters, punks, wannabes, wiggers, or white-trash. I bet every country has something like this - we all just have different names for 'em.
      Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Chav=Ali G??

Comment

We do have something similar to chavs. We call them wannabes.
          Poseurs.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sorry to picket my pet peeve here, i don't feel offended or anything but I need to say this. I hope you meant Southern North Americans.. I'm Venezuelan, and I'm a South American. I'm not part of the USA, and I am still an American since it should apply to anybody from the american continent/s (some people teach it's one cont, some teach it's two.).
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

You're absolutely right, mea culpa. I probably should say Southern USA but that just looks awkward. I'll have to look for a concise descriptor.
              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                Sorry to picket my pet peeve here, i don't feel offended or anything but I need to say this. I hope you meant Southern North Americans.. I'm Venezuelan, and I'm a South American. I'm not part of the USA, and I am still an American since it should apply to anybody from the american continent/s (some people teach it's one cont, some teach it's two.).
                While you're certainly correct, I think most people associate "American" with someone from the United States. Most citizens of this country I believe think of themselves as Americans (as opposed to "United Statians" or such) and I think most folks from other countries (at least to the East and West) think Americans=United States.
                Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

I thought he said "Super Salad" rather that "Soup or Salad"
                  So does that mean the tomatoes have little red capes or something?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    So does that mean the tomatoes have little red capes or something?
                    Well, there is a restaurant chain in the Southwest called Souper Salad...
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Oh gods, don't say that! Most Brits only know Southern Americans based on Dukes of Hazzard.
                      *slight wince* American Southerners, actually. Southern Americans are what we call Colombians, Brazilians, etc. We of the American Deep South place nationality afore region.

Quoth fish3k1 View Post
                      Alas, as far as I'm aware, the Chav disease had been quarantined to our wonderful little section of the world... they don't even have them in the rest of Europe, let alone the US.
                      We do have them in the US. They're usually called 'white trash' or to be less polite, 'wiggers'. Myself, I prefer a very high-pitched screech of "WIGGITY WIGGITY WHITE BOY!!!" This usually serves to provoke some meaningless posturing in the local Waffle House.

Comment

Picturing THAT with a British accent is just KILLING me.
                        Look up Lady Sovereign on the Youtube. No, really.
                        It's quite cute.

Comment

Quoth BlackIronCrown View Post
                          We do have them in the US. They're usually called 'white trash' or to be less polite, 'wiggers'. Myself, I prefer a very high-pitched screech of "WIGGITY WIGGITY WHITE BOY!!!" This usually serves to provoke some meaningless posturing in the local Waffle House.
                          Not necessarily quite the same thing - Chavs aren't always trying to be 'gangsta', more often they're just scum-of-the-earth, unwashed, benefit-fraud claiming, shell-suit wearing, cheap-beer drinking trouble-makers. The kind of people who go out with a bottle of White Lightning (cheap-as-piss cider) and start looking for fights to cause.

We hate them soooo very much. For more information on this social disease, click here.

Oh, and they tend not to talk with what most of you are referring to as a 'British' accent - that is to say, a well-spoken English accent. They usually speak in some kind of unintelligible dialect that sounds like they swallowed a nose whistle.
                          ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

*checks out wiki article*
                            .... they tuck track suit pants into their socks??? I'm no fashionista, but...
                            What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                              She leads me outside...it is pissing down with rain. We walk...and we walk...and we walk.
                              I think the moment we stepped from the front of the bar I worked at - I would've stopped right there and asked her to point to it - if she said we had some walking to do - I would've told her something to the effect that she'd be walking alone.
                              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                                I think the moment we stepped from the front of the bar I worked at - I would've stopped right there and asked her to point to it - if she said we had some walking to do - I would've told her something to the effect that she'd be walking alone.
                                Well, yes and no - it is always possible that there's a sign down the street to try and pull people in - but you would have to assume the bar staff would know about it (I mean, someone has to bring it in at night) or that at the very least, they'd know if they had £1.49 wines available.

'Course having said that, I think you might just follow out of dumbfounded curiosity :P
                                ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Working...
                                X