This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carwash stupidity

A few years ago, I used to work for a petrol station, BP-Supermart (a BP Petrol station but with a Supermart shop, for those that don’t follow me on that one) and we used to get our fair share of suckey customers, but this one really took the biscuit.

Ok, lets set the scene. It’s mid-summer on a Wednesday afternoon. The sun is BLAZEING, I can actually see the heat waves coming up off the road the petrol station sat on the corner of. We’ve got the Air conditioning on maximum, so it’s nice and cool. I’m on shift with a guy called “Snypa” (Sohaib…I have no idea where his nickname came from) and it’s the dead part of the sift, so I am sitting on the counter chatting to Snypa, both of us drinking a coke and not doing any work. There was none to do. For a change, all the equipment was working, the previous shift had done all their work so as a result of that, and it being a quiet day, we had got most of our work done, Snypa just had to stock up the cold drinks.

Our conversation was broken when we heard “Clack! Beep-Beep!” when the door opened. Snypa went back to work and I served the woman (who shall now be referred to as SC) who had just come in.

Me: Hiya. How can I help?
    SC: Hi. Is your car wash working?
    Me: Yeah. Which program do you want?
    SC: The top one please
    Me: Ok *Pulls a token out and types it into the till* that’s £4.99 please.
    SC: *Hands over £5*
    Me: Thanks. Ok. Penny’s your change. The car wash entrance is on the other side. Push the token in, press the start button and drive forwards. When the lights on the wash gantry say “Stop” stop right there and turn your engine off.
    SC: Thanks *Walks out*

So, I’m stading there, and I have nothing better to do than either stare at the till as it tells me the solar panels on the roof are working at full power, or watch the woman in the car wash. I chose carwash. It went through all it’s usual motions. High pressure rinse/shampoo, wash with foam, rinse, Wax, dry…done. SC Starts her engine and I turn my head away to reach for my coke. As I do that the SC comes back in

SC: Excuse me
    Me: *Mouth full of coca cola* Hmm? *Swallows*
    SC: I’ve just paid £4.99 for that car wash and it hasn’t cleaned my car
    Me: I was standing here watching it. The wash machine worked, I saw it.
    SC: Well I’m not satisfied. It didn’t clean it.
    Me: Ok *grabs another token* I’ll come out with you this time and make sure the machine washes the car. Snypa, just watch the till for me?
    Snypa: Sure

So we go outside, and I look at the car as I pass it. I should point out that she was driving a new VW beetle. These cars are very round and carwashes stuggle with them but sure enough, it’s clean. I tell her to drive back into the carwash and I’ll start it from where I am.

She gets in her car, drives in up to the gantry and I start the machine. I stay standing there while it runs through the whole program and, sure enough, I can see everything that would happen normally.

The machine finishes, I walk back into the shop. Considering our uniforms are black, so they absorb sunlight and heat up rather quickly, it was nice to walk back into an environment that felt like it was the Antarctic. I get back to the till just in time for SC to come back in again

SC: I’m still not satisfied! The car hasn’t been dried properly. I want my money back
    Me: There is a disclaimer on the carwash that states “due to differences in the shapes of cars, simonz nor BP can guarantee perfect results” your car is an odd shape
    SC: It should still dry it perfectly
    Me: It’s only a blow-dryer. It doesn’t heat the air to evaporate all the water. It literally just blasts the majority of it off the car. I’m not giving you your money back. You’ve had 2 car washes, your car is clean
    SC: Is that how you treat all your customers?

My patience is wearing very thin, VERY quickly

Me: Only the ones that have got exactly what they paid for then want more
    SC: fine! I’ll never come here again. I get better service at Morrisons anyway
    Me: They use the same wash machine as we do, and BP supply their fuel. If you think you can get a better wash there, go ahead.
    SC: *Storms out*
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Hello? It's BLAZING outside! Even if the blowdryer didn't get it all off, the SUN fucking WILL! Oh no, you might get some spottiness!
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Good for you.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd another point for the Flea! Judges, what say you?
        Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
          Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd another point for the Flea! Judges, what say you?

SC Guilty as charged! I sentence her to 10 years of washing her car with the garden hose and a bucket.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Damn woman, if you're going to be that picky, do it yourself! Aye chingao!

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
            Ok, lets set the scene. It’s mid-summer on a Wednesday afternoon. The sun is BLAZEING, I can actually see the heat waves coming up off the road the petrol station sat on the corner of.
            I just have to ask....what temperature do you consider "blazing" to be? 'Cause around here, it's at least 90 degrees F. Not trying to call you a wimp or anything, I'm just fascinated by how warped our view of "hot" or "windy" is here!
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

The only issue I have with car washes are the 'touchless' ones. They really don't get the car clean. Even my windscreen will still have the wiper-outline after going thru one. The high-powered jets really don't do all that well on getting even a thin layer of dirt off. But it is hard to find car washes at fuel stations that aren't touchless around here.
              "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                The only issue I have with car washes are the 'touchless' ones. They really don't get the car clean. Even my windscreen will still have the wiper-outline after going thru one. The high-powered jets really don't do all that well on getting even a thin layer of dirt off. But it is hard to find car washes at fuel stations that aren't touchless around here.
                i think the biggest reason for that is that the brush ones have a bad habit of snapping radio antennas
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  i think the biggest reason for that is that the brush ones have a bad habit of snapping radio antennas
                  Which is why there are big signs saying to put your antenna down. Doesn't stop us pulling at least one broken antenna out of there each month though!

I use the self-serve high pressure hose myself. Although when I did it during our last heatwave, the soap dried up before I had a chance to hose it off.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    SC Guilty as charged! I sentence her to 10 years of washing her car with the garden hose and a bucket.
                    Yes! And she can do all of ours here as well. Then we'll put her out to wash any car needing it to raise money for...oh, a vacation for all of us! Woo hoo!
                    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't get their car washed?

If I feel up to it, I might get in my bikini and wash my car the old fashioned way....because after that, it's time to wash the dog and she tends to put up a fight...

Oh wait...I'm deathly afraid of car washes.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                        oh, at least during the winter I wash my car and wash it often... keep it up during the summer too... don't know if it actually helps in the summer other than making the car look better but in the winter Salt Lake still uses salt on the roads so if you don't wash it will damage the paint and lower the eventual resale value.
                        this of course could be of no use in warmer areas or places that have moved beyond old fashioned salt.
                        Last edited by protege; 04-10-2008, 06:21 PM. Reason: Quote tag :)
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I don't wash my car, much.

My last car got a regular hosing off, but I don't have a hose, here, so the car gets to stay grubby.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            Well, that and the little problem if a brush gets something caught in it. My dad had that happen, and it basically acted as a paint stripper, taking a stripe off the side of his car. Then came the big hassle of the place falling back on the old not-responsible-for-any-damage clause, and follow up finger pointing. I can understand why he only uses touchless now.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                              Nope.

The man of the household™ has had his car for about five years now and still has not taken it to a carwash. Hell, he hasn't even gone the hose and bucket route.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X