Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife & I prefer the bucket and rag method. It actually gets the car clean! because you can make sure you hit every spot.

But we live in perpetual drought here it seems, so we are banned from washing the cars most of the time anyway.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      I just have to ask....what temperature do you consider "blazing" to be? 'Cause around here, it's at least 90 degrees F. Not trying to call you a wimp or anything, I'm just fascinated by how warped our view of "hot" or "windy" is here!
      Flea, like me is in England, I'd have to say that our concepts of warm and hot are far removed form yours:P

to us (or at least me,) about 12-15 degrees C is mild 20-25 is warm(ish; depends on windchill) and hot would be around 30.. so that about 86 degrees F

although; even if it's 10 degrees out and the sun comes out we WILL go outside, just to enjoy it because it's so damn rare. ><
      Last edited by Gwen_Goth; 04-09-2008, 05:56 PM.
      sorry for my horrendous spelling; English is my first language, and I'm not dyslexic. I'm just shite at spelling

Comment

I suppose it depends where in the USA you are too because around here 85 is fairly warm for us. Of course this is coming from a part of the country where the average temperature in the spring time is 65 - 75F and the average temp in the summer is 80-90F. We of course also have crap tons of humidity where I am being so close to Lake Erie.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          I might get in my bikini and wash my car the old fashioned way....
          I can't believe the guys on here passed up on the opportunity to make a the obvious comment. So I will...

This thread is useless without pictures.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            Which is why there are big signs saying to put your antenna down.
            What about those of us that don't have that option though?
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              In my experience, non-telescopic antennas can be unscrewed.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                What e_h said.

I haven't had to worry about the antenna for a long time. My last three cars were all missing their antennas.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  What e_h said.

I haven't had to worry about the antenna for a long time. My last three cars were all missing their antennas.

^-.-^
                  Anyway, the ones we pull out of the car wash are usually the telescopic kind. They get wrapped around the brushes. Next time I find one I'll try to remember to take a photo.

Comment

Yeah, 86 to us here in SC, it's not considered all that hot. Not when you consider that it's not unheard of to go weeks at a time when it tops 100 with high humidity. Sometimes the heat index here is off the scale in the summer if it threatens to rain and then doesn't.

I wash my car, but only when it's warm (and by "warm" I mean upper 70's.) If I can't wear shorts and no shoes, it is not getting done. I live 2-3 hours from the ocean, so, no salt. I usually wash it in the fall before it gets cold, and then don't wash it again till spring. Unless we have a nice warm afternoon on some day I'm off. Then I might.

Comment

I don't wash my car much either. There's really no point. As much as I like a clean car, it's pointless--the car sits outside all the time. No sooner do I wash it, that it rains...or the wind blows tree pollen all over it. When I do finally clean it, I run it through the car wash...or the nearest big puddle
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Unfortunately, mine don't do that. But then, I don't go to car washes either! I go the old bucket and sponge route. Come to think of it, more of a sponge bath than an all out washing.

That has to wait until it's warm. Which is not today! Low 50s, 30 mile-an-hour winds! Yesterday, we had dreich and by Monday it's going to be hitting 80. Welcome to New Mexico....if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes!
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

*thinking of Blas in a bikini chasing a wet dog....

What? I'm allowed to be a guy, aren't I?

Anyhow, I too wash my car the old fashioned way. Not so much a pretty visual though.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I suppose if every winter after this one is going to follow the same suit, I better have someone wash it for me. I get a free token every time I get my oil changed. Seriously, I have like 10 free car wash tokens and they just sit there cuz I'm so scared.

I would rather picture IPF in a bikini washing my dog. The last time I tried to wash Bear, she flipped over her wading pool (yes, my parents bought the DOG her OWN POOL!!!) and I mud wrestled with the dog and the neighbor's ankle biter heard the commotion and promptly got loose and ran over to play, and her owner stomped through the bushes and nearly had a coronary.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Around here there are two reasons to wash your car (for those of us who don't otherwise care): salt & pollen. My car is literally green right now from all the pollen. It's no use washing it until pollen season is over, either; it'll just be covered again in a matter of hours. That's right, at this very moment, there are trees having non consensual sex with my car.

As for the former, well, let's just say that I had one car change colors after I washed it. It turned out to be a not-too-bad creamy beige color. Yes, it had been that long since I had worried about salt damage.

How is it I only get offered those free car wash tokens when I don't have the time to indulge? Since I live in a complex where they frown on the bucket method (don't ask me why, I don't know), I go to the do-it-yourself wash a couple miles away.

Of course, right now, carwashes are pretty much verboten. Although we did just back off from stage 3 water restriction to stage 1, so maybe that will be eased too. All that rain recently really helped.

And most of this post is pretty random. I either need less caffeine or more.
                              I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                                How is it I only get offered those free car wash tokens when I don't have the time to indulge? Since I live in a complex where they frown on the bucket method (don't ask me why, I don't know), I go to the do-it-yourself wash a couple miles away.
                                Could be the soaps and things damage the pavement they've got, or maybe the sewers there aren't really that great and could have problems if a couple people were washing their cars at the same/similar times. Hard to know without being there. Could also be a completely BS reason. *shrug*
                                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                                X