This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Questions

Just some of my favorites from working in the craft store.

(SC in these cases may well mean silly customer as many were polite, just ill informed)

Me = (duh )
    thoughts in itallic

we are not a post office

For some reason we get requests for a lot of office supplies. Things like boxes, envelopes, lots of requests for stationary and address labels. But I wasn't expecting it when an elderly man came in and asked for stamps. Being an arts and crafts store my first thought was rubber stamps, so I directed him there. He came back and said there were none.

Me: WTF? there's a whole wall full!

So I asked someone to show him for me since I couldn't leave my register. She came back and explained that he wanted postage stamps. Oooooooooh...still

we are not target

A boy about 11 or 13 runs to the front of my line and asks

B: Where's your ATM?
    Me: We don't have an ATM
    B: What the F#^k? This isn't Target?

He looks around and runs out the door cursing. I stood there confused for a moment but my whole line bust out laughing.

we are not a department store

I was minding my own business when a man comes up and asks

M: Do you sell vacuum cleaners?
    Me: Noooooo...
    M: begins talking to his wife, both look confused and look around to make sure I'm not lying I guess, and leave.

do you have to ask?

A lady at checkout turns to me as if she just realized she forgot something and asks

L: Oh, do you sell art supplies?

no, only squares

Lady: Do you sell anything round?
    Me: (I looked at her for a second in the hopes she may elaborate, but alas) How do you mean?
    L: I just need something round. My daughter's doing a school project.

After a bit I learn from her that she needs to make a pie chart and suggest the foam circles.

I wouldn't try it

There are some aisles I dislike working in as I don't have all the knowledge of all the items. But I can usually find the answer, I didn't know what to say to this one.

Lady: Hi, about these inks (ink pads for stamping), do you know if you could eat the ink?
    Me: You, uh, wanna eat the ink?
    L: Well I'm making something that needs edible inks for decorating it. But they're to expensive, this is a better price. It says "non-toxic" on it, so would it be safe?
    Me: Uhhhhh, I... wouldn't recommend it....
    wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
    ----
    Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

People seem to get confused between a health, vitamins and sports nutrition shop and a chemist and ask us if we sell:
    • Painkillers
    • Antihistamines
    • Whatever their prescription is, and can we fill it
    • Tights
    • Various drugs that only chemists are legally allowed to sell

and some fairly random ones...
    • Shoes (didn't this used to be a shoe shop?)
    • Hair-brushes
    • Curlers
    • Underwear
    • Walking sticks

When they are told either 'I'm sorry, but you'll have to go to a chemist for that. We're not a chemist' or 'I'm sorry. we don't hold that sort of line.' They frequently get angry and blame us for the fact that we, uh, don't sell that.
    Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Edible inks and dyes are expensive because they don't ruin the flavor of your food. Moron lady!
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Because it says "non-toxic" on it doesn't mean that you can eat it & not suffer ill effects from it. Yeah, soap is non-toxic too but if you eat it, your stomach is likely to say "Hell No!!" & make you hurl...lol.

Comment

Even if it didn't make you sick it probably wouldn't taste good.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
            Because it says "non-toxic" on it doesn't mean that you can eat it & not suffer ill effects from it. Yeah, soap is non-toxic too but if you eat it, your stomach is likely to say "Hell No!!" & make you hurl.
            I once got chocolate from an airline kids meal that tasted like soap. Sadly that was an imporovement over most of the other airlines' foods.

No I don't know why I knew that was soap flavour. I assume I swallowed bath water when I was younger. Don't look at me like that.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

It's from all those times your Mom washed your mouth out with soap for using foul language.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                I once got chocolate from an airline kids meal that tasted like soap. Sadly that was an imporovement over most of the other airlines' foods.
                I have a friend who once ate some honey soap. To see if it really tasted like honey. It did, but it tasted like soap too.

Comment

"Do you see art supplies?"

"no, the arts part of the name of the store is just there to confuse you."

I hate it when customers ask me shit like the "ooh can I eat the non edible ink?"
                  I'm not allowed to say "fuck if I know"
                  you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

L: Well I'm making something that needs edible inks for decorating it. But they're to expensive, this is a better price. It says "non-toxic" on it, so would it be safe?
                    Don't you hate when the customer places you between them and their long overdue appointment with the Grim Reaper? Temptations temptations...

"Why yes Mame, in fact the more the merrier! This will actually De-toxify you! And feel free to follow it up with a big ol' jug of Draino!"
                    Last edited by Leopardmadcat; 06-23-2008, 06:10 AM.
                    *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
                    *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

When I used to work in Pier1 we had a lot of people get pissy when we didn't have the kind of stuff they were looking for. I always loved it when people complained, "well I can get this for cheaper at target!" and I just wanted to yell back, "SO GO GET IT AT TARGET!"
                      This message brought to you by a hopeless pop-culture-obsessed social reject.

Comment

The talk about non toxic reminded me of this. Just a funny little anecdote of mine.

When I graduated High School, my mother threw this big party. A number of family friends came over, my girlfriend, her parents, and siblings, and some guys who my father was very close with at work. Now since there were at least a dozen people there, mom and dad decided to have a kind of buffet serve yourself dinner. Everything was laid out on the counter tops with food at regular intervals.

During one round, I watched this one guy (who I'll call R) look at something on his plate and make a funny face. Turning to K, the guy next to him, he asked something about it and then shrugged before poking it and taking a bite. I swear, R gagged visibly before looking to my mother. "Miss J" he said meekly. "I think the trifle is bad."

My mother looked at him and blinked. "Trifle? What trifle?"

R looked back at her, poking his plate "you know, the berry trifle in the tiny crock pot."

Looking at him she laughed it off. "R, you nut. You know that's not Trifle. That's my potpourri pot!" It wasn't until the look on his face that she realized what had happened.

R, thinking the potpourri was food (and not willing to ask anyone else) had gotten him a bit of it on his plate and was trying his darnedest to eat it. He didn't want to offend mom, but didn't want to look stupid asking about the food.
                        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I had kind of an odd request from a table the other day. They had ordered buffalo wings....and asked if they could have gloves.

Yes, gloves.

I brought them more napkins and tried not to laugh my ass off.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                            He didn't want to offend mom, but didn't want to look stupid asking about the food.
                            In his second endeavor, he failed rather miserably!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post

R, thinking the potpourri was food (and not willing to ask anyone else) had gotten him a bit of it on his plate and was trying his darnedest to eat it.
                              Please tell R he broke my brain. And i'm pretty sure i needed that brain
                              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X