This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing the cancer card again

Guest: yea Dave, my mama has cancer and we are looking to take her to the beach befire she dies, lemme tell you what I need.....first off, its got to be oceanfront and it has to be 5 star, 4 stars just wont do. It has to have a private pool, a hot tub, a pool table, hardwood floors, and I want plasma TV's in every bedroom. So um what do you have?

(I tell him the price)

Guest: Dave, thats just too much money. We are on a budget here.

Me: well thats the price but I may have some alternatives within your price range.

Guest: No Dave, my mama just wont enjoy it if its not the best. Cant you call the owner and tell him my mama has cancer and wants to see the beach before she dies and we aint got but a few hundred bucks to spend for the week (oh did I mention this was in July)

Me: sir that property rents for $12,208

Guest: I know but my mama is dying. I mean the owner wont cut us a break and make a special exception

Me: no sir

Guest: well can you at least call and ask him?

Me: no sir

Guest: well I guess my mama is gonna die without ever seeing the ocean, not that you really care. Thanks for nothing, you jerk. CLICK

Sympathy card? Check.
    Pity me card? Check?
    "Your boss would do it" card? Kinda check...
    An SC, to be sure. Hey, guy, beaches are usually free... you don't need all the luxuries to enjoy the surf and sun...
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Id want to see some proof of this cancer they talk about

I could totally see a scammer using an illness to get free stuff
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

You kinda feel bad for the woman, seeing as she is dying of cancer (according to the cust's.) However, it is not right to blame the OP for the prices. IMO, it is worth it to spend a little money to make the woman happy. If that was a relative of mine, I wouldn't hesitate.
        I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My mother's last wish is to have a pool table and plasma tv's in every bedroom!
          Um what.
          Go to a motel on the beach if you're so desperate, loser. The important part is spending time with your mother before she dies, that is if she is dying and this isn't something you made up. People like this make me angry! If she really was dying they should know what's truly important!
          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Smells scam to me. Similar thing happened to my Grandmother. She rented out her seaside cabin in the summer and was pressured into letting it go for half the price because a guy said his Dad had cancer and wanted to see the ocean. They stayed there for 2 weeks, and 2 days before they were to leave, Gran baked up a bunch of cookies and other pastries and brought them to the cabin, being the kind soul she is, and being that she had lost her brother to cancer a few years earlier, she just wanted to give her support. When she got there, there was a group of 20'something's there. Asking for the young man who had originally made the call to her, she presented him with the goodies and asked him how is father was enjoying his stay, and how sorry she was that he had cancer. Clue in the buddies who said 'Dude - your dad has cancer?" Naturally - the father wasn't even there.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Agree with the others - total scammer! His mom has to have a plasma tv in every room...Riiight.
              Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

Why would you need all that stuff if you are dying and want to see the ocean. Wouldn't you want to sit in the sand and watch the sun rise and set, get your feet wet in the water, collect some beautiful shells the things you normally do at the beach, not sit in front of a tv in bed.

To me complete scammer.
                Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

I'm conveinced that there is a special part of hell for people like this. Maybe they weren't lying,I dunno. My grandma died last year of lung and brain cancer. She suffered so much and it was a relief when she passed. It never amazes me how adults act. I've seen adults almost throw themselves in the floor,scream and kick when they don't get their way. But using the diease route is just gross.

Comment

Where's that "I smell bullshit" picture someone posted a while back?

Because that guy's story just reeks of it. If a relative of mine was dying of cancer, I'd take her to a seaside motel or something. I'd rather spend time, not money, on her.

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post

Because that guy's story just reeks of it. If a relative of mine was dying of cancer, I'd take her to a seaside motel or something. I'd rather spend time, not money, on her.
                      I'd love a copy of that pic!

And I'll bet the farm that "Mama" does not exist!!!

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post

Oh you mean....THIS?

Too bad we don't have a button for cases like this:

Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 08-16-2008, 07:12 AM.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I once had a person wanting to go from Los Angeles to Las Vegas Friday night to Sunday night with a one day notice. When I quoted him the full fare, which is what he qualified for, he asked if there were any bereavement fares.
                          I told him I would hold the fare for him and he could check around with the other airlines because in many cases our full fare was lower than their bereavement fares.

"That's not much help to the bereaved now is it?!" He exclaimed then hung up.

I didn't really buy the guy's story. I think he was just some guy who wanted a quick cheap Vegas weekend getaway.

But even if his store WERE true. Don't you think he would have been less concerned with a discount and more concerned with getting to where he was going whether by plane, boat, bus, car, train etc...?

I had people tell me "Look I need to get there and I don't care how much it costs."

Many times we would honor a 14 day advance purchase fare in lieu of a bereavement fare but the passenger had to provide documentation.

I hate people who pull "sympathy" scams. Like the guest in the OP they try to manipulate and cajole by telling stories designed to make you feel guilty if you're not accommodating. "My mamma's gonna die and it's all your fault."

Besides, sounds to me like a discount is more important to him than his. "Mamma"
                          I don't like your attitude!
                          Yeah? Well you're not EATING my attitude!

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                            Id want to see some proof of this cancer they talk about

I could totally see a scammer using an illness to get free stuff
                            Yeah! Meanwhile, those of us who do have cancer are busy looking for a second job and scraping together whatever cash we can get just to pay for a CT scan to make sure nothing has spread from the original spot where it's still easily treatable.

Selfish s!
                            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                            - IPF

Comment

That's pretty freakin' sleazy. When my brother was dying of cirrhosis it never occurred to go to different businesses to ask for discounted for free stuff because of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X