This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
    Funny, I find that the editing of the dialog, at least in the anime that I own) to be more to filter out the lines that we Americans aren't likely to get and tend to be simply Advanced Dialog Replacement to make English fit the mouth movements a little better. Since my Anime titles have both sub and dub, I can do a side-by-side comparison and I've noticed little change to the story.

M
    Clearly you have never witnessed the travesty that is the original dub of Nausicaa, that resulted in a katana bearing the message, "No cuts." being sent to some bigwig at Disney prior to the production of the new one.

Warriors of the Wind completely butchered Miyazaki's masterpiece.

Because 4Kids and a couple of other publishers ruined good anime.
    Bandai changed some lines in Haruhi Suzumiya to tone them down for the prudish US.

Bandai also screwed up the episode order of Suzumiya for the "normal" DVDs, and produced a "collectors edition" alongside them with the correct episode order.

Tokyopop butchered Initial D in the dub, and changed certain aspects of a certain character even in the sub.

And I don't think the heavy and often nonsensical editing of anime on Cartoon Network even need be mentioned. (too bad this list stops in '05: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/edit-list )

(except for the four OVA prequel episodes).
    Don't forget the two OVA sequel episodes.

...am i living up to my name yet?
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
      Little Brother(LB): <smugly and snidely, like I'm 4, instead of 24> But we should probably stop talking, so we don't confuse the poor cashier girl.
      Not to threadjack, but that happens to me all the time at my store. These women assume I'm practically aphasic since I work in a store. I once had a woman get all the way to my register before starting to talk to another woman in line. After a few minutes of throat clearing while waiting for payment, she finally turns to me and says, "I went to college with her. You know how it is when old college friends meet again." She kept emphasizing "college" and smirking. After she paid, I said "Yes ma'am, I'm the same way with my graduate school friends." I don't like to act pissy towards people, but she was so sanctimonious!

Comment

darwin candidate

I believe for someone to win a Darwin Award, they have to have died or been rendered incapable of reproduction.
        Did you do something to the customer that you're not sharing?
        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
          I believe for someone to win a Darwin Award, they have to have died or been rendered incapable of reproduction.
          Did you do something to the customer that you're not sharing?
          I plead the fifth...

Comment

Yay for pwning stupid frosh imbeciles! Even more yay for the older brother loving it.

Quoth Iris Kojiro View Post
            I'm into a bit of anime, though I got out of it a couple of years ago. Before then, I tried my hand at cosplaying a couple of times. It wasn't great by any means, but I had fun with it and am considering coming back.

My friend got me hooked on Rurouni Kenshin, and that was what introduced me to anime. I now have the full manga series as well as the animated series (except for the four OVA prequel episodes).
            Yay Kenshin! Still my favorite manga, and the anime is pretty damn awesome as well, even if I hated how much of a godmoder Shishio seemed to be in the anime. (Somehow, the manga Shishio didn't seem quite so bad.)
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
              Sweet! Two proposals in one day, all because of my love of anime/manga.
              I have to throw my hat into the ring too. I have to know how you feel about Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (The Wallflower), The Slayers, Utewarerumono, Kenichi, and World's Strongest Butler Hayate. Those are some of my faves ATM.

Perhaps a short dating period where we can watch each other's series' to see if we'll work out?
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                If you could patton that, you'd never work again....
                That made me laugh. I used to work at the US Patent Office. One day I got a letter addressed to the US Patton Office.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  I have to throw my hat into the ring too. I have to know how you feel about Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (The Wallflower), The Slayers, Utewarerumono, Kenichi, and World's Strongest Butler Hayate. Those are some of my faves ATM.

Perhaps a short dating period where we can watch each other's series' to see if we'll work out?
                  Yamato: Watched the entire anime and about died laughing, but the manga is even more hilarious, if possible!

Slayers: Have EVERYTHING except Revolution, which means I have Slayers, Next, Try, and all the movies. Fantastic series. And very soon, I hope to acquire Revolution, actually.

Utewarerumono: Not a 100% favorite of mine, but it had it's highlights. Kind of a lighter version of 12 Kingdoms in a way, but more in line with Bleach or Naruto. BTW, if you are a diehard Naruto fan, this relationship may be doomed from the start...I'm just saying...

Hayate: I just about died laughing at some of the stuff this anime parodied. Like poking fun at all the stereotypes of anime, but in a tasteful, mature way, yet while being hilarious, and nowhere near as insane as Excel Saga.

Hmm, as to the short dating period...short is up for definition, especially if we're watching each other's series because to date, I've got about 130, maybe 140. Currently I'm working on Nijuu Mensou no Musume, Gilgamesh, Elfin Leid, and D. Gray-man. Which reminds me, I need to update my list of series and synopses, I don't think I have all the newer series I've acquired on there...

So, do we sound compatible?

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                    Clearly you have never witnessed the travesty that is the original dub of Nausicaa, that resulted in a katana bearing the message, "No cuts." being sent to some bigwig at Disney prior to the production of the new one.
                    Apparaently the only editing of the dub for Pom Poko was the word "testicles" into "pouches" or something similar. And yes, I do like my anime both subbed and dubbed (I watch Super Sentai subbed, I also watch any anime I borrow/buy subbed and dubbed) but in some cases, I will go dubbed as the DVDs I borrow are usually uncut (Kaleido Star, DN Angel and so forth) or I'll watch an episode dubbed and then subbed if the dubbed version sounds annoying as hell (Sora in Kaleido Star)
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                      ... or I'll watch an episode dubbed and then subbed if the dubbed version sounds annoying as hell (Sora in Kaleido Star)
                      Ouch. Thanks for reminding me of that one. You owe me some asprin for the headache the memory of that voice brought. The Slayers dubs are pretty good for the various TV series, also. Some of the movies have an actress for Lina that tries for the high voice way too hard, and squeeks when she's talking, though.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        Ouch. Thanks for reminding me of that one. You owe me some asprin for the headache the memory of that voice brought. The Slayers dubs are pretty good for the various TV series, also. Some of the movies have an actress for Lina that tries for the high voice way too hard, and squeeks when she's talking, though.
                        *hands you aspirin *

Does that make you feel better?
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

He wanted you to order a pizza for him just because he didn't want to wait? What the hell? That kid needs his ass kicked.

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                          Apparaently the only editing of the dub for Pom Poko was the word "testicles" into "pouches" or something similar.
                          That's probably because Pom Poko is about tanuki(not raccoons!). In Japanese culture, the tanuki are the symbol of ferility. Hence whenever they are portrayed in old statues, they have HUGE FREAKIN' BALLS. Sometimes, they are also portrayed as old men with huge balls.
                          Last edited by Broomjockey; 09-06-2008, 09:05 PM. Reason: consecutive posts
                          Check out my cosplay social group!
                          http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

WTF is it with people and taxes? You pay em', you get roads to drive on. End of story.

If you're gonna bitch about something, bitch about how the dollars are misspent instead of arguing there shouldn't ever be any at ALL. Enjoy breaking your axle on thosde bad roads there buddy.

Comment

stabbity death
                              I loled. Can I borrow that term for future use?

I prefer dubs when I'm watching an anime for the first time, cuz otherwise I end up missing parts of the action while I'm reading the subs. I have noticed that in American edits of certain animes *cough*Naruto*cough*, what gets the chop every time is blood. Yup; any evidence of blood is ruthlessly edited out. Example; when Kankuro finally finishes Sakon (or whatever his/their name is; I can't be arsed to go look it up) by locking him in one puppet then sending the other one's knife tipped arms into the slots... in the dub, no blood comes out of the holes. Also; sake = elixir, Drunken Fist = Loopy Fist. I totally died laughing watching that episode, knowing it was horribly edited cuz I'd viewed the scene in sub before, with the real words included.
                              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Princess Mononoke forever turned me away from dubbing.

Southern and English and American and Black accents all put together with Japanese people... uggg.
                                Last edited by Anriana; 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X