This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Slightly Stupid to Explosively Angry

On the phone again today for part of my shift. It's back-to-school season, so the computer department is always busy. And with the prices we have on notebook computers this year, that's understandable. Seriously, we have some really good deals every week.

However, our supply never quite meets our customers' demands, and we're often completely sold out of anything between $400 and $600 before the weekly sale ends. Most people have actually been pretty reasonable about it so far. But the school start dates are getting closer, and they're starting to feel the pressure, and that pressure usually ends up released on the nearest retail peon. Like me.

This caller sounded nice when I first answered the phone, probably because I hadn't had a chance to tell her "no" yet. She was just a little dense in telling me what she wanted. To adequately portray one of her dense moments, let's pretend that the chain I work for is called Super Electronics.

Me: (greeting)
    Caller: Um... Hello?
    Me: Good evening. What can I help you with?
    Caller: Oh. Computers.
    Me: You have a question about something in our computer department?
    Caller: Well, I have your sale ad newspaper flier promo thing...
    Me: Yes, I have one of those here as well.
    Caller: And you have a "Super Electronics Hewlett Packard" here that I want to buy.
    Me: Is that a desktop or laptop you're looking at.
    Caller: It's a lap computer... or book.
    Me: The one for $459?
    Caller: Yes, that's it.
    Me: Well, my store is currently sold out, but let me see what other options I have for you.
    Caller: (angry yelling mode ON!) You mean to tell me I can't have one?!
    Me: If you came in right now, I wouldn't be able to sell you one because we don't have any in this store right now. I'm trying to see if I can get you one some other way.
    Caller: (no pause at all) WELL?!?
    Me: ... It appears to be sold out online, so we can't go that way. ... And our distribution center doesn't have any up for special orders. ... And-
    Caller: I just want to buy a lap computer top! Is that so hard?
    Me: I've got more coming on a shipment later, but not for about two weeks, and the sale will be over by then... Maybe a- nope. Corporate's not allowing rainchecks on this one. ... Looks like the only way to get that computer is to go to one of our other stores. The <City by the River> store has seven of them, and the <City by the Air Force Base> store has nine.
    Caller: So when can you get one for me?
    Me: I can't transfer products between stores.
    Caller: Why not?
    Me: Honestly, no one's given me a straight answer on that. I just know that every time I've asked, both our store and district managers have not been willing to do it.
    Caller: ...
    Me: ...
    Caller: ... But I'm disabled!
    Me: I'm sorry. I can't get you that computer. It's available if you or someone you know can get to those stores, but there's no way for me to get it for you.
    Caller: ...
    Me: Would you like me to find you something similar?
    Caller: I WANT you to FIND me THAT ONE! But you CAN'T! 'Cause you're an IDIOT! So... (SLAM-CLICK!)

Granted, it sucks to not be able to get the product you want, but is it really necessary to throw a tantrum like that? And I had a computer available, in stock, ready to go that night, with a gig more memory for only an extra $40. If she'd only given me a chance...
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
    Granted, it sucks to not be able to get the product you want, but is it really necessary to throw a tantrum like that? And I had a computer available, in stock, ready to go that night, with a gig more memory for only an extra $40. If she'd only given me a chance...
    Maybe she is disabled from shooting herself in the foot too many times.

Act civilised and sometimes you get even nicer stuff that what you were looking for in the first place.
    I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
    -The Amazing E
    Zonies social group now open!

Comment

And I had a computer available, in stock, ready to go that night, with a gig more memory for only an extra $40. If she'd only given me a chance...
      So....what kinda OS does that there computer have and does it have a floppy drive, hmm? *Kinda sorta look hopeful, but not really expecting anything*
      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

And I had a computer available, in stock, ready to go that night, with a gig more memory for only an extra $40. If she'd only given me a chance...
        And you know good and well if you had told her of that other computer, she would have SCREAMED an accusation of bait and switch.
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Three-year-olds, take note. This lady has you beat!
          Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
            So....what kinda OS does that there computer have and does it have a floppy drive, hmm? *Kinda sorta look hopeful, but not really expecting anything*
            Sorry, no floppy drive (though I do have some externals that work rather nicely), and it's running Vista Home Premium. I was pondering a possible purchase of that model myself (I'd prefer XP, but I can live with Vista), but I'm broke.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Sorry, no floppy drive (though I do have some externals that work rather nicely), and it's running Vista Home Premium. I was pondering a possible purchase of that model myself (I'd prefer XP, but I can live with Vista), but I'm broke.
              VISTA! AHHHH! KILL IT! KILL IT!

It needs to die a painful fiery death!

Sorry but my husband's top of the line computer seems to have nothing but problems and every single time it has been connected with Vista in some way or another.

I am not computer savvy but if such a thing causes nothing but problems I'm certainly not going to touch it with a ten foot EW SC rolled in shit and piss.
              "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

Quoth Caller
                ... But I'm disabled!
                Yes ma'am, it certainly seems that way.

Comment

Yeah but the stores around here NEVER have enough stock on hand when something like that goes "on sale". And one reason why I can't get something like that for a good value is because everyone's unemployed around here and people here waste most of their money on crap they dont need, like big-ticket items on sale, drugs, fast food and fireworks, instead of paying their bills and buying decent groceries. And of course I can't get to the good sales on time because I have to work!

Irritates the hell out of me.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
                    Yeah but the stores around here NEVER have enough stock on hand when something like that goes "on sale". And one reason why I can't get something like that for a good value is because everyone's unemployed around here and people here waste most of their money on crap they dont need, like big-ticket items on sale, drugs, fast food and fireworks, instead of paying their bills and buying decent groceries. And of course I can't get to the good sales on time because I have to work!

Irritates the hell out of me.
                    You must live in MY neighborhood?

seriously, we don't have much of a drug problem here, but DUI is pretty damned
                    rampant - seems like half the cars in my neighborhood have those ugly orange license tags. As for the rest of it, yup, my neighborhood, all right.

Comment

One of these days I'll be rich, then I'll bribe you people for phone numbers and tell these people exactly what they are worth..

As long as I'm wishing.. I want a pony..

Comment

Quoth xaenon View Post
                        You must live in MY neighborhood?

seriously, we don't have much of a drug problem here, but DUI is pretty damned
                        rampant - seems like half the cars in my neighborhood have those ugly orange license tags. As for the rest of it, yup, my neighborhood, all right.
                        Do tell, for those of us not in your neck of the woods, what the orange license tags are all about....

Comment

Quoth Pinkie View Post
                          Do tell, for those of us not in your neck of the woods, what the orange license tags are all about....
                          Orange License Tags in Ohio. (Note: Links to PDF file.)

The above site says in part:

Upon arrest for DUI, hardcore drunk drivers will have their license plates impounded. Special bright, orange-yellow license plates may be issued so that the vehicle can be operated by a family member with a valid drivers license or by offenders who have modified driving privileges during the time that the plates are impounded.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Mamadrae View Post
                            VISTA! AHHHH!
                            Not what this thread's about. Let's not start off-topic OS bashing.

Anyways, while it is annoying that you can't transfer stock between stores, it's not exactly a rare thing either, and for the SC to fly off the handle like that is really sucky.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Me: The <City by the River> store has seven of them, and the <City by the Air Force Base> store has nine.
                              snip
                              first, I think I've figured out where you work, do you happen to work in <Sweet Tasting Domicile Neighborhood>?

oh and do you still have one of those with a gig more for only $40 more in stock... I seriously might consider that depending on how hard it is to find the software I need for school in Mac version.
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X