Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 pet peeves I'd Like to share as a cashier.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooh I hate these too!
    Here are my favorite answers!

4. Do I have to put this up on the belt.

Only if you intend to purchase it!

12. Cell phone users at checkout.

I will not say a word to them. No "hello", No "Do you have your club card?" Nothing. 9 times out of 10, they will foul up payment or forget their card. Oh well, it would be rude for me to interupt.

14. Walking up to me making smart ass comments. - Comments such as... "you look lonely".

"Thanks! So do you!" With a sickenly sweet smile of course!

I hate that comment. Really, when is it EVER nice to tell someone they look lonely!?!? So I just grin and toss it back at them, see how they like it. What are they going to do? Complain I called them lonely?
    WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth walking with scissors View Post
      A lot of these do seem very annoying, but being peeved by your customers smiling, saying how are you and talking about the weather? These are just normal ways that people interact. Customers can think of hundreds of ways to abuse you, I don't consider these personally annoying and if you work in basically any customer service or office enviroment, small talk is an essential skill.
      Ditto. Many of these complaints, though I can appreciate them, seem relatively minor to me. If I'm feeling grumpy, I'm hard-pressed to respond happily, since I'm tired, hurting and just wanna go home. Nevertheless, I appeciate customers who try to make my day nicer by general chit-chat of the non-negative nature. If they aren't complaining about our store, our service, or me, I'm oh very happy. Customers who smile make my day. Just a difference in perspective, I guess.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
        Ditto. Many of these complaints, though I can appreciate them, seem relatively minor to me.
        No one's saying they're not minor, but the OP still has a right to vent without people jumping all over them. Not that you're doing that, but i've seen it happen countless times.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Ah, I apologize if it came off as attacking, that certainly wasn't my intent. I was more puzzled because some of the issues don't bother me and with other issues I was surprised at the amount of anger displayed in the post. Again, just a difference in perspective. Different people feel differently, that's all.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I understand where you're coming from. I hate some people oh so much.
            Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Comment

I think there are quite a few retail workers who need to at least try to see the customers' viewpoint a little.

Like on the "are you open" front ... I cannot count how many times I've walked up to a register, light is on, belt is moving, cashier is there, unload half of my groceries only to be told "sorry, I'm closed" ... the moronic cashiers sit there for a couple minutes watching me while I do this.

Or the smiling as we approach ... sorry, that's the OP's bad attitude. We're told that if we're grouchy, expect bad service. Now if we're friendly we're sucky? What do you want from us then? Same thing with SMALL TALK ...

On the putting items on a belt issue ... every store, and it seems like every cashier, has a DIFFERENT WAY OF DOING THIS. We're asking you the question to find out what it is you want because we are, like you, not mind readers.

Customers who ask personal questions, use cell phones, do other sucky things ... sure. I get that. I agree 100%. The time a worker gets off work isn't the business of Random Joe Public.
              Last edited by marasbaras; 09-05-2008, 05:04 AM.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

And, just so folks know ... I hate people just as much as the next guy. Probably more. However, I don't like being lumped in as "sucky" just because some cashier has a bad attitude.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

1) Number 15 is why people do the 1st one. Someone who doesn't pay attention and ends up walking over to closed registers often probably just starts asking if you're open to cover their own butts.

2) A lot of your complaints are legitimate, but the fact that you seem to get so very irritated when people are just trying to be nice (by smiling, commenting on the weather, asking how you are) makes me think that maybe you need 1 of 2 things: a new job (within the store even) for a change of pace, because you sound pretty burnt out. Or maybe some help with anger management. I don't mean to criticize, I'm actually a little concerned for you. Getting so upset over little things is usually a warning sign that you need something like a change of pace or someone to talk to.
                  I lived with a bf for a while and he hated his job, and he took that stress home with him and took it out on me, without even realizing it. I ended up dumping him because he changed SO much because of the stress. So, the point of that little ramble is, job stress does not affect just you, I'd seek some sort of help or change.
                  "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I totally agree with most of these, and I don't even work at a grocery store. I'm here to troubleshoot cable services and you're there to ring people up. Neither one of us is at work to fill up the Social bar for annoying extroverts who can't interact with another person without talking about drivel like the weather.

Comment

Quoth Stlouisx50 View Post
                      1. Are you open? I stand at the checkout lane with the light on the poll glowing. Yeah if the light is on, I am OPEN. Should I turn it off and leave the register? Typing this I think if a person is that stupid maybe I should! I don't what to have to deal with the idiot any further after such a stupid question.
                      I get this one a LOT. Well, there's nobody there, OF COURSE I'M OPEN!!!!!

4. Do I have to put this up on the belt. - Well where I work I actually got sick of lifting every 24 pack, 12 pack ect. So I made a list of the most common bar codes and put them on a list so everyone there could just scan them. This works out great. So most of the time I can tell them no you can leave the items on the bottom. But what really makes me mad is when people leave the small things, like gallons of milk, laundry soap, toilet paper, and that bag of potatoes ect. Hell even if you are going to leave it on the bottom turn it so I can get to the bar codes. I don't want to hear the "I don't want to have to pick it up again comment" Yeah I don't want to have to pick it up either, yes I get paid to check you out, but you also have to make sure all of your items get paid for. So put them on the belt unless told otherwise! The other thing while on this topic of... I can't lift it up. OH BS you lifted in the cart you can lift it out. If you can't, how the hell do you think it's going to get into your car? Last time I woke up, I didn't see that many people who could levitate things.
                      People don't even ask, they just haul it up. Now most of the staff at work will move it, but I don't. It puts strain on the customers and it puts strain on me if I move it as I do have shoulder problems. I just tell them to put it back in the trolley or leave it.

6. Did you take my $10.00 OFF? - Again tied in with above but this time when it is Coupon Thursday, people generally don't ask but some days it's 10-15 people asking if you took the automatic $10.00 off their $50.00 purchase. I'll admit sometimes I forget when I first get there, but most of the time I don't forget. Majority of the times people ask is when they go way over $50.00 and they have overspent what they wanted to spend. I tell them, "Yes I took it off, you just spent way to much, that includes the $10.00 off."
                      I get a slightly different variation on this with the 2 for $3 deals we have at work (prices vary, but that's a general one) and people ask me if the deal went through or not. Basically what it does is after I scan the second one, it'll subtract the saving that's offered. Any subsequent ones will go through as the fraction of the deal (so with the 2 for $3 deal, if customer buys 3 of said item, the all three would go through at $4.50)

7. Credit/Debit card Machine - I realize all places have different credit/debit card machines but for god sake, when the machine says "choose your selection" and it has RED, GREEN, BLUE, YELLOW big boxes with a choice of selection. You would think you a person would select it. Nope they walk up slide their card and ask did it take it. I have to explain each time. No you have to choose the type of card first, then slide the card. Now with this pet peeve, it also comes with the machine telling them when to swipe their card. Most of these idiots think once they swipe the machine takes their card. Then they ask me did it go through? or will put it away WHILE THE MACHINE STILL SAYS , PLEASE SWIPE CARD. Then they will get mad at me because the machine didn't read their card. I just work there I don't make the machines nor read your cards info.
                      My pet peeves with the machines are as follows:

1) People who do not wait for the machine to display SWIPE CARD! They constantly swipe it.
                      2) People who go "they're all different aren't they?" Well I shop at about 20 different stores, all of whom have machines that swipe one way or another. It goes one way or another. It's not that hard to figure out!

13. Smiling at me when they walk up to the check out. - I realize this is a form of greeting possibly, but I find it the total opposite. They have a full cart come to your lane and Smile like HIIIIIIII HERE I AM YOU GET TO CHECK ME OUT! WELL YAY FOR ME!
                      I have a mildly creepy customer along these lines, who greets me by name, comes ONLY to me, makes me call her by her name and then says stuff like "I'm seeking you out, I'm looking for you etc." Since then, I've refused to work on a big register around that time until she gets the message.

14. Walking up to me making smart ass comments. - Comments such as " You look bored, or I thought I'd give you something to do, or you look lonely". I have either said or thought of replying back with things like, "Well you look like an A hole" or No I'm not bored , this is not my bored look, or No I'm not lonely I have a finance at home who loves me , I am just relaxing enjoying a break. * Now if anyone on the forum has any good replies that I could use, let me know I'd love to use them.
                      as long as you don't insult the customer, if you have a great male friend who would be willing to help you out, say something like "I'm not lonely, my boyfriend's over there!" and point to him if needs be.

15. Lights off I'M closed - I hate when people walk up to my lane start putting stuff on the belt and I have to tell them, Sir/Mam I am closed and they get pissed because they didn't notice my light was off. Sorry I want to go on break, or go home just like you when you are at work. Would you want some person delaying you from leaving the top 14 idiotic things people do? Doubt it.
                      I had one idiot who left behind his shopping because I closed off. I've had a few grumblers who seem to think that being served by my colleagues equals stupidity.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I always feel really rude if I don't make small talk. It feels like I'm trying to act better than myself.
                        "Why; lowly peon! Ring my groceries but don't look me directly in the eyes!"
                        Yeah, it's a little melodramatic, but I'm easily guilted :C

I think my biggest pet peeve when ringing was "Oh, it doesn't have a tag! it must be free **hyuck, hyuck**"

Comment

In Finland, it's easy to tell whether a checkout is open or closed. If there's a cashier at the till, and there isn't a big obvious sign saying "VIEREINEN KASSA, KIITOS" on the end of the belt, it's open. Otherwise, it's closed. It's much more explicit than the light-poles used elsewhere.

Comment

Quoth Stlouisx50 View Post
                            2. The question of "how are you doing?" . I need to make a push button device that can play my mood of the day. I get asked this over and over and fing over. I used to just tell people fine. Now I tell them the truth or even tell them if I told you the truth it would get me fired. (I like catching people off guard). The people that really want to know how I am doing always talk to me more than just the opening line "How are you doing"
                            Sounds like you need one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7c54/

Comment

8. Customers asking what time I get off. - I have yet to know why besides pity bs small talk they ask this question. I am still waiting for my surprise party when I walk out the door.
                              I've never asked this of cashiers I don't know, but will ask it of random co-workers that I find myself stuck small-talking with. I don't really care what time they get off, I'm not going to wait outside the door and follow them to their car or invite myself over, but it's an attempt to add some cheer - "So, what time do you get off today? 3:00? Oh, that's nice, you only have two more hours left to go! Bet you're excited!" Going for a little positive thinking.

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
                                Sounds like you need one of these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7c54/
                                Oh my DOG! I have to get one of those for work!

Ya know, come to think of it, I've had customers ask me when I get off, as well. Since I'm always closing up the shop, I tend to tell them that. One customer bought me a candy bar because I would be working through the "normal" dinner hour and she thought I'd be hungry. It was dreadfully nice of her.
                                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                                X