Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 pet peeves I'd Like to share as a cashier.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my pet peeves (as a cashier at a smallish grocery store) is when people: A) Ask me if I'm open when I'm standing there, at attention, waiting to take the next customer; and B) Ask the folks who occasionally are behind the counter but closed (such as the baggers who clean the checkstands towards the end of the night -- or even the odd computer technician dressed completely differently from the rest of us and fiddling with the machine behind a "THIS REGISTER IS CLOSED" sign) if they're open.

Comment

Quoth Stlouisx50 View Post
      14. Walking up to me making smart ass comments. - Comments such as " You look bored, or I thought I'd give you something to do, or you look lonely". I have either said or thought of replying back with things like, "Well you look like an A hole" or No I'm not bored , this is not my bored look, or No I'm not lonely I have a finance at home who loves me , I am just relaxing enjoying a break. * Now if anyone on the forum has any good replies that I could use, let me know I'd love to use them.
      Best thing I can think of is this (best used to the "I thought I'd give you something to do" line):

"This is my 'Oh Thank You Ever So Much' face."

From there, just imagine the words "And now, the next president of the United States, Dick Cheney (Dan Quayle works too)", and put on your best zombie expression with your mouth hanging open. The words should distort your face into something unimaginable, which should more or less get the message across.
      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
      "What IS fun to fight through?"
      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Gilgamesh View Post
        I've noticed that smiling (and greeting them) to the cashier actually means I get better service. Might be the difference between this and this ...
        I give this smile because if I smile like this, I end up looking like this
        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Gilgamesh View Post
          I've noticed that smiling (and greeting them) to the cashier actually means I get better service. Might be the difference between this and this ...

that won't work for me because I know it's a fake smile.

Quoth d962831 View Post
          O_O...holy crap, it sounds like you work in a place just like I used to! Is it a grocery store? Is there a "-" in the middle of the name? Is their slogan something to do with smiles in aisles (even though it's a flat out lie)?
          no, it's not the one with the - in it. But you're exactly right that's what I'm talking about where they won't walk 20 feet down to the lanes are open because the other checkers are talking or way from the registers.

Quoth batmoody View Post
          Oooh I hate these too!
          Here are my favorite answers!

4. Do I have to put this up on the belt.

Only if you intend to purchase it!

12. Cell phone users at checkout.

I will not say a word to them. No "hello", No "Do you have your club card?" Nothing. 9 times out of 10, they will foul up payment or forget their card. Oh well, it would be rude for me to interupt.

14. Walking up to me making smart ass comments. - Comments such as... "you look lonely".

"Thanks! So do you!" With a sickenly sweet smile of course!

I hate that comment. Really, when is it EVER nice to tell someone they look lonely!?!? So I just grin and toss it back at them, see how they like it. What are they going to do? Complain I called them lonely?
          OMG I so wish I worked with you. You are smart with your comebacks and absolutely hilarious.
          Last edited by Ree; 09-08-2008, 04:50 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts

Comment

Umm, no, it's not. On a normal day I smile automatically, and usually even if I feel a bit down. Then there are days when I just go through and make minimal effort (hi, *blank look*, thanks, *pack*). There is a difference.

Can't say anything on behalf of your customers, though. Perhaps all of them really are faking.

Comment

At the library's Circulation desk, we have two PCs. The right one is usually for checking out books and the left one is usually for checking in books that are returned while manning the Circ desk. When there's a line of people to check out, we ding for back up and the check in PC is used for check out. The only thing between them is the cash register, so the PCs are fairly close together.

So, the check in PC has a HUGE sign that I made that takes up the entire counter space -- THIS STATION IS CLOSED -- and it's pretty tall, but you can still see when there's someone working behind it.

When there's no one to check out, and items to check in, well, yeah, we're behind the sign checking in books, and the check out PC is wide open, but no one's sitting there. Yep, that's where they go ... right in front of the huge sign that says the station is closed because I'm behind it checking in returned books, DVDs, CDs, etc.

I'm glad I can be snarky at work, cause I don't see how any patron in a library -- you know, the place people go to get things to READ -- can miss a sign printed in 500 pt. Impact.

Me: Uh ... do you need help with something?
              SC: I'd like to borrow these books.
              Me: Yeah ... uh ... I'll help you over there (pointing), you know, at the OPEN station.
              SC: ... Oh ... ok.

I'm still waiting for someone to ask to speak to the supervisor, so I can say, "you already are ... how can I help you?"

Then we get the patrons who rent a DVD for a dollar and try to pay with a $100 bill. Seriously. How much spare change do they think a library has, especially at 9am?

Then there's the ones with kids who just can't leave the laser scanner alone, while I'm trying to scan the barcodes of 40 children's books. The few times I got really pissed, I've actually asked parents if their kids do that at the grocery store, too.

Let's see, we also have some control freaks who feel they have to open each and every book and personally hand it to me to scan. Grrrrr! They think they're helping, but what they're really doing is slowing me down. I've had to learn to quickly slide the entire stack to my side of the desk so I can do it at my pace and not have to call for back up.

There's the ones who come in with their own canvas bags, which they fill to bursting with as much as they can carry and then just dump the bags on the desk and hand me their library card. I scan the card and ask them how I can help them, cause there's no way I'm unpacking their bags for them, unless they're elderly or disabled. The entire Circ staff has repetitive stress injuries from the work we do every day, and I'm not adding to it because someone is on vacation or something and needs to borrow a library of books. "Would you please remove the items you wish to check out from your bag ... thank you!" And the ones that just turn the bag/s over and dump it all out ... yeah, they end up waiting until I sort the books and face them the right way for scanning/stamping.

Would you believe that we have a couple of patrons that come to the library with their childrens' wagons? They actually check out enough books to fill a Lil Tikes wagon! Oh well, at least their children are reading or being read to, which is what really matters.

We also have a few patrons who have their library card, their spouses card, and their 2 or 3 children's cards, all of which have had 30 requests placed on them, and by the time they come to pick everything up with all 4 cards ... just OMG!

Well, I feel better ... though I'm sure the bitterness will be back by Thursday or Friday. Wheeeeee!
              I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

Thats rediclious to get that many books like you said. Also I think people use the I didn't see the sign as an excuse because they are too lazy. Plain and simple , like I said if you can't see I am open or closed I don't want to serve you, because it can only get worse from that point on!

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                  Maybe some of us are just getting irritated at having to justify why every little thing that bothers us, bothers us. It's almost getting to the point where it's not even worth venting on here anymore.

Jeeze, I agree and I just started. Some of you are funny as hell. I really enjoy the site however. I will keep reading for awhile before I give up.

As far as having a bad attitude and not being a nice person I am. I have also been told I am by some customers. I do get compliments often.

All of my pet peeves are pretty simple, I hate fake people, I don't like to lie to people, I don't like to be lied to. So the fake smiles, which I can tell if they are fake or not, the fake I care how your doing attitudes has nothing to do with if my job is for me.

I never signed up to be a shrink, nor did the customer.

Yes I have told people how I am doing. Some care some don't. If I am having a bad day I even tell people, "If I told you I would get fired". Some laugh and smile and some give a dirty look.

As far as customers putting stuff up on the belt, I don't complain if they do, I just complain when they leave small items underneath and expect me to pull everything out and scan it.

Another thing I hate is coupons them-self. Coupons need larger print, not that it would help but some that say Save $.50 off 2 packs and the person goes to use it on 1 pack, well I think did this person read or just not see it, however in this situation I am nice and kindly explain the coupon.

Comment

another one

why do they feel the need to justify every item they buy? I don't care why you need what you need, just let me scan it and give me your money

Comment

#3. learned this from one of my teachers. whatever the weather is, we should be greatful we have sun/rain/cloudy whatever today as well its been a dry season, hot season or whatever reason. If we had no rain well I can only assume the grass to feed the cows for that meat or dairy would starve. Or some kind of reason to be greatful. But only if that person is complaining. On rain...oh but I like the rain! Especially when its thunderstorm, it tends to scare people away. said with a rueful smile.

Comment

Quoth LexiaFira View Post
                        #3. learned this from one of my teachers. whatever the weather is, we should be greatful we have sun/rain/cloudy whatever today as well its been a dry season, hot season or whatever reason. If we had no rain well I can only assume the grass to feed the cows for that meat or dairy would starve. Or some kind of reason to be greatful. But only if that person is complaining. On rain...oh but I like the rain! Especially when its thunderstorm, it tends to scare people away. said with a rueful smile.
                        True but when its nice out , and you can't be outside when others are, I don't care to hear about it! Anyway why the hell do people want to get out and shop when it's a nice day? Whats wrong with people?

Comment

Anyway why the hell do people want to get out and shop when it's a nice day? Whats wrong with people?
                          I'd rather shop when it's nice out than when it's any combination of cold/windy/snowy/rainy.

Just makes it a better experience.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            I'd rather shop when it's nice out than when it's any combination of cold/windy/snowy/rainy.

Just makes it a better experience.
                            Really? So you would rather spend time indoors and waste the nice time shopping? WOW. Well there are many more customers that like to do it as well.... I still wont understand why. If its a few items I can understand but a full load ????

Comment

2. The question of "how are you doing?" . I need to make a push button device that can play my mood of the day. I get asked this over and over and fing over. I used to just tell people fine. Now I tell them the truth or even tell them if I told you the truth it would get me fired. (I like catching people off guard). The people that really want to know how I am doing always talk to me more than just the opening line "How are you doing".
                              Every once in a while when I get this, I can't help myself:

Cust: How are you today?
                              Me: Homicidal <insert evil grin>
                              Cust:

What can I say? I love messing with people's minds.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I don't understand the whole "talking about the weather" deal, but I'm bad at small talk anyway.

However, I prefer shopping when it's not snowing/raining/sleeting, simply because I don't have a car, so it's "nice" to drag those bags home in bad weather. It might deter some drivers, too (hopefully the bad ones).

Comment

Working...
                                X