This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    You know, I've always thought that working on a cruise ship would be something fun to do just once in my life... but then I decided that spending months on end onboard a ship would drive me mad...

It is an awesome experience. I would not have traded the last 2 years in for anything. Seriously. Not everyone can handle the extended time on the ship. I did 9 months once...because I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye to my friends, and then cool new people signed on, so I stayed longer to be with them. I miss my friends now. I haven't even been gone a month yet.
    My 10 year hs reunion is coming up, and I've known some of these people since we were in diapers, and yet, I don't care to see them...just as long as they are healthy. But shipmates are for life!

And yes, you can go mad, but in the end, thats usually because of the management not standing behind you 100%. Ok, enough of my yapping.
    Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post
      This particular SC sticks out because of his anti-American behavior, yet, he is an American!
      Never understood those types, for any country really, If it's at all possible for you to leave somewhere you don't like then why stick around and b*#@h?

I would have kicked him out...in the middle of the sea. Hey sharks gotta eat too.
      wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
      ----
      Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

I simply can't believe the behavior of those people. I'd lose my mind in a day. You must be tough. That is all
        "Let our mercy as deep as the Feitas and our authority as powerful as the Sun be revealed to the entire world."

Comment

I hope he's not Canadian. Cause if he was he'd be giving us a bad name and we don't put up with that crap, we take care of it.

Comment

Quoth Nyx View Post
            Hey sharks gotta eat too.
            What is it with everyone wanting to make the poor sharks sick?
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Wow... hopefully not all cruise ships have problems like that asshat. I'm going to get tired defending people when I go on vacation.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

gosh.
                I love being on a cruise! I was on one a few years ago, and it was the best vacation ever! Everyone was so nice to me, and so much fun!
                I'm going on another cruise with all of my buddies in November, and we are expecting it to be another fun time....
                I can't even imagine treating another human being the way that 'guest' treated you. Security should have been called as soon as that worthless SOB deliberatly dropped that tray. There is not any reason that a 'guest' can get away with vandalism of that nature. I don't care HOW much he spends on his trip.
                Grrrrrr.
                I no longer fear HELL.
                I work in RETAIL.

Comment

It is an awesome experience. I would not have traded the last 2 years in for anything. Seriously.
                  So if you enjoyed it that much, why not go with another cruise line? I've heard that Royal Caribbean is an excellent employer in that regard.

Comment

Quoth BlackIronCrown View Post
                    So if you enjoyed it that much, why not go with another cruise line? I've heard that Royal Caribbean is an excellent employer in that regard.

I've already appplied with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, and Disney

Now it's a matter of getting the job. But honestly, anyone that's worked both the American Fleet, and the International fleet will tell you it's a slightly different experience. But, I'd go the second I got the offer.

Comment

I had to wonder if there was even anything around to clean it up with, without calling housekeeping. They are the ones who tend to have the mops and brooms and whatnot.

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
                      I've cruised over 30 times and, while most people bend over backward to be polite to other passengers and staff there are some who undergo a strange sea-change. Possibly because passengers are taken care of so well, some revert to childhood.
                      I never acted like that even as a child. Well, not in public, anyway...
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        I had to wonder if there was even anything around to clean it up with, without calling housekeeping. They are the ones who tend to have the mops and brooms and whatnot.
                        We actually had a cleaning locker around the corner from our desk...but I didn't want to leave him in my area unattended. I was very protective of my reception area...Mine!!! That and we had surveillance cameras above, so I wanted to make sure I was always on camera with this guy while he was being a jerk.

Comment

SC: " don't be condescending with me. get off your lazy, worthless American ass, and do something.!"
                          IMO, the proper response to this guy would have been "Why don't you get down there and suck it up yourself? A person with your looks and manners ought to be accustomed to swilling like a pig."

Why yes, I have lost jobs very suddenly after dealing with SCs in the past...how did you know?

(this is why my current boss really does not like to see me anywhere near a customer...with the polite and friendly I'm polite and friendly...but with the SCs, I tend to outdo them on suck; I value reciprocal respect higher than employment).
                          Last edited by Difdi; 09-22-2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Orcprincess, may I say this in defense of Norwegian Cruise Line.

We have sailed several times on the old Norway, most notably we were on the Norway between St. Johns, Newfoundland and Glasgow, Scotland on 9/11/01.

We have sailed several times on the Dawn. We're used to Holland-America, Princess and Celebrity. We didn't expect much from the Dawn but it was a cheap, convenient get away. We were very happily surprised. The food, the service and the entertainment on the Dawn were well beyond our expectations. Our times on the Dawn have been some of the most relaxing and interesting cruises we've experienced.

In October we'll be doing back-to-back sailings on the QM2 and the QE2. On the weekend after we return, we'll be enjoying a lunch and tour on the Norwegian Jewel. My Husband and I look forward to that little outing. If our experience of Norwegian is anything to go by, we will enjoy it greatly.
                            Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

I'd like to take the time to let you know that us Minnesotans are not all like that. Ok, so the "Minnesota-Nice" thing has kind of gone by the wayside, but most of us are pretty friendly and understanding.

I also know what it feels like to be in the service industry and so with that, I make sure I am not a huge burden on those that are there to serve me and I try to make sure I show my appreciation. Hell, if I dropped the plate, I definitely would have at least helped get most of it up off the floor until the cleaning person got there.

I was on a cruise in March, and all the staff were nothing but gracious. I enjoyed some lengthy conversations with a couple of guys on the staff from Serbia during their lunch breaks and days off. We still email each other periodically.
                              "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X