This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just the ticket

A few months ago, the cinema had a refit and a software upgrade. It is now possible to sell movie tickets at the retail tills. The intention was to use the retail area for box office queue busting and allowing the box office to be shut down at quiet times.

Two nights this week we had the trial runs with the box office shut down. In front of the box office we two large banners, about 6feet tall, that said, "The box office is closed. Please purchase your tickets at the retail counter." In front of the retail area, there were two equally large banners that said, "Purchase your tickets here."

What did 8 out of 10 customers ask when they approached the counter? "Is this where I buy my ticket?"

Now of the retail tills, only 4 out of 5 could actually be used to purchase tickets. So H, who was manning the one till that couldn't was getting very frustrated by the customers who approached her for tickets. I handed her a pair of scissors and suggested that she leap of the counter and repeatedly stab the next customer who asked for tickets, shouting, "Not at this till!" J, the manager, said, "I would suggest a different course of action..." Spoilsport.

In order to alleviate H's problem, we stuck signs on the four tills, declaring "I sell tickets here." J was of the opinion that the absence of a sign on H's till would be sufficient to alert the customers that they could not buy tickets there. So the first customer walks up after we've put up the signs, (and you've guessed it!) approaches H's till and says "Do I get my tickets here?"
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Extra bonus points if they were buying tickets for a subtitled film.

Comment

Well, it continued tonight.

Customers would come in and stare vacantly at the closed box office. In fact several groups of customers game in one after the other and formed a queue, gazing at the closed box office.

Several people bypassed the ticket machines, the retail counter and came straight up to the ticket point asking where they could buy tickets.

One group of guys was overhead saying, "Oh, its closed, lets go to KFC instead."

One member of staff has decided that customers must be sprayed with 'stupid gas' as they walk through the doors.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
        One group of guys was overhead saying, "Oh, its closed, lets go to KFC instead."
        Because fried chicken is the perfect entertainment substitute for a movie. I've lost track of how many times I've been watching a movie and thought, "Y'know, this movie is boring. Now a chicken dinner, that's entertainment!"

I know people don't read signs. I've known that since I started working retail. But it still catches me off-guard to see such blatant obliviousness in people. When I go out someplace I don't go regularly, I've developed a habit of pausing to look around for and read signs, whether they're relevant to me or not, just so I don't make myself look stupid.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
          Because fried chicken is the perfect entertainment substitute for a movie. I've lost track of how many times I've been watching a movie and thought, "Y'know, this movie is boring. Now a chicken dinner, that's entertainment!"
          well, depending on the KFC there might be a LOT of entertainment watching the people there
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Speaking of KFC, does anyone else think that "all your favourite sides in one bowl" thing looks like a bowl of vomit?

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
              looks like a bowl of vomit?
              No, but that mental image should put me off buying it any longer.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

greatness: when a customer does read the sign, they don't believe it anyways, and still.. stand there, go there, ask for item, ______________, and last fav: ask if the sign is 'real'
                Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

One member of staff has decided that customers must be sprayed with 'stupid gas' as they walk through the doors.
                  Back when I worked at <The Chemists> I always proclaimed there was a lobotomy ray...

Looks like nothings changed!
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                      Extra bonus points if they were buying tickets for a subtitled film.

I've lost track of how many times I've been watching a movie and thought, "Y'know, this movie is boring. Now a chicken dinner, that's entertainment!"
                      wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                      ----
                      Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

A few months ago, the cinema had a refit and a software upgrade. It is now possible to sell movie tickets at the retail tills. The intention was to use the retail area for box office queue busting and allowing the box office to be shut down at quiet times.
                        That's great because when I was at box office I had nothing to do so to see how people can work for their pay this keeps them less bored and more worth their time!
                        Providing Excellent customer service and Filtering out nonsense people.

Comment

I think when people walk into a place of buisness part of their brain shuts off

the odeon in BC were K and I lived allows you to buy tickets at the food counter, and yet every single time we go to a movie with his friends they insist they HAVE to line up twice... once at the box office, once at the consession stand

this is dispite the fact that every single time, they are all wow how did you get your tickets so fast conversation we explain... and the next time we arrive they are once again at the box office.... idiots!
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Working...
                          X