Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've ruined Christmas many times, all of which were because I had the nerve to close my store at the appointed hour, and the last minute shoppers who tried to duck under the gate, bang the door open, or yell at me and my coworkers through the glass couldn't get their extremely last minute purchases, or more recently at the spa, men can't buy their gift certificates at 1:00pm on Christmas Eve day when we close at noon. It's posted that we close at noon, and we've been open every single day in December (and the rest of the year) when they could have very easily made their purchase. We've been told we've ruined customers' wives Christmases so many times, it's lost all meaning. My coworker snapped last year (almost a full hour after close, we were cleaning up and letting employees out when a man tried to push his way in after being told repeatedly that we were closed, our registers were shut down, we had no way of processing the gift card sale, etc) and told the guy that we didn't ruin his wife's Christmas, having a husband who can't remember which day Christmas is each year and shop more than twelve hours in advance did.

Comment

Quoth persephone View Post
      SW: BUT I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED THEM! YOU'VE RUINED MY CHRISTMAS!!

And then she runs out of the store and leaves us all a little confused.

Seriously, you would have thought it was life or death medicine! I mean, they're $5 teddy bears from a gas station. Do you really need them that badly?

So yeah. I got to ruin Christmas!
      You should of offered to sell them to her for 100 dollars each.

And Merry Christmas to everyone in this thread by the way, and Lace, nice job on the blinky! Well done!
      For civilized discussion about broadcasting, media and sports along with fun games to play, visit:
      http://atriumforum.com/
      Emphasis on Michigan area broadcasting, but ANYONE is welcome!

Comment

Quoth Fungus View Post
        You should of offered to sell them to her for 100 dollars each.
        Honestly, if she hadn't been so rude about it, I probably would have just given them to her. But she was such an EW, I just couldn't help but keep them!
        I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

While I never had the honor of f-ing up anyones holiday, I did manage to ruin some guys birthday. His wife came in to buy a challah loaf, and was told that we had sold out (I think it was during the holiday season, when challah would sell out early afternoon sometimes) She told that he ALWAYS had challah on his birthday, and couldn't we just make more? Oh, sure, that'll just be about 4 hours, and by the way, will you be paying my overtime? The awesome thing was that we had an incredably easy way to order bread ahead of time, so that we could make more and set it aside. I kind of want to go back in time and tell her that SHE ruined his birthday, not us. Let that sink in a bit, lady.

Comment

Ohh ohh! I got to ruin several Christmases while working tech support, I also saved a few.
            You wouldn't believe the people who told me I ruined Christmas when the brand new computer they bought didn't magically take itself out of the box and set itself up. "What do you mean *I* have to set it up? It should have done that itself after we went to bed!" (I'm not kidding, I was told that!)

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
              But no, we wouldn't let him in due to the fact that we wanted to go home and it was Christmas Eve, dammit. Eventually he walked off in a temper after shouting, "I hope you're happy; you RUINED MY CHRISTMAS!!"
              And yet it's perfectly acceptable for SC's to ruin yours by making you stay way past closing.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Well, I cannot say I actually did it, but I did play a part in “ruining” Christmas for a bunch of people a few years ago.

I was the lay leader at our Christmas Eve service. Our church is over 100 years old and for the past several generations, the Christmas Eve service has ended with all the worshipers filing out of the darkened sanctuary carrying lit candles and singing Silent Night to stand on the church’s front porch and lawn and shout “Merry Christmas” at exactly midnight. (The service actually is carefully timed to end just at that time.)

One year, our city was hit with an incredible freeze that plunged the usually 40ish degree temperature down to below 10 degrees. The minister leaned over to me as the choir was singing its last anthem and asked whether I thought it was foolish to go outside that evening. I told him not only was the temperature too low, the front porch and steps of the church had iced over and would be a major hazard to walk on even if no one was holding a lit candle. He announced before the closing hymn that we would not be following tradition that evening and would stay in our pews with our lit candles. The candle light was beautiful in the sanctuary for anyone who thought to notice it.

Many congregants who had been putting on their heavy coats during the anthem, however, were openly distraught at this. Several people came up and voiced their anger after the service stating that their Christmas had been ruined due to their not being on the front porch. I just told them to grow up and have a merry Christmas anyway.
                Last edited by South Texan; 11-30-2008, 01:29 AM.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

I'm pretty darn sure I've done something to someone to "ruin" Christmas. Sadly there won't be pressies for people this year from me.....sort of lacking in funds...or at least WILL be soon
                  I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

I haven't been told that I've ruined Christmas yet, but I have been told quite a few times that I've ruined someone's life while booting them from the hotel. That counts, right?
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                      I have been told quite a few times that I've ruined someone's life while booting them from the hotel. That counts, right?
                      Well... if something like conception was about to take place when you did your booting, then I guess you might at least have prevented someone's life.
                      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Apparently I must be a huge bitch, b/c I've been ruining people's holidays for years and feel no remorse

Ruinied Thanksgiving for not being able to pull a 27 lb. turkey out of my ass.

Destroyed countless Christmases due to shoppers waiting until the last minute, and actually had one biatch get ticked and threaten me b/c she was too late for the lower price, and she wanted to use my employee discount.

Ruined vacations due to people not making sure they really had full coverage insurance before trying to rent a custom van.

**Almost forgot!! I ruined Mother's Day when I worked at an assisted living place. This drunk idiot showed up at 2am- technically the day after Mother's Day- and when I wouldn't let him in he started ranting about how I had ruined his chance to wish his mother a happy day....I called the cops, he was arrested for drunk and disorderly
                        Last edited by Mighty Girl; 11-30-2008, 02:17 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

OOh! I've definitely ruined a few christmases in my years of retail. The one that stands out most to me is one year when I was working for Blockbuster Video. I don't know if it's the same these days but when I was there, there wasn't a day of the year that the store completely closed. We had a few holidays where we would close either early or late. On Christmas Day we opened at noon instead of our usual 10am but we had to be there at 11am to check in movies and get the store ready. So one year on Christmas Day I was opening with my manager and this lady walks up at about 11:30am and tries to come in. She pounds on the door demanding that one of us come open it for her. I tell her that we are not open until noon. She screams and cusses and actually makes a mess on our glass doors with her (nasty!) rant and says that she has to have gift cards so "santa" can bring them to her children and grandchildren! Remember....this is at about 11:45 on christmas morning...santa's probably sipping a margarita on some beach by now! I tell her sorry there's nothing that we can do, she can come back in a little bit when we open, blah blah blah. She explodes and goes off how we ruined Christmas for her and her family and all the children are going to lose their beliefs in Santa since he couldn't bring them gift cards to their "favorite store" and that she hopes we're happy! My manager who has just been watching the whole thing comes to the door and goes off on the lady telling her how awful she is and how she should have been in yesterday. Just basically tearing the lady a new one while I sat back and laughed. The lady finally gave up and started to walk away then turns around and shouts "I hope you burn in hell!" and drives off. The best part is that the moment her car pulled out of the lot it was noon and my manager unlocked the door.

sorry...i know it was long! It's been a long day!
                          Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

I don't think I actually ruined anyone's Christmas but have come close to it just because the store wouldn't stay open after closing. Quite honestly why would people be shopping in a craft store Christmas Eve? Much, if not all, of the stuff in the store people have to put together anyways so wouldn't it be much simpler to get stuff at least two weeks in advance?
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

persephone, You not only had the privelege of ruining that woman's Christmas, you were also in the very enviable postition that a store employee would not have been in. Having the option to tell her to "go to hell"!

Mike
                              Meow.........

Comment

I ruined christmas due to shortage of Wiis last year. I got alot of "what am I supposed to do now? wah wah wah!" or what do I get my kids now!" like I was supposed to cry and be sympathetic. I didn't care. My kids already had their Wii I bought in June and another my ex bought them in July. I swore that this year if I heard any whining over the Wiis I was going to throw an XBox 360 at them!
                                "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Working...
                                X