X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Just Threatened To Deport Me

This is new.

For those of you who don't know, I am a Canadian immigrant to the US waiting on her Greencard. All the paperwork is filed -- they just have to approve it.

Just got a call from the 'Hubs at work. He had a customer come in that I am sort of familiar with, since I have hung out there from time to time. Sort of an older guy, friendly enough. Fella comes in today with a very expensive lighting rig that has mysteriously stopped working. After some examination, 'Hubs finally gets the guy to admit he did something that borked it. He was trying to modify it to do something it wasn't intended to, and it broke. This voids the warranty.

This means he cannot get a refund.

This does not go over well.

First he tries the Buddy route. "Come on, buddy, hey buddy, don't be like that buddy, I come in here all the time, cut me a break."

Then he tries the Threat route. "Come on, man, seriously, I could go to any other store with my business but I come here, you don't want your company to find out you lost a customer, you know."

The 'Hubs is unmoved. He is not going to take the cut in his bonus, which depends on store sales and profits, because this guy broke his new toy. He is also pretty alpha male when it comes to threats, which never go over well.

So then the guy leans in close, and whispers, "Give me the refund or I'll call immigration and tell them your wife needs to be deported."

This is, of course, an empty threat. My paperwork and my marriage is watertight. It's just the fact that he thinks this is going to get him what he wants that mystifies. When he sees how angry the 'Hubs is, he starts trying to backpedal, saying he's "just kidding, buddy, come on".

He is now banned from the store. He was apparently threatening that he was going to tell "all his friends" not to shop there because "you're all fucking assholes who won't give a guy a break".

Well, if they were disinclined to help you BEFORE . . .

I really am stunned on this one. Not my customer, but easily one of the crappiest things I've ever heard of one doing. And over five hundred bucks. Needless to say, the 'Hubs is not in a very good mood right now. Just wanted to share.
    Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

That is really horrible. I'm sorry that you and your husband went through that.

Comment

That's low. A store banning is the very least he deserved.
      "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Not surprising though.

I live with a Canadian and get this kind of crap all the time.

Comment

How do people even know youre canadian? Im sure you dont go traipsing around in a red maple leaf shirt? LOL (kidding....plz dont be offended )

Comment

I'd have told him that I'd have deported his head from his neck, if I were the Hubs xD
            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

How very Ugly American of him! Sorry you're going through this.
              "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

After going through the crap you had to go through to get that card! I don't think that most Americans know what it all entails to get all that paperwork together, and interview with--not INS anymore, no--the Department of Homeland Security.

Did the judge question our marriage? You'd better believe it. I got married in Canada at 37. So, someone tell me what good it would be to take his name? I've worked since I was a kid, I've performed and written and recorded all sorts of work under MY NAME. So I'm supposed to change it? At age 37. Besides, I knew I would do it if it meant losing him for awhile, but he would have none of it. We both know it's just nonsense anyway.

Does no one think it a bit absurd to be a "maiden" at age 37, and suddenly drop it and become Mrs. His First Name/His Last Name? Well, it is to me. At 20, 25? Maybe. Besides--in Quebec, they don't just do that for you. You have to fill out a whole seperate bunch of paperwork and have your name legally changed.

All in all I think the process cost us like 5000 dollars.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                  How do people even know youre canadian?
                  That's what I wondered.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Do you say "aboot"???

Anyway, when I work in the schools here in the south some kids tell me I sound like I'm from Canada. I'm really from Northern Ohio but I lived only 45 minutes from it.

Comment

Accent? That's my guess, anyway.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I don't know about accent, although I do get teased, but as I said, this was someone I was mildly friendly with, having met him before. The 'Hubs seemed to like him, and the first time I met him he said something like "So YOU'RE the one ___ has been working so hard to get here!" And then he asked deliberately stupid questions about Canada. Seemed nice enough, but I guess what do I know?
                        Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

Comment

So, did you like, live in an igloo up there?

Seriously, someone asked my junior-year college roommate a similar question...and she's from Connecticut.

I don't have a problem with changing the last name (though I guess the older you are/more professional identity you've established it does make more sense to keep your name) but I'll be damned if I'll be Mrs. His First Name Last Name.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                            How do people even know youre canadian? Im sure you dont go traipsing around in a red maple leaf shirt? LOL (kidding....plz dont be offended )
                            A Maple Leafs HOCKEY jersey maybe!

As someone who, like OP, is a Canadian transfer to the U.S. I can say that what usually gets me marked as a Canadian is either the way I pronounce certain words or my lack of a local accent (I live in a southern state).

In Canada we use long As, so instead of Paw-sta we say Pass-ta, instead of Mare-e-O (as in the Nintendo mascot), it's Mar-E-O.

Now I have made an effort to adopt more american pronunciations since this is my new home, but every now and then the Canadian in me slips out.

Some people do give me a bit of grief, but screw them, I'm proud of who I am and where I come from and if they don't like it they can pound sand.
                            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              but every now and then the Canadian in me slips out.
                              Get a pair of pants with a reliable zip then
                              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Working...
                              X