This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Hicksey View Post
    I have been a party to price-switching in my time too. Me and my boss went in and he bought a cheap carpet from the clearance pile outside. They offered to help us put it in our van but we declined the offer. When we got back out to the car we put the most expensive carpet in there and drove off. My boss saved about $200 on that carpet that day..
    Correct me if I am wrong - but to me, that's not "price-switching" that's just stealing. Price-switching to me is taking tags off one item and placing them on another. Well, maybe this is a form of price-switching...sorry, thinking out loud here.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Hmmm...

Way back, when I was much younger, I tried to sell a movie store the video games I didn't want any longer. (More interestingly, I eventually came to work at that exact store) I asked first, though, if they bought or sold video games, and, after getting a resounding 'No!', tried a round of 'Are you sure?' before giving up.

Again, when I was much much younger, I stole a packet of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trading cards. Had wandered out of the Schnucks movie store to use the bathroom (We had just come from the pool) saw a lone package of trading cards as I passed by, and grabbed them, slipping them into my back pocket. Forgot about them until I got home, and was changing out of my suit (In front of mom (I tell you, I was young then!) ) and pulled the packet out of my pocket. Dawning light of realization.
      Mom inquired about them, I made up some story about having found them in the movies, and the guy at the counter telling me I could keep them. Mom took me back to the store, and made me apologize for stealing.

Speaking of the Schnuck's movie store, there was a metal bar that ran between the entrance door and the exit door when you were coming in from the grocery store part of that Schnuck's. The metal bar ran right between the two sensor stands. My brother and I together realized that you could rub a movie against the bar and set off the sensors. So, we would stand at the end, in the store, rubbing movies against the divider bar, and grin as the sensor alarm went off.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
        The telemarketer calling for the 5th time that day wanting me to buy a cemetary plot (when I'm 19) I've blew into the phone with a Bosun's Whistle (the really REALLY piercing whistle they pipe people on board ships with)
        My grandfather had one of those...

My grandmother will blow a very loud whistle into the phone if nobody answers her right away or she doesn't know the person. I've actually been on the receiving end of that--OUCH.

When I was dealing with a certain unnamed bank, I got quite pissy (justifiably; they believed that I was defrauding them even after faxing them a police report and proof I could not have made the purchases in question...one would think the police report and affadavit would be enough).

I'm also guilty of going off on tech support twice when I was younger, but that was usually the result of being walked through an entire process in baby steps when I had already fixed the problem and wanted to know what could have caused it in the first place/steps to take to prevent it from happening again.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          Teeny?
          I'll go with teeny.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

The foul temper that makes me an SC.com darling does have it's drawbacks. Usually in the form of some innocent clerk paying me an innocent compliment and me snapping on him/her for an extended period of time. Something like

Clerk: "Ohhh, I LOVE your hair color!"
            Me: *pissed* "What the fuck does that mean?"

My hair color came out of a bottle and it's BRIGHT red, so it's not like I think it looks real or anything. Just sometimes I get rubbed wrong.

I'm also bad about putting things back in the wrong spots. But when it's a busy store and I'm stressed out because of all the stink-beast customers around me, usually all I want to do is get rid of what I don't want and get out. I DON'T put cold things back on a random shelf, I do find a cooler to put those in, but anything else, I'll dump it in the general vicinity of where I found it and bolt.

I'm sure I've creeped out my share of clerks by rocking myself and pulling on my hair when I'm standing in line, too. I can't really help it, and it makes me feel better anyway.
            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Well I've heard and read stories about people that have - and rightfully so - got charged and reported for blowing a whistle into a telemarketers ear. If the telemarketer is being polite and just doing their job, it's just as easy to hang up on 'em IMO.

Kibbles

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                My hair color came out of a bottle and it's BRIGHT red, so it's not like I think it looks real or anything. Just sometimes I get rubbed wrong.
                Heheheh…I can’t help but laugh. Not at you, or even at your hair color, but just because last year I actually dated a girl who also had ridiculously and unnaturally bright red hair at the time.

Nothing to do with you or your hair, but since that time, my friends and I have renamed the shot “Red Headed Slut” by referring to that shot using her first name.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                  Correct me if I am wrong - but to me, that's not "price-switching" that's just stealing. Price-switching to me is taking tags off one item and placing them on another. Well, maybe this is a form of price-switching...sorry, thinking out loud here.
                  I was just the muscle. I guess you were supposed to take the tag off the one you want to buy and take it inside and pay for it before you take it. Well, he took the price off one of the cheapest ones there and paid for it, took the expensive price tag and put it on the cheap one and we took the expensive one.

Ethically questionable though, I agree. His explanation was that as long as you pay something for it, its price switching and not stealing.

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                    FYI, but all telemarketers are not scam artists and not all telemarketers are rude just because they are doing their job. A great majority are honest and just trying to work like everyone else IMO. It's all in how the telemarketer performs their duties and if they dispo their calls correctly.

Kibbles
                    As long as they don't call between 4pm and 6pm I agree with you. Ones that call at dinner knowingly are just inconsiderate.

Comment

Quoth Hicksey View Post
                      Ethically questionable though, I agree. His explanation was that as long as you pay something for it, its price switching and not stealing.
                      He can call it what he wants, but it is stealing, pure and simple, which is what price switching is. He was defrauding the store with his actions, and while he did pay something for what he got, he was not paying the price destermined by the store to be the price for that carpet. In other words, stealing.

You can call a Yugo a Ferrari, but in the end, it’s still a Yugo.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                        Clerk: "Ohhh, I LOVE your hair color!"
                        Me: *pissed* "What the fuck does that mean?"
                        I have a lot of people ask me about my hair color, and it is fake. They want to know how I got the color and streaks, especially if they see me in the hair color aisle.

My hair used to naturally be a light auburn. Now, I have to color it (turned mousy brown and started sorta graying, and it looked like c**p), and my stylist puts big bleach streaks in it, but not as highlighting, farther down the side of my head, so they show through the layers.

Next time, just tell him/her the brand and shade/number of your color.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Heh. It's not that I care whether anyone knows my hair is fake colored or anything. I KNOW damn well it doesn't look real, but I like the shade of it anyway. Just about ANY little comment along those lines can make me snap, though.
                          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

My most recent dye job didn't quite come out the way I intended. I was going for a shade of red that, while it is not my natural dark brown, would look like it *could* be a natural color on me. What I got was a shade of red that just barely manages "this could *possibly* have naturally occurred on a human head". You could practically use my head as a stop light. My main thought at this point is, "Uh, God, if You're taking requests for really trivial stuff, could we please have this fade a little bit and SOON? Many thanks for Your time and attention". The box said "bright auburn blonde". They weren't kidding about "bright". Yeesh! Can't reasonably apply any further coloring products yet, either (the hair does need some recovery time).
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Hicksey View Post
                              As long as they don't call between 4pm and 6pm I agree with you. Ones that call at dinner knowingly are just inconsiderate.
                              I understand what you are saying, a lot of call centers go on automatic dialer so the front end person really has no control over it. But anyone who knowingly does that, yeah that's inconsiderate.

Kibbles

Comment

Working...
                              X