Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The customer is always right? I don't think so!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you're all going to be jealous of me, but....

My company's employee manual states, and I quote "Though the customer may not always be right, do not shove this in their face."

IOW, "The Customer Is Always Right" doesn't fly in the arcade. We're really nice. I'll give you a replacement token if yours falls under a heavy game, and you're really nice and curteous. Hell, we've all been there.

I have seen my manager bend the rule once for a customer about cash refunds, and that was because they were leaving the country that day. Which, honestly, I can see. But most people who ask for refunds are total a$$es about it. *Loves having a manager who'll back him up.*
    Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Quoth AnqeiicDemise View Post
      SC: THIS! -he points at me- is the most rude, obnoxious and self-righteous person I have ever dealt with.
      Y: He says his pizza was burnt, C.
      M: why didn't you give him his pizza?
      C: Because he ATE 80% of his pizza, threw away the remainder and demanded a new one. You've both told me that I shouldn't give away free pizzas when someone eats the whole thing. How--
      Y: you should have given him his pizza.
      M: I'm so sorry about this. I am sure C will make you a fresh one.
      SC: I want Crazy bread too. And I want the large ones.
      M: you'll get your crazy bread too.
      SC: and marinara sauce.
      M: You know what? WE'll give you two bins of sauces. How's that?
      SC: Can I have a second pizza?
      M: Sure, we'll give you a SECOND pizza... and because I understand how troublesome this was, we'll also give you a $25 gift certificate for the store.

And as I'm standing there, baffled, at the verge of tears as I hear what the store manager is conceding to this bastard, Y turns to me and says "Customer's always right."
      The manager shouldn't have caved to this scammer. I believe that the conversation should've gone something like this.

Customer: I want my free pizza. I didn't like the one I got.
      Manager(to Employee): Did you see him eat the pizza?
      Employee: I saw him eat most of it.
      Manager(to Customer): Sorry, you don't get a free pizza since you ate most of yours.
      Customer: But it was horrible. I want my pizzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
      Manager: You're making a scene. I request that you leave now.
      Customer: Not until I get my free pizza which I demand you make for me right now!
      Manager: You're not getting a free pizza and you need to leave right now!
      Customer: I'm the customer and I say that I'm getting my pizza.
      Manager: I'm the manager and I say that you need to leave.
      Customer: Forget it! (stomps feet)
      Manager: GET OUT AND DON'T EVER COME BACK!
      Customer: I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED WITH LOSING ME AS A CUSTOMER! (storms off)
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
        The manager shouldn't have caved to this scammer. I believe that the conversation should've gone something like this.

Manager(to Customer): Sorry, you don't get a free pizza since you ate most of yours.
        Customer: Not until I get my free pizza which I demand you make for me right now!
        Manager: COULDN'T BE HAPPIER, JACKASS!
        The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

Comment

I've usually found the customers that spout 'The customer is always right' at me are utter jerks. Without exception.

I always have to bite my lip to respond with 'No. They are not.'
          Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

AnqeiicDemise, I am so sorry that you had to deal with that waste of flesh with the horrible case of sphincter scoliosis.

If it had been me dealing with this lackwit and spineless manager, I'd have fast-pitched the apron right at the manager and walked out. NO ONE should have to deal with that kind of abuse, especially after they just TOLD you what to do to this customer. I smell a huge set-up going on at that point.

I seriously hope you found greener pastures soon after that episode.
            Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Quoth AnqeiicDemise View Post

SC: It was burnt.
              C: excuse me?
              SC: the pizza was burnt. I demand a new one.
              C: My apologies. May I have the pizza I just gave you? I'll switch it over with a new one.
              SC: um...
              C: what's the matter sir?
              SC: I ate it.
              C: In that case, I cannot give you a new one sir.
              SC: but it was BURNT!
              C: But you still deemed it good enough to eat, then demand a new one.
              SC: but I wasn't satisfied.
              C: you *ate* it.
              SC: but I wasn't satisfied and I want a new one.
              C: I can't do that. You ate the whole pizza.
              SC: but---
              C: The next time there is something wrong with your pizza, just bring it over here immediately and I will be more than happy to exchange it for a fresh one. I cannot, however, give you a new one after you consumed a whole thing.
              SC: This is RIDICULOUS! I always eat here! Where's your manager? She ALWAYS gives me a free pizza whenever I'm not satisfied.

After much arguing and my kindly reminding him that our 'satisfaction' guarantee does not imply the satisfaction of his full belly rather than his taste buds and that he needs to remove himself before I call security, he storms off. (he was getting violent, by slamming his fists on the sneeze guard and yelling)

TEN MINUTES LATER, I see SC, Y *and* M coming my way.

The look on Y's face is one of sheer anger, M is calm and SC looks smug.

SC: THIS! -he points at me- is the most rude, obnoxious and self-righteous person I have ever dealt with.
              Y: He says his pizza was burnt, C.
              M: why didn't you give him his pizza?
              C: Because he ATE 80% of his pizza, threw away the remainder and demanded a new one. You've both told me that I shouldn't give away free pizzas when someone eats the whole thing. How--
              Y: you should have given him his pizza.
              M: I'm so sorry about this. I am sure C will make you a fresh one.
              SC: I want Crazy bread too. And I want the large ones.
              M: you'll get your crazy bread too.
              SC: and marinara sauce.
              M: You know what? WE'll give you two bins of sauces. How's that?
              SC: Can I have a second pizza?
              M: Sure, we'll give you a SECOND pizza... and because I understand how troublesome this was, we'll also give you a $25 gift certificate for the store.

!
              "No, C will NOT make him a new one.

F you (point at Y)
              F you (point at M)
              F you (point at SC), I'm out! (walk out the door, never to be seen again.)"

Oh well, if it's any consolation, with managers like Y and M who cave into SC behavior and encourage, it's no wonder K-Mart went bankrupt and is generally a worse shithole to shop or work in than Wally World.

"The customer is always right" translates to "If the customer is unhappy, it's exclusively the employee's fault." That is bullshit.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

OT: K-Mart went bankrupt? I remember the local K being replaced with a Sears, but... I gotta get out more! ^_^

I can only stomach that steaming pile of bs as much as this bad $1 lasagna I'm eating right now... it's in situations such as that that one asks wether or not one can continue to endure such madness for the sake of a paycheck.
                "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Well you can blame Wal-Mart in part.

When I worked there, our floor manager told us the two "Golden Rules"

1. The customer is always right.
                  2. If the customer is wrong, reread rule #1

They had these posted in our break room too.

I don't know if it started with Wal-Mart, but they definitely preach it and I would assume a lot of SCs are assuming that because Wal-mart does it, everyone must do it.

That's just one of many things that pissed me off about working there.

Comment

Yeah, I know Stew Leonard's does the same thing (ah, where else did I write this?) 'cause my grandparents have a mug with those sames rules on it. Heck:

"The store is also known for its customer-service policy, which greets shoppers at each store's entrance etched into a three-ton rock:

The customer is always right.
                    If the customer is ever wrong, re-read rule #1."
                    -- Wikipedia (my emphasis)
                    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Whoever came up with the phrase clearly didn't take into account that a lot of people are simply retarted.

Comment

oh please, whoever came up with the phrase must have never actually worked a day of retail in their life.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

But The Customer is Always* Right

*for extremely small values of always
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                            oh please, whoever came up with the phrase must have never actually worked a day of retail in their life.
                            Actually, Katie, that phrase is attributed to the owner/founder of a British department store chain called Selfridge's (not positive if that's the correct spelling). And it's a MISQUOTE, at that!

Once upon a time, the owner of said dept. store chain was interviewed, and asked what the secret of his success was. His response? "I treat every customer as if they're always right!" And very shortly thereafter, that phrase was misquoted as "the customer is always right!" and that's where it all went down hill for those of us that work in retail.
                            "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                            --StanFlouride

Comment

I hate that crap. I thought, since my parents owned there own hotel, I didn't have to deal with these people, I can just tell them off. Fact of the matter is, we are franchised, and we still have "higher" ups to deal with.
                              A customer made a complaint about us a few months back. She used "the customer is always right" while at the hotel, so I'm sure she used the crap during her phone conversation with customer relations.
                              She claimed that the hotel has "gone down" from the last time she stayed (which was in 2004). She claimed we had LESS amenities than the last time (since 04 we added free WiFi, voicemail, expanded the FREE breakfast, new bedding/towels (all added this year), 16 camera security system, new carpetting, etc.), and then she also said we were $30 more than last time. Last time, she stayed in a regular double queen room on a weekday, this time she stayed in a king suite on a weekend, totally unrelated in my opinion.
                              She didn't anywhere with me, but she must of put up a fight with customer relations, because they "awarded" her $30. Guess where that money comes from, thats right, us. I told customer relations that this women was a thorn in my side, and of no use to the chain. But these spinless supervisors are the reason we have these problems, they can't say no. The sup told me that while I feel she is a worthless customer, the hotel chain doesn't since *PLEASE READ CAREFULLY* "she stays at one of our hotel chains ONCE every year". Hold the phones, I think I need to re-evaluate what I said. Worthless? I think not, she contributes to 0.00000000000000000000000001% of my annual revenue, she's a prefered customer if anything!!

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post

Do you want to be my manager? <3<3<3!!!
                                "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Working...
                                X