This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Customers at Sea

Long time lurker - first time poster. I've been working my way from the back and reading all the past posts. I've been out of working with the public for 3 years, but have lots of stories from my few years at sea, as well as previous jobs.

I worked in the entertainment department and near the end of each cruise we would do a backstage tour. This is run mostly by the technical department along with the dance captain and occasionally a member of the cruise staff. This particular week the dance captain (female) was sick (*cough* hungover *cough*), so the assistant came for the tour (VERY gay male). I was stationed near the end of tour to assist the passengers down the stairs from the stage back to the audience area. They had just come out of the dressing room where the male dancer had just done his spiel. An overweight, 50-ish man with a very thick southern accent came up to me and we had the following conversation:

SC: Where's them female dancers at?

ME: I'm sorry sir, at the backstage tour only the dance captain attends.

SC: Yeah, but where's they at?

ME: Well sir, they may be rehearsing, at the gym or enjoying some down time before their big show this evening (actually, they were mostly nursing their hangovers from the killer crew bar party the night before...as was I)

SC: I wouldn't have come to this stupid thing if I had know I'd only see a black, gay man!!!

ME: I'm sorry if it wasn't to your liking, sir.

SC: If I can't meet female dancers, hows I gunna sleep with one?

ME:

I couldn't respond. He stormed away, so I just stood there, blinking. I told the dancers about it that night and pointed him out to them from backstage (he was sitting front and center). We all had a good laugh, and I think one of the girls winked at him from the stage... probably made his day/year/life.

Here's a list of common questions we used to get, almost every cruise (so sad).

Do these stairs go up or down?

Will these elevators take me to the front of the ship?

Do the crew sleep onboard?
    (No sir, we fly in from helicopter each morning. -- we had someone complain later in the cruise that the noise from the helicopter kept them awake and they wanted freebies)

Does the ship make it's own power?
    (No sir, we have a VERY long extension cord)

Oh, you're from Canada? You speak english very well.

Why are the back brushes for the shower so much rougher than the ones on Carnival?
    (Because that's a toilet bowl brush, sir)

Where are the whales? The Captain promised we'd see whales! I demand that he produce whales!!

Why are we rocking? I demand that the Captain stop making the ship rock so much!

What time is the midnight buffet?

How do I work the microwave in my room?
    (Ummm....do you mean the safe?)

Is the water in the toilet salt water or fresh?
    (Grab a glass, let me know the results)

The orange pillow on my bed is hard. Where can I get another?
    (That's your life jacket, m'am)

Lots more to come!
    Last edited by CruiseShipGirl; 05-17-2009, 01:29 AM. Reason: spelling error

usually it's not fresh water. why waste fresh water on a toilet when you have a limited supply

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      usually it's not fresh water. why waste fresh water on a toilet when you have a limited supply
      Yeah, it's what we called "gray water" - recycled water from the sinks and showers. I was always baffled as to why they would think we'd use fresh water (what a waste) or salt water (bad for the pipes).
      Last edited by CruiseShipGirl; 05-17-2009, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Of course. And be sure to check out the new holodecks.

Comment

Quoth CruiseShipGirl View Post
          Do these stairs go up or down?
          "Yes."
          Does the ship make it's own power?
          (No sir, we have a VERY long extension cord)
          Oh, the answers I could come up with for that one...
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I went on a Princess cruise (the Golden Princess)
            It was the best vacation EVER! I thought the tours and the crew and all the events were wonderful!
            A cruise is the best value vacation you will ever have.

Boy oh boy, tho, there must be TONS of funny stories a crew person can tell...after a week at sea with 2,000 (often drunk) people.....
            I no longer fear HELL.
            I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Helecoptors keeping up at night! Bwahahahahahaha!

Comment

Yes they'll even take you to the engine room. Just don't touch the Warp Drive.

ETA:

Oh yeah and

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
                  I went on a Princess cruise (the Golden Princess)
                  The Golden was one of my first ships. Met my husband on board (he was a crew member as well).

Quoth Enjis View Post
                  Boy oh boy, tho, there must be TONS of funny stories a crew person can tell...after a week at sea with 2,000 (often drunk) people.....
                  Between my husband and I, we probably have hundreds of stories......It'll take a while, but I'm going to try to post once a week or so with some. Lots of stories from waitressing as well. I used to do that between contracts
                  Last edited by CruiseShipGirl; 05-17-2009, 05:17 AM. Reason: grammar error.

Comment

Why are we rocking? I demand that the Captain stop making the ship rock so much!
                    "That's a side effect from the whales you ordered sir."
                    wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                    ----
                    Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

I LOVE cruises. Sorry you have to deal with the jackasses there though.

Comment

Argh working on there sounds even worse than working on a plane!
                        No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Where are the whales? The Captain promised we'd see whales! I demand that he produce whales!!
                          That's the deluxe package. You only paid for the basic package, so whales aren't included.
                          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                            Argh working on there sounds even worse than working on a plane!
                            On the bright side, a cruise ship has fresh air, instead of being stuck in a pressurized cigar tube with engines glued to the sides.

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
                              On the bright side, a cruise ship has fresh air, instead of being stuck in a pressurized cigar tube with engines glued to the sides.
                              Yes but imagine being stuck with sucky passengers for days, even weeks at a time! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
                              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Working...
                              X