This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    I was proofreading mathematics journal articles...I didn't have the foggiest clue what they were talking about.
    I don't think they know themselves half the time. The average article in a journal like that looks like it's been written by a madman with access to 4 alphabets to spew across the page, followed by the statement that what he's just written is so trivial, he's not even going to bother proving it to you.

It's called proof by intimidation.
    "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

You should publish it the way he wants. After all, he'll be the one getting the hate mail...
      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth MannersMakethMan View Post
        I don't think they know themselves half the time. The average article in a journal like that looks like it's been written by a madman with access to 4 alphabets to spew across the page, followed by the statement that what he's just written is so trivial, he's not even going to bother proving it to you.

It's called proof by intimidation.
        The interesting part, in the beginning, was figuring out where a whole big long equation was a noun, and where the = or > or whatever in that big long equation was actually the verb of the entire sentence. After a while I got used to it, but it was a little mind-boggling at first. In the year I worked in that job, I think there were two papers that I read and had a reasonable idea of what the math being described was supposed to do. One had to do with figuring out who was stealing cable, and the other had something to do with wine.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The interesting part, in the beginning, was figuring out where a whole big long equation was a noun, and where the = or > or whatever in that big long equation was actually the verb of the entire sentence. After a while I got used to it, but it was a little mind-boggling at first.
          I have a lot of sympathy with anyone who has to try to understand maths. It's like learning a whole other language, and having to spot a grammar mistake in it (if the inequality's supposed to be the other way round or somehting like that). To last a year doing it blind is some sort of achievement!

I think there were two papers that I read and had a reasonable idea of what the math being described was supposed to do. One had to do with figuring out who was stealing cable, and the other had something to do with wine.
          You actually found two readable papers? The only one I've found understandable is one where they're cutting cakes fairly. Those do sound interesting mind you.
          "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

One had to do with figuring out who was stealing cable, and the other had something to do with wine.
            Quoth MannersMakethMan View Post
            The only one I've found understandable is one where they're cutting cakes fairly. Those do sound interesting mind you.
            I never looked at anything so interesting when I studied maths. I guess I should have studied applied maths instead of pure maths.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
            X