This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preachy SC

This one didn't happen to me. I wasn't even there. But I've heard this story twice now, and must share it. It was pretty much the exact conversation both times, but it involved different CWs. So I'll just type it once, heh. Point of reference--the SC is an older guy, and both CWs were younger (17 and 22)

CW: *greeting*
    SC: Yeah, I'll have a medium coffee, black.
    CW: *types order in* Can I get you anything else?
    SC: Nope
    CW: All right sir, your total comes to $1.92
    SC: *holds money out*
    CW: *takes money, but SC doesn't let it go*
    SC: You know what your generation's problem is?
    CW: .......um, no sir, I don't.
    SC: You always take the money before you get the product.
    CW:
    SC: I find it very disrespectful that you would take my money before getting me my coffee.
    CW: Well, sir, I meant no disrespect.
    SC: *grinning condescendingly at CW*
    CW: *releases money, retrieves coffee, then takes money*

Seriously, WTF is that??

I would find it more disrespectful to turn my back on the customer while he/she is holding money out for me.

After I heard this story a second time, I racked my brain to think of what people have done for me when I'm the customer--do they get my stuff first or take my money first?

Then I realized, I wasn't sure, because I DON'T CARE!!!

I told the second CW this happened to that next time he should remind this preachy old fart that he's taking my CW's money every paycheck in the form of Social Security and Medicare.
    Here's your sign...

I believe standard procedure, except for a sit-down meal, is pay first. I can't think of anywhere that would allow me to be in possession/use of merchandise without paying for it first--especially not merchandise meant for immediate consumption.
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I agree I find it more irritating to stand there holding my money out while the clerk goes to get whatever item. But mostly I don't care. Of all the things in life to worry about this is pretty high up on the top 10 Petty Pissings list.
      Tamezin

Comment

Totally agree with Primer. I've never felt comfortable getting stuff before money has exchanged hands. At a restaurant the fact that I eat before I pay is just hard for me to get my head around. Maybe that's because "my generation" has a problem or something.
        Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

I think the reason why you don't pay first at a restaurant is because it's a service--the food's just part of it. Like you don't pay for your car to be fixed before it's fixed and all problems solved. But for goods-like groceries, fast food, clothes--you have to pay first for full exchange to occur.

So preachy dude's silly.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

You pay first so you don't run out the door with the coffee without paying
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

some one should remind him that it's not Your generation... but the corporate heads (probably HIS generation) who came up with the rule of Pay first- Then Coffee...
              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
              -Red

Comment

Quoth EmilyRose1982 View Post
                SC: You always take the money before you get the product
                You know what your generations problem is?

It is NO LONGER your generation that is in charge, so buck up and pay bub.
                I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well, there's one I never heard in all my years of foodservice. But I get plenty of wierd (weird?) comments and jokes from the older guys. They just have too much time on their hands in which to think too much.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Wonder how this douche feels about pre-pay gas before you pump?
                    I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Well, there's one I never heard in all my years of foodservice. But I get plenty of wierd (weird?) comments and jokes from the older guys. They just have too much time on their hands in which to think too much.

weird.

(It's easy to remember because it doesn't follow the rule - it's weird! )

(of course now I'm looking at it so many times it looks wrong either way )
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The only place I expect to pay after getting my coffee/tea/doughnut, etc. is Tim Hortons. And they have "pay at the same time as getting item" policy because of employees accidentially taking money and using it instead of wax paper sheets or napkins. Usually a sheet of wax paper or napkin if they're out of them is used to get a doughnut and then put in the baggie with it, but some absent-minded employees took the customer's money and used it instead then gave it back with the doughnut, or wrapped around the coffee cup.
                        Otaku

Comment

Sigh. i think im dlowly getting more jaded

SC: You always take the money before you get the product.
                          First thought

only becasue your generation kept walking off with the product without paying

Comment

i've only seen one sit-down "pay first" restaurant off the top of my head... and that was in australia... you bought your ticket, went up to the top of the tower and ate buffet.

i can't even remember if there was a tip policy or not... though since i was with my Mr., im sure whatever we did was appropriate. (he's very keen on tipping properly)

Comment

Kiwi's comment had me almost peeing my pants. Too true, too true.

Too bad you can't snap back, "You know what's the matter with YOUR generation? You won't accept that many of the things are the way they are these days because of past generations messing it up for everyone!"

Or the fact this his generation still tries to barter/haggle and will take anything that isn't bolted down to the table at most restaurants.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X