This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "She'll put it up for you."

Once again dealing with pax sat at the over-wing exit.

Mum, dad and daughter. I was explaining about the no bag rule for take off and landing.

Dad says to the daughter "nah don't bother moving, SHE'LL put your bag up for you, that's her job." He ignores me and directs this at daughter.

As you know, I do no lift passenger luggage as the threat of back injury is not in my job description. We are told NOT to lift bags and we are not insured if we hurt ourselves. Meanwhile the passenger that you lifted the bag for is long gone.

I felt so cross. "Actually we don't lift passenger bags for our personal safety."

The dad then refused to stand up and put the back in the overhead as that was my job apparently. Bear in mind, big bag, I'm slim and petite, dad looks like a body builder! It's their bag, their responsibility.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm resigning but meh. I just shrug and say 'well I'm not lifting it, you either put the bag up there or you will have to go onto the jetway and get it tagged and put in the hold.'

He grumbled a lot but did as I said.

Seriously. Why is everyone I deal with recently so entitled?
    No longer a flight atttendant!

I hate that saying! "It's your job to..." whatever.

I once had an SC say "It's your job to deal with rude people!" whilst complaining. Yeah, don't I know it!

Also had a drunk say "It's your job to clean it!" after pissing themselves.

Comment

I've never ever expected a stewardess to put my bags in the overhead compartment for me. Granted, it's usually just my laptop and camera bag and I'm not about to let a stewardess touch either but still. And when I have a bag with clothes, I'll pay the 10 bucks or whatever to have it checked because I hate hauling heavy bags through the airport and I really hate those people that seemingly can't check anything.

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
        You answered the question yourself, you are getting ready to retire. You have what in school aged (HS and College) persons is known as senior-itis.

All those little things you would normally let slide are bugging the piss out of you because you know that soon...very soon... you won't have to deal anymore.
        Tamezin

Comment

You've got short-timer's attitude. Quite understandable.
          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
          HR believes the first person in the door
          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
          Document everything
          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post

Hmmm.....could be the short-timers thing.

But another theory may be similar to what's seen in the animal kingdom, where an animal can "smell" fear, and may be more prone to attack.

In this case, the SC's can smell the "I'm damn near outta here", and turn on the extra suck!

Mike
            Meow.........

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
              I once had an SC say "It's your job to deal with rude people!" whilst complaining. Yeah, don't I know it!
              I hate it so much when people say this. It's basically saying that it's ok to be an asshole to another person because it's "their job" to put up with it. Just horrible and heartless logic.
              My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
              My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

I am not an inconsiderate, rude, or pissy person in general.

But even if I were, I take notice of the announcement on flights that not following the directions of air personnel is a violation of the law. Now, I don't know if the laws over there are the same as they are over here, but if they are, don't these people want to avoid violating the law and, oh, I dunno, being marched off the plane in cuffs at the hands of air marshals? Just a thought.

Hell, I not only follow their instructions, when they bring me my cocktail, I tip them. They tend to love me for that! And I even sometimes help them out. During one of my recent flights for my vacation, while the flight attendant was shutting the overheads, I noticed that one she shut only latched on one side, the other side staying unlatched. Realizing this could be a potential safety hazard with, you know, luggage coming out and falling on to someone's head, I called the flight attendant over and politely pointed this out to her. She thanked me and fixed the problem, making sure the bin was closed properly.

I will never understand the people that insist on being rude assholes to their flight staff.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  I will never understand the people that insist on being rude assholes to their flight staff.
                  They are the same people that are rude assholes to their bartenders, and everyone else.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

*Sigh* I am going to miss reading your stories, Princess... But congratulations on your move.

However, I'm hoping that the very nice attendant my DH and I met on our recent flight back from vacation will be willing to regale us with his stories (I slipped him the CS website info on the way off the plane while thanking him and the other attendents for patience with our flight (drunken a**holes screaming every time we hit turbulence ).

The amount of suckiness encountered during just a 4 hour flight can't possibly be compared to an overnighter or 3-dayer (Toronto-Zurich-London-Asia return) which he does 2 or 3 times a month.

He sat facing us in the jump seat across from us during take-off and again quite a few times during the turbulence during our flight. (we nabbed the emerg. row by getting to the airport 4 hours early - we like to have the extra legroom and don't mind getting their early enough for that and time to get through Canadian customs without rushing).

The amount of times he (and the other attendants) had to keep telling people to shut off their phones, put up their trays, stay seated, was just amazing.

And - geez - if you're screaming because of the turbulence, I'm pretty sure you can bet that the attendant isn't going to risk life and limb to get you another freakin' drink, asshat!
                    No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Working...
                    X