Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You don't have thousands of dollars on hand? What the hell is this?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You don't have thousands of dollars on hand? What the hell is this?

It never fails.

Around 11 am a few mornings ago, I saw a guy sauntering up to our store with a big sports bag.

Oh joy! I think to myself, A big giant trade to start my day!

Now he said he just wanted to trade the stuff in towards something. Ok, fine not a problem, so I start going through his trade which consists of:

- 3 consoles
    - 12 controllers
    - Over 40 games
    - And a few other accessories

It was well over $400 worth of stuff.

As soon as I give him a total he decides he wants cash instead of store credit.

PROBLEM!

We have been open ONE hour and I have done exactly TWO cash sales. We keep our opening cash amounts low as a robbery prevention measure. The bottom line is I DO NOT have hundreds of dollars with which to pay this guy.

I inform of this.

SC: Well how am I supposed to get the money?
    Me: We can mail you a check or you can come back later when we have more cash on hand.
    SC: Well when might that be?
    Me: No way to tell, might be a few minutes, might be a few hours.
    SC: Look man I need the money to pay a bill ASAP, like before lunchtime if possible.
    Me: I wish I had to give you but I don't.
    SC: This is SUCH an inconvenience! How can you offer cash trades and then not fulfill them??? You all should be better prepared, you never know when someone like me is going to bring a lot of stuff in. You should keep at least $1000 in the till at all times!
    Me: $1000?
    SC: Yeah! Then we wouldn't have this problem.
    Me: (Oh "we" huh? Like this is somehow a big deal to me?) Unfortunately we don't do that and I can't do anything for you.
    SC: You can't like just write me a check?
    Me: Nooo, all the checks must be issued from corporate.
    SC: But this is such bullshit! Just give me my damned money! I need to pay a bill.
    Me: Sir I DO NOT HAVE enough money in this store to cover this trade right now and I DO NOT know when I might. If you want your money today, that's your only choice.
    SC: *grumbling as he grabs his stuff and leaves* My damned car might be repo'd by then...I don't believe this!

This happens ALL the time, people shocked we don't have a miniature bank vault in the back for whenever they need money urgently and haul in a buttload of their games and such to sell to us.

Will they ever learn? (Note: I already know the answer to that)
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Either he needed to pay a bill or he needed to beat feet away when someone finds out their stuff was stolen.

Comment

If that man needs get money to pay his bills, why (assuming it really is his) did he spend so much money to buy all those items. Maybe all he does is play games all day long.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        As soon as I give him a total he decides he wants cash instead of store credit.
        He probably decided that when he stole the stuff originally.

Comment

His lack of ability to pay his bills on time and up to date is your problem...why?
          "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            I wouldn't necessarily say he stole it... I have all the systems and more games then I can count... been a time or two that I had to almost sell mine cause I missed a bill or hours got cut...

He how ever is a very SC for failing to realize that almost no business starts their till with that much. Not only is it a safety issue and it is also a rarity to need that much. Not only that most companies have a drop policy meaning that when the till hits so much cash you have to drop some of it for safety.

Comment

I hate that. In the pub we keep no notes on site overnight, just the registers and some change. It is so irritating when the first few customers decide to pay with a £20 note, and then get shocked when, two minutes after we have opened, we do not have an endless supply of £5 and £10 notes.

Comment

Quoth Silas G. T. Brontë View Post
                If that man needs get money to pay his bills, why (assuming it really is his) did he spend so much money to buy all those items.
                Err, apart from having 12 controllers, I easily have the rest of that list, and more. You know how I got it? One piece at a time, over years. Now, throw in a bit of fiscal irresponsbility, and he could have gotten it back when he had the cash to spare, and just didn't leave himself a cushion of savings.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                  I hate that. In the pub we keep no notes on site overnight, just the registers and some change. It is so irritating when the first few customers decide to pay with a £20 note, and then get shocked when, two minutes after we have opened, we do not have an endless supply of £5 and £10 notes.
                  Cash machine itis. Which is why I try to get odd counts out, guarantees a tenner.
                  ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                    Either he needed to pay a bill or he needed to beat feet away when someone finds out their stuff was stolen.
                    Or, he blew so much money on the electronics that he did not have enough cash left to pay the other bills.
                    That's CrazedClerk's problem how?!!? Maybe the repo man will take some of the electronics as payment, but I wouldn't bet the mortgage money on that.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      Now, throw in a bit of fiscal irresponsbility, and he could have gotten it back when he had the cash to spare, and just didn't leave himself a cushion of savings.
                      That's what I was referring to in the first place. He could have saved a little bit each period for any unexpected expenses and the car, both of which are more important.

Of course, now the man is upset at CrazedClerkthe2nd for not having the cash he now needs for his expenses like it was his fault. Now his car might be gone later.
                      Last edited by Silas G. T. Brontë; 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Quoth Silas G. T. Brontë View Post
                        That's what I was referring to in the first place. He could have saved a little bit each period for any unexpected expenses and the car, both of which are more important.
                        That would be the fiscal irresponsibility. He may HAVE had the money, then his situation changed.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

this is why we have a limit to how much of a return we can do at our store. no one but management can authorize a return for more than $60
                          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                          -Red

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                            I think he was hoping that if he said it was a trade he would get more $$$ than if he said cash up front. He was trying to "work" the system, except it seems like this store doesn't differentiate trade in value for store credit or cash.

This used music store I go to will for example give $15 cash or $20 store credit for the exact same stuff.

Comment

Quoth sprocket79 View Post
                              I think he was hoping that if he said it was a trade he would get more $$$ than if he said cash up front. He was trying to "work" the system, except it seems like this store doesn't differentiate trade in value for store credit or cash.

This used music store I go to will for example give $15 cash or $20 store credit for the exact same stuff.
                              No we do differentiate, but it was still well over $400 even on a cash trade.
                              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                              X