This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Holiday EW

It is Thursday. On Tuesday I go on holiday. Such joy one cannot describe. I have not had a holiday longer than three consecutive days since 2007. It is not an exaggeration to say that I have been whistling a merry tune for the best part of a fortnight in anticipation of a week of relaxation with my significant other. Assuming he finds his passport in time…

Anyway, my glow of happiness was slightly dented this morning when a brand spanking new author rang up. Uber Boss (who is at home today, potentially with Swine Flu, but more likely a bad case of ‘comfybeditis’) commissioned it a few months back and this morning the manuscript arrived by special delivery (often a bad sign when authors treat their book like their first-born). I fear I may have been a little sharp with him...

At 8.54 (six minutes before I am paid to give a damn) New Author (NA) rings me up. Italics are my thoughts.

NA: Hello, is that BookBint?
    BB: Never pick up the phone, never pick up the phone... Yes it is.
    NA: This is New Author. I am ringing to see if my manuscript arrived.
    BB: Yes it did, it's sitting in front of me now.
    NA: Excellent, now tell me, what do you think of it?
    BB: Um... well, it arrived approximately seven minutes ago, so I haven't looked it yet. Doof
    NA: Well when will you get on to it?
    BB: WTF? Who are you, the Editing Enforcer TM? Well since it's a November title we will be starting the edit almost right away.
    NA: Good, good. And what type of edit will you be doing?
    BB: Back seat editor. Type? Lemon-flavoured? Well I am on holiday from next week so that will be up to Uber Boss or CW.
    NA: What? But won't you be dealing with it? Didn't you do the contract?
    BB: Yes I did, but I imagine UberBoss won't want to wait for me to come back to start the edit.
    NA: Well I think you should have scheduled your time off a little better! Didn't you know you had an important manuscript coming in?
    BB: Sir, I have three or four books coming in a week. If I thought like that I wouldn't be able to schedule a holiday for the rest of my working life. Approximately 41 years.
    Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

But it's an important manuscript....The second coming of Jesus, the cure for cancer and the secret for the Cubs to win the World Series all wrapped in. Important I tell you.....You know that tape that Snake Plissken destroys at the end of Escape from New York, more important than that. Obama...lightweight compared to this manuscript...

too bad you can't give him an answer from a famous author:
    Why don't you go take a flying f--- at a rolling donut? Better yet, why don't you go take a flying f--- at the moooooonnnnnnn.

Comment

I didn't even know the USPS still offered "Special Delivery" as an option? Gives me memories of watching Mister Rogers growing up.

SirWired

Comment

Quoth BookBint View Post
        Uber Boss (who is at home today, potentially with Swine Flu, but more likely a bad case of ‘comfybeditis’)
        We've had 4 people off in the office - 2 official cases, and someone else whose children were in a school with cases. It was a bit disconcerting as the first ones were when they were testing and isolating and blah blah blah and then by the time the results would have been due on the colleagues children they weren't testing anymore and no results were given.

I've been ill but have been terrified it would be the flu (as I'm off next week too) and have missed a day and a half but otherwise been the working-dead. Still not as bad as flu though.

I never succumb to comfybeditis because if I did I would every monday without fail...

Quoth sirwired View Post
        I didn't even know the USPS still offered "Special Delivery" as an option? Gives me memories of watching Mister Rogers growing up.

SirWired
        In this case it's probably Royal Mail special delivery as BookBint's in the UK. Possibly just the trackable service but probably a HUGE increased amount (for something as heavy as a manuscript) just to get guaranteed delivery the next day (or before noon the next day). I can't imagine using it for a parcel.

He's an idiot for thinking his book is that important, unless he was doing it to meet a deadline from the publishers (which would just make him polite).

Victoria J

Comment

If I ever do become published, I know full well I must be humble and open to much criticism. I won't be one of these others who's a huge EW.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth BookBint View Post
            Uber Boss (who is at home today, potentially with Swine Flu, but more likely a bad case of ‘comfybeditis’)
            I get that ALLL the time! It's a very serious condition. Also highly contagious for anyone who happens to be in bed next to you

Have an awesome vacation!!
            !
            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
              the secret for the Cubs to win the World Series
              Like that would help them.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Like that would help them.
                Until the Red Sux won the World Series a few years ago (which I'm happy for so that their fans could shut the hell up), I dreaded that the match up was about to be the Cubs Vs. Red Sox. I thought maybe it would be a series that would go to game 7 and so many extra innings that they would actually call the game and declare neither team a winner.

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
                  I get that ALLL the time! It's a very serious condition. Also highly contagious for anyone who happens to be in bed next to you

Have an awesome vacation!!
                  and then if you get an attack of snugglitis from the cat ... forget it, especially if she hits with the terminal purring ...
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                  X