This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a new one for me.

So I spent today at work helping out the vendors cleaning up the paintbrush aisle for a re-set. At one point a boy (maybe 15 or so) approached and said "Can I help?" I thought maybe he had asked for help, but the vendor said yeah he could probably help out organizing. I asked the other vendor if he worked for them, and she thought he worked for us. So I told them no, and we asked him did he mean he needed help? He was at the other end of the aisle from me, so I couldn't hear him very well, but no he wanted to help. He was told no he can't help if he doesn't work for the store; and it sounded like he didn't take it well. He asked to talk to a manager, so he was sent up front to ask for one at the register.

I heard a page for a manager and later asked the f.e.s, J, if he had been up there. Apparently he approached her and told her he needed a job, and she informed him he wasn't old enough; so he demanded a manager. He told my manager he needed a job and MOD told him there were no positions available at the moment. Boy rants about how he doesn't need to be employed, he "just need(s) something to do!".

seriously WTF?
    wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
    ----
    Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Initiative? Check. Willingness to work? Check. Having a clue as to how workplaces operate? Not so check.

It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't escalated it to the managers, sheesh. Someone should tell him there are plenty of places that will take him as a volunteer if he needs to be put to work that badly. ...though it does make me wonder how he'd behave in that situation too.
    "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Somebody steer that boy to the nearest Habitat for Humanity! They'll put him to work in a heartbeat, and their warehouses *always* need arranging.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I'd tell him to buy a game and go away. That's some crazy shit right there lol He should be hanging out with friends, nobody wants to work hahahaha

Comment

I'd hire him. He obviously wants to work, better then most employees.

Comment

Quoth elsporko View Post
            I'd hire him. He obviously wants to work, better then most employees.
            Same here. Especially since not that many young ones have that kind of enthusiastic desire and initiative work. He might not be old enough, but he could go for a volunteering position and from there get some experience, regardless if it's with your job or not. Having a volunteering stint or two makes you look good both ways, inexperienced or not.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
              Initiative? Check. Willingness to work? Check.
              A few shifts dealing with SCs and those will be gone.
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Dang. What a dufus.
                you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

When they're only 15 there isn't much you can let them do. At least in Arkansas. We can hire them but they can't use the grill or the fryers or go in the walk in. So you more or less get someone who can only work a register.

Comment

Hey at 15 they can sweep the floor. Take out trash.
                    the manager should have been nice and suggested he look into volunteering at a nursing home (some do accept young volunteers for things like craft programs) or a 'soup kitchen' or the library.
                    It isn't often these days you see a teenager who WANTS to help.

Comment

Like I said, I couldn't really hear him well, but it sounded like he said he was just looking for something to do while his grandma shopped. But yeah he should volunteer somewhere, then he wouldn't be in my store in the first place.
                      wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                      ----
                      Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

Well, at least he didn't do what other bored teenagers do at glitter hell. Pour craft paint down the aisles, go crazy with the spray paint (now we have to tape every can of spray paint up before we put it out, on freight day. Gah.), they like to take the boas and just do all sorts of random shit with them (tie them all over fixtures on the opposite side of the store from where the boas actually live)... find the glitter and POUR it out. Find the sand, do the same. Find the marbles, scatter them.

Oh lets play catch with the styrofoam balls. Dent up every block of oasis. More foam sword fighting, never mind the old lady and small child. Hey, a good place to do this is the glass aisle.

Still, that's pretty weird. If someone gives corporate the notion that people will do this crap for free...I can't see it ending well.

(I love, love looooooove the customers who think they'd LOVE working there. Heh. Yeah, no.)
                        you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Working...
                        X