This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the north = cold/snow

It's that time of year again for those of us up north in the states: snow season

Usually by now we've had our first snow (it's never bad, never too cold but chilly). We just had our first snow yesterday... here enters the bitchers... er SC's.

SC: Is this kind of early for snow???
    Me: No, by now we have usually gotten a dusting at least. (Keep in mind, it did snow today but it rained after and most of the snow went into liquid form)
    SC: OMG this is horrible!!! I didn't bring a winter jacket!!! (Side note, more often then not as I grew up in Montana I have had to venture forth on Halloween through snow... If there isn't snow, it's freakn' cold!) So, what's the weather going to be like the farther west I go?
    Me: Well...you go into the mountains farther west so...more snow.
    SC: (Wait for it, idiot SC moment comingWell, as long as it's not on the roads, I don't care.
    Me: ... ... ... *blink blink* (I had to say it!) Well, it can't avoid the roads so that is the bad thing about it....
    SC: *stare in horror*

I have had a handfull of people already freak out about the cold...Hello this is Montana. Sure, this part has the milder winter (southern/bottom area of the state) but it does get cold and snowy here. The fact that people freak out about this....makes me sad for them.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

This reminds me... the snow line in Salt Lake is getting uncomfortably close to the valley floor, and I need new tires before I can really safely handle snow on the road

But Hippie, I feel your pain... last winter (and if I'm stuck here too much longer... *crosses fingers on interview tomorrow*... this winter will have them too) we'd always get people bitching about how they had no idea there was a possibility that flights would be canceled. Umm... hello... Salt Lake is known for the 2002 Winter Olympics, Ski resorts, and Mormons... two of the three of those require snow which can and does delay flights (I'm trying to think of how the third can delay flights, but so far nothing has come to me )
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I admit, I have always imagined up to a few years ago that the States doesnt have a real winter, despite having seen all the Home Alone movies and all that with snow, heh.

Up here in Calgary, its not unusual to have snow in july and then be BBQing on christmas in shorts on the deck though
      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Wait....Montana....cold....in October?? Amazing!!!

Ugh, some people
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          This reminds me... the snow line in Salt Lake is getting uncomfortably close to the valley floor, and I need new tires before I can really safely handle snow on the road

But Hippie, I feel your pain... last winter (and if I'm stuck here too much longer... *crosses fingers on interview tomorrow*... this winter will have them too) we'd always get people bitching about how they had no idea there was a possibility that flights would be canceled. Umm... hello... Salt Lake is known for the 2002 Winter Olympics, Ski resorts, and Mormons... two of the three of those require snow which can and does delay flights (I'm trying to think of how the third can delay flights, but so far nothing has come to me )
          Yeah...that reminds me... A lady guest last night also assumed the airport here closed down, no not just delayed but completely closed, during any snow. Also, that we had tons of snow days off of school here. One of the B shift girls was still here & she & I are from here and we can't recall EVER having a snow day...ever. This guest was surprised as heck that life doesn't just stop. I told her that nothing would ever happen for 5 months and commerce has to keep going... She just couldn't believe it! LOL wow...

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
          I admit, I have always imagined up to a few years ago that the States doesnt have a real winter, despite having seen all the Home Alone movies and all that with snow, heh.

Up here in Calgary, its not unusual to have snow in july and then be BBQing on christmas in shorts on the deck though
          Wow, that's some fun weather. LOL I have a friend in...man I don't remember where, Canada. She told me we Americans can keep the snow! lol I was sad I couldn't "blame Canada" for the snow.... hehe
          When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

OMG!!! Snow in the north!?! Ugh, makes me think of the people around here that panic over 1/2 an inch that melts by noon. Dozens of car accidents and people complaining because we didn't salt. Yes, I've seen some places salt over the snow instead of shoveling and salting; they have to use a ton of salt and it's disgusting.

Hee, where I come from, you designed your halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit! How I pitied those brave, foolish bellydancers, cheerleaders and sexy nurses.
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post

Hee, where I come from, you designed your halloween costumes to fit over a snowsuit! How I pitied those brave, foolish bellydancers, cheerleaders and sexy nurses.
              Yep, the smart ones did the same here!

Comment

I come from western NY state ... I spent more halloweens with a dusting of snow on the ground as we wandered around extorting candy

I get so exasperated with Scott Haney, the weather guy on WFSB. I swear he has NO concept of weather, if it is warm, it is UNSEASONABLY HOT OMFG!!!1!11!!eleventy and if it is cold, WE ARE GOING TO FREEZE IF WE GO OUTSIDE and DIE ON ALL THE BLACK ICE !!11!11!!eleventy

He has no concept that an *average* means that it might be warmer or cooler that whatever the normal temperature is any given time. Just because September has normally been in the 60-70 range for the past 10 years, it doesnt mean that in the 50s or in the 80s is particularly unusual. It has been warmer in the past 15 years than it was prior to that .... even mrDrone [who was duty stationed here back in the early 80s commented that it was warmer and had less snow on the ground.

Not to mention, if there is an inch of snow overnight, all the schools shut down. When I was growing up, the only time we got a snow day was if the town couldn't get the busses out of the garage because they got at least 8 inches of snow overnight.

*sniffle* I miss western NY ... an inch of snow here = the state damn near shuts down and people drive about 20 MPH on the expressway ... back home, they slow down from 70 to 60 *sigh*
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  I come from western NY state ... I spent more halloweens with a dusting of snow on the ground as we wandered around extorting candy

I get so exasperated with Scott Haney, the weather guy on WFSB. I swear he has NO concept of weather, if it is warm, it is UNSEASONABLY HOT OMFG!!!1!11!!eleventy and if it is cold, WE ARE GOING TO FREEZE IF WE GO OUTSIDE and DIE ON ALL THE BLACK ICE !!11!11!!eleventy

He has no concept that an *average* means that it might be warmer or cooler that whatever the normal temperature is any given time. Just because September has normally been in the 60-70 range for the past 10 years, it doesnt mean that in the 50s or in the 80s is particularly unusual. It has been warmer in the past 15 years than it was prior to that .... even mrDrone [who was duty stationed here back in the early 80s commented that it was warmer and had less snow on the ground.

Not to mention, if there is an inch of snow overnight, all the schools shut down. When I was growing up, the only time we got a snow day was if the town couldn't get the busses out of the garage because they got at least 8 inches of snow overnight.

*sniffle* I miss western NY ... an inch of snow here = the state damn near shuts down and people drive about 20 MPH on the expressway ... back home, they slow down from 70 to 60 *sigh*
                  Being from Buffalo originally, I'm with you on that. Ok, I didn't move all that far away and we still get lake effect snow (a lot), but it's amazing how many people that have grown up in the area forget that winter happens and how to deal with it. The first snowfall we get and everyone rushes to the grocery stores like it's the end of the world. And of course, they forget how to drive in the snow.....
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                    This guest was surprised as heck that life doesn't just stop. I told her that nothing would ever happen for 5 months and commerce has to keep going... She just couldn't believe it! LOL wow...
                    Maybe she was from down here -- the entire region DOES stop with just a hint of the white stuff. We normally get a light dusting on one day, once every four years or so...The last one, XMAS time last year, actually reached the ground and didn't melt for a few hours. It looked cool enough, but it all vaporized by noon. A legend, thus, was born.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Maybe she was from down here -- the entire region DOES stop with just a hint of the white stuff. We normally get a light dusting on one day, once every four years or so...The last one, XMAS time last year, actually reached the ground and didn't melt for a few hours. It looked cool enough, but it all vaporized by noon. A legend, thus, was born.
                      Hahaha, yes! I remember elementary school shutting down for a day because, horror of horrors, temperatures reached freezing the night before. There were patches of ice in the water puddles from the previous day's rain!

That wasn't even a snow day. That was a...cold...day?

Comment

See, up here we're famous for snow, but I can't remember the last time I actually had a snow day. I'd look outside and go "No way are we having classes today, there's six inches out there" and we would anyway. Even while districts around us were closed.

I still think it's because the superintendent is from Alaska and therefore believes we all have a secret stash of huskies and bobsleds somewhere, should the situation warrant it.

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                          Wow, that's some fun weather. LOL I have a friend in...man I don't remember where, Canada. She told me we Americans can keep the snow! lol I was sad I couldn't "blame Canada" for the snow.... hehe
                          Has to be Vancouver. It's the only place in the country where snow is a shock to them.
                          I AM the evil bastard!
                          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I grew up in Kansas. Nowhere near Montana and points North for snow, but not bad. I don't recall many snow days either. And, most of the time, I walked to school. Now I'm in California, and call everyone who goes around shivering in 62 degree weather a wimp.
                            The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

School Snow DAYS??????? what the heck are those????????

the only reason they close down the schools here is if the wind chill temps drop below -30F or if it snows like all heck after 3am. heck we can get a foot or more of snow during the evening the night before and they will still have school the next day
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X