This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, you can always take off enough to get cool. You can't put on enough to get warm.
    Yeah, but there's a limit to how much you can take off before you get arrested for indecent exposure.

No really, I'd rather have snow than more 115+F temps. :-)
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

growing up in southern florida (not key west...touch further north), I only knew what snow was because we spent a few christmases up in Maine.

Except those winters were either REALLY dry with heavy winds coming in off the ocean (like 2 minutes walking distance from my grandparents house to the beach) and NO snow, or heavy snow and ice and NO wind.

Living where I do now in nowhereville, Franklin (if you know the state history you'll know the state), winters are strange. We rarely if ever see any serious snow before the new year, but we'll either have seriously cold weather and dry, or warm and wet.

ditto for people over reacting about the weather outside....they call for blizzard like conditions and the grocery store is EMPTY (but full of people), and everyone drives like its fricking the end of the world.
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
        I blame everyone in this thread for even mentioning the s-word.

Why, you ask?

There is a slight chance of that dreaded s-word this weekend. As if a temperature plunge from 70s/80s in September down to 40s the past week and a half weren't enough of a reality check.
        and you thought I was going to mention it first HUH??????

ahhhhh the first "snow" of the season. how many of our fellow Winsconsinites are going to literally freak out at the dusting we are suppoed to get on Sat. and Monday.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          3 years ago, the Sunport did close down because of the snow. But in our defense, that storm did break 50-year-old records and there were blizzard conditions.
          I was there then...we had been in OR, our arriving flight was one of the last let in and the roads up to Santa Fe/parts north were being closed not far behind us. Lots of big rigs on the side of the road, and the usual idiots who thought it just dandy to rocket past us at 90 only to end up in a ditch a few hundred yards up. Los Alamos proper was shut down for about three days. Somewhere, I have a photo of a frozen pizza in a snowdrift on the deck because there wasn't quite enough room in the freezer.

I also remember a few closures due to snow in college. Also a number of evening class cancellations because the professors lived in Los Alamos.
          We get two flakes floating through the air and all of the "flakes" driving freak out!
          Hee...I managed to have The Twit thinking that snow in Santa Fe was fallout from Los Alamos.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            Actually, the problem is Nunavut exporting snow down to the US and it comes across the Canadian border in a few areas.
            Wait...If their snow is anything like their callers...Does that mean you're sending us STUPID SC snow?!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

At least it eventually melts...

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                Hee...I managed to have The Twit thinking that snow in Santa Fe was fallout from Los Alamos.
                That is awesome! Especially since Trinity was down at White Sands.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

At least it eventually melts...
                  This is true.

Let's make some snowballs out of it and chuck it GK's way...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    That is awesome! Especially since Trinity was down at White Sands.
                    I've been to Trinity Site (and have some Trinitite to prove it), but not White Sands per se.

Best thing is, my dad (who lives in Los Alamos) went along with the joke completely--he has as short a tolerance for ditzes as I do.

As far as I know, she was still believing it up until she decided to no longer talk to me...so much for her critical-thinking skills (there is stuff still in bunkers there, but as far as anyone knows it hasn't affected anything).

Comment

Brings to mind this old sprite-comic I made once...

Retales #5: Strange White Fallout
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Snow is the reason I don't mind rain.

You don't have to shovel rain.

B
                        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

That in a nutshell is what happened in my freshman dorm (a good number of students there were from the east, which made it even funnier...you'd think people from the Northeast would be used to snow. I guess they thought it never snows in the desert).
                          Quoth Bandit View Post
                          You don't have to shovel rain.
                          Unless it washes crap into gutters...then you have to shovel that.

Last year my dad told me about a mini-glacier in his driveway that, over a period of a couple days, advanced up to the front "porch", then retreated to the car. This was back-and-forth until it finally melted enough to slide down to the bottom of the driveway.
                          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Welcome to Finland.

The official thermometer here is below freezing at night, but I haven't seen any snow here yet. That's reserved for the northern parts of the country so far, which have already opened the ski tracks - well, the ones that don't go across lakes, anyway.

The great thing is that Finns can actully deal with winter, both on the roads and otherwise. The houses are well insulated and heated, the railways keep going in all but the worst storms, and I've seen (and even ridden on) buses in the middle of blizzards. In the far north they do tend to resort to snowmobiles and skis rather than cars, but that's all part of the plan.

Comment

we got half an inch total last year. They gave us a snow day during January because it hadn't snowed yet and the county felt bad for us. Today it got to a high of 87ish. We had an event called BOA, bands of America, today. The past 3 years of the event have always been on freezing days. I wore long johns. Yeah. Today everyone was in shorts. I don't think we're gonna get that much snow again this year.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                                The great thing is that Finns can actully deal with winter, both on the roads and otherwise.
                                They certainly can. Some years ago we had a (small) blizzard in Denmark, everything stopped, the buses didn't run, the schools were closed and the army had to use tracked personnel carriers as ambulances because the civilian ambulances couldn't run. I went to work but I didn't have many customers.
                                Then a week later I went to Kuopio, the plane landed on time on the snowcovered runway, the bus drove at normal speed through weather not much better than the blizzard in Denmark, and everything worked fine, normal traffic everywhere, children going to school, no panic at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X