This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's cute how you think I care

So today I'm out on the salesfloor counting furniture tags when some old fart comes up to me.

"Wal-Mart has this shelving unit for $29.99, and I come here and you have the same thing for $40. I could get an even bigger shelving unit at (farm/hardware store colloquially known as "the man's mall") for $19."

Okay, then why aren't you at either of those places, instead of giving me a hassle about prices I have no control over? I just tuned the old dude out and didn't say anything.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

People like that make me laugh. Oh, you want me to lower the price at a store that doesn't price match because you're too lazy to go to Walmart? Nice try.

When I worked for the appliance repair company, someone called in to complain that we charged her more to repair her stove than Company XYZ would have charged. Well, maybe you shouldn't have agreed to that estimate before shopping around.

Comment

He didn't WANT the shelf. He probably goes around from store to store comparing prices just to get out of the house and be able to find something to give people shit about.
      I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

As if we'd have been hurting from his lack of business anyway. It was stupid busy today.

Seriously, I got stuck doing four carryouts from 8 to 1:15. Four. Most Mondays we might get four carryouts the entire day.

Comment

There are a few stores, Walmart among them, that I prefer not to shop at for fratching reasons I won't mention here.

However, since I'm not an SC I understand that I'll have to pay a little more to the smaller local shops I'd rather do business with. I also understand that the reason they can't match prices with places like Walmart are because they do not have those same policies that would make me not want to do business with them either.
          Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I prefer shopping with the little guys, too (when my paycheck allows for it...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't). I have no problem paying a little more (a) for infinitely better service and (b) to help support the smaller places.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Why people think that annoucning the other store's price is going to impact our prices is beyond me. Honestly, it's just rude. If you don't like the price, just leave. Don't tell me you don't like it, I can't do anything and you're wasting your time and mine, and making me bitter in the process.

<Sigh> Everyone should have to serve in retail and food service for 3 months, just so they can learn common courtesy...

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                He didn't WANT the shelf. He probably goes around from store to store comparing prices just to get out of the house and be able to find something to give people shit about.
                My friend's grandfather does that.

He once berated a KMart clerk for 20 minutes about sidewalk chalk. When the manager finally offered to sell it to him for half the price he goes "Nah, I don't want it" and walked out.

He made a side business out of getting deals on broken down/damaged lawn mowers at different stores fixing them up and selling them.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                  someone called in to complain that we charged her more to repair her stove than Company XYZ would have charged.
                  I've gotten something similar when doing freelance work.

Computers: Most people are happy that I charge less than stores, but a few come back with "That's too much for [issue that they think is simple but really isn't]!" OK, take it to the store then.

Petsitting: "The vet only charges [$5 less than I do] to board my cats!" One of your cats needs twice-daily shots, and likes to bite the giver (the vet actually has raised his price for boarding that cat due to the fact that it attacks everyone).

Ebay "trading assistant": "15% plus fees is way too much!" OK, you can take it to one of the dropoff stores (if you can find one in this state), but they charge 30% or more and specifically state that they are not liable if anything catastrophic happens to the items.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                    You just described the entire Baby Boomer generation of Wisconsin.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I guess I should be proud that I was born during the Baby Bust, then (the period of lower births shortly after the Boom)
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You're not even a native of this state and you've figured it out.

Comment

I like it when customers mention prices of other stores with a preface of "I don't want to be rude, but I can get this at Walmart/Target/Big Lots/Lowes/EVERYWHERE ELSE for cheaper...."

Because, apparently, I'm supposed to be offended. I don't make the shit we sell, I don't receive a commission from it, I get paid the same if you buy here, or buy it across the street. And I don't care.
                          you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Add Minnesota to that. Its no different here.
                            New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                            New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post
                              I like it when customers mention prices of other stores with a preface of "I don't want to be rude, but I can get this at Walmart/Target/Big Lots/Lowes/EVERYWHERE ELSE for cheaper...."
                              Or, "I am not trying to go over your head but I would like to talk to your supervisor"

these are the customers that think they are good ones because they are being nice to me and respecting that my rules say I have to tell them no but they figure my supervisor will put their job on the line for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X