X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Ignorant Customers Part 2

As a follow up to http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=58153

I did loose the job. I was called one day about 2 hours before shift and told to not come in. They would call me when I would be needed again.

I went to legal to see if I could go after them but was told because NY is a state where you can fire someone with no reason I had no case. I was not given a reason, just told not to come in.

Oh well. I work for a better place now. I am a photographer for THE company known for the bad 80's pictures LOL

I know more hilarity will ensue!
    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

The right to terminate for any reason does not give them the right to terminate for any reason. They still have to abide by laws against discrimination and other illegal acts.

My sister-in-law was fired form one company because she refused to sign an arbitration agreement. This agreement basically stated that she waived her right to sue the company if she felt the need to and would agree to go through an arbitrator, who's decision would be final. A lot of companies force their employees to sign these when they're not worth the paper they're printed on. she went to the Labor Board and they took her case. She sued and won.

In your case, if you can prove it was for religious discrimination, you can sue. it doesn't matter if employers can terminate employment at any time. Forget local lawyers, contact your state labor board.

CH
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
      The right to terminate for no reason does not give them the right to terminate for any reason. They still have to abide by laws against discrimination and other illegal acts.
      FIXED

IF and that's a big IF in cases like this you can prove that either you lost your job due to your religion or that your boss revealed your religion to customers without your permission, then yes you have a strong case.

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
        The right to terminate for any reason does not give them the right to terminate for any reason. They still have to abide by laws against discrimination and other illegal acts.

My sister-in-law was fired form one company because she refused to sign an arbitration agreement. This agreement basically stated that she waived her right to sue the company if she felt the need to and would agree to go through an arbitrator, who's decision would be final. A lot of companies force their employees to sign these when they're not worth the paper they're printed on. she went to the Labor Board and they took her case. She sued and won.

In your case, if you can prove it was for religious discrimination, you can sue. it doesn't matter if employers can terminate employment at any time. Forget local lawyers, contact your state labor board.

CH

Wal-Mart is famous for firing people for the stupidest of reasons. So if they want you gone they can & will fire you for any reason that they can dream up. It may not be right but it happens all the time.

Comment

That's the trouble, though: short of their admitting the reason, you'll never prove it.
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Sorry you lost your job due to ignorant bigots and a bigmouthed boss. I'm glad you got a new job, though, and I hope things go better!

ETA: Did you tell any other Pagans what had happened to you? Don't know if they can do anything, but I'd think they'd want to know, just in case something did happen.
            Last edited by XCashier; 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM. Reason: thought of something else
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Holy crap that sux. Not that it sounds like a great place to work when your boss so casually mentions your religion and then doesn't even do anything when they start threatening to hang you.

Ugh, it really makes me wish that some sort of karmic justice could be had on all of those (and it's frustrating that you really can't do anything legally about it cause I do agree that all they have to do is find some silly reason they fired you that's not based on religion/race and you'd have to find some way of proving they were lieing. Good luck on that when it sounds like the only witnesses would take her side as they wanted to hang you. Though I still would like to see them go on trial on the small hopes that something did come out of it).

I've been charmed, I meet all the tolerant religious people, heh. But then I've lived in big cities most of my life too.

Comment

That is really wrong and I think you have a good legal leg to stand on; especially since they threatened your life, which I would have called the police on right away. I feel for you having to deal with small-minded idiots like that. I do too; the ones that somehow think all Pagan religions center around orgies and blood drinking and animal sacrifices...Umm, been watching a little too much Hollywood there?
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

You want to fire someone for being religious in at will state? Simple, just fire them and claim it was "performance related".

I don't think the terminated person has any recourse at that point.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

As sorry as I am for anyone to lose a job, Im GLAD, nay..fuckin ecstatic youre not there, stuck with those smallminded fucks anymore, Squirrel.

Hope it all works out for ya.

Comment

Working...
                    X