X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Things Happen, So I Happen First

In the evenings I am a Samurai Warrior.

Which is to say that in the evenings I teach a martial art and help run the school.

Of late my instructor and I have been giving 90-minute self defense talks to some of the local sororities. Nothing in-depth, just the short, sharp and brutal things that can be done to get away.

My instructor is a local police officer and wears his uniform to the talks, and I tend to show up in 4-inch heels, tight pants and a nice shirt.

I am older than the girls we talk to, but I truly hope I was never as naive at that age as many of the girls are.

"Oh, I could never do that!"
    Then you have just done your attackers work for them. If you persist in thinking like prey, then I hope you never become prey. I've been in some sticky situations and it is amazing what a change in attitude can do to alter everything.

"But I'm a good girl!"
    My instructor and I try to convey that the world doesn't care if you are a good girl or a bad girl, Bad Things can happen to you.

"I'd just knee them in the groin!"
    The groin shots aren't nearly as effective as what you'd think. The vast majority of men block automatically, so the attacking knee spends the energy on the blocking leg muscle. Secondly, as much as it can serve to debilitate, a successful groin shot can also cause a Beserker-like state.

"Ew! That's gross!"
    Eye gouges are gross, I don't like to think of doing it, either, but if it's a choice between me and an attacker, I'm choosing me. I am more comfortable with the thought of ripping out piercings, but I understand where that could be seen as gross.

"I can hardly walk in the shoes I go out dancing in"
    Trying to convince these gals that these techniques can be done in heels is part of why I wear mine to the demonstrations. I can do the techniques my instructor and I show them like foot stomps and shin scrapes, and I can also do more elaborate techniques in them, like high kicks and throws.

"But I'm not strong!"
    Strength is helpful, but a basic escape from some one grabbing your wrist doesn't need strength, what it does need is you moving with your whole body. And when you stand up and try doing that, please practise Situational Awareness and stop crashing into me.

It's not that I dislike the girls in question. It's just I find myself very frustrated with this idea that Good Girls don't need self-defense combined with the attitude that Good Girls Aren't Physically Violent. I've had friends that got assaulted, and I truly don't want to have it happen to anyone else.
    Last edited by Igorina; 04-19-2010, 01:14 AM.

i like you. you intrigue me. and i really hope those girls never get put in a situation where they'll need to protect themselves...because they won't have a clue how. and that saddens me. they should really include self defense in elementary gym class. there are waaaay too many victims out there.

Quoth Igorina View Post
    "I can hardly walk in the shoes I go out dancing in"
    then...why wear them? i never really understood that concept. i dunno about the rest of the female populous, but i have this thing against wearing, let alone buying shoes that hurt. it just seems pointless. and dangerous...
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

Comment

As an avid Martial Artist, the idea of wearing high heeled shoes or stilettos gets me all giddy. Steel-toed boots would be nice, but sometimes I'm just in the mood to impale something. Sadly, such shoes are not for me. Eventually you learn to take your disadvantages and turn them into advantages. If you spend most of your time on your toes anyway, such shoes aren't really a problem. You just need to concentrate on not getting your feet kicked out from under you.

I'm not really surprised that those girls had such a reaction. Sometimes the world doesn't seem real enough until the crap starts hitting the fan in the room next door to you. It can be like the Tiger Stone. "This stone helps keep the Tigers away. You don't see any Tigers, so it must be working." "I'm a good girl, so nobody will attack me. *Girlish grin and eyelash flutter* " ... yeah. Right.

May they never have to learn the hard way.
      SC: "Are you new or something?"
      Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
        As an avid Martial Artist, the idea of wearing high heeled shoes or stilettos gets me all giddy. Steel-toed boots would be nice, but sometimes I'm just in the mood to impale something. Sadly, such shoes are not for me. Eventually you learn to take your disadvantages and turn them into advantages. If you spend most of your time on your toes anyway, such shoes aren't really a problem. You just need to concentrate on not getting your feet kicked out from under you.
        I've never had a problem with moving in heels on a stable surface. I've often wanted to do a self-defence routine for a tournement in heels but, a) they'd puncture the mats, and b) the guys are too worried about accidental impalements.

Even if you get your feet kicked out from under you, get on your back and kick up to the knee caps with both legs.
        Last edited by protege; 04-19-2010, 03:23 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote tag :)

Comment

Used properly, stilettos can inflict massive damage. The heels focus all of the force of a kick into a very tiny area. A kick with regular shoes has the same amount of force of course, but spread over a much larger area, so you get bruising instead of outright bleeding and puncturing.

Comment

Right at this very moment, in honor of this thread, I am brainstorming a new kind of shoe. A deadly kind of shoe.

... possibly a Swiss-Army shoe.

Comment

This is great. One of my old professors in college always lamented that they never taught women's self defense classes there, so she asked about it. Unfortunately, there were only about ten women on average, when it was offered, who took it. The rest felt they were just 'safe' because they were good Christian girls and nothing can happen to a girl in Idaho . . .

Supreme lack of good judgment. Even if nothing does happen, a basic knowledge of self-protection is only common sense. But then, I'm gay. Of course I'd think that way in an extremely conservative place, wouldn't I? I see the danger, even if these dumb girls don't.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

A) I would very much like a Swiss-Army Shoe. It needs to double as a pair of pliers and come with a bottle opener.
                B)I constantly run into the "Good Girls Don't..." mindset. While it's a bit more subtle in the office(Good Girls don't make a fuss when they get passed over for promotion 3 times in a row with no reasons given), it's fairly common in social circles still.
                You want a boy to like you? Don't beat him at sports or board games and don't make more money then he does. I'm sure you can think of plenty of other examples on your own.
                Every now and then I'd like to grab whoever came up with "Good Girls Don't..." and shake 'em until their eyeballs got loose. But that might be construed as violent and good girls don't do that after all

Comment

I may be 6foot 2 and built like a brick sh!t house (And a guy) I still accept that this doesn't exclude me from being attacked by some drunken a55.
                  I may fight rapier and be gentlemanly etc, and wrestle with the guys carefully, but in those bad situations I'll be fighting as dirty as possible to get the hell away.
                  "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                  Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Right at this very moment, in honor of this thread, I am brainstorming a new kind of shoe. A deadly kind of shoe.

... possibly a Swiss-Army shoe.
                    Reminds me of Kevin Kline in Wild Wild West when he gets his "knife-in boot" stuck in one of the neck magnets!
                    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                      I may be 6foot 2 and built like a brick sh!t house (And a guy) I still accept that this doesn't exclude me from being attacked by some drunken a55.
                      I may fight rapier and be gentlemanly etc, and wrestle with the guys carefully, but in those bad situations I'll be fighting as dirty as possible to get the hell away.
                      G'haa. Be careful of the drunkies. There's a reason it's called "drunken monkey" style. :-/ When you're drunk, your muscles are a bit looser, so you can just kinda fold under the hits that you're taking and absorb the blows that much better, if hit in a place that can do that. Drunk drivers tend to survive car crashes a little bit more than sober drivers for that same reason. They become rag dolls instead of clenching up.

Comment

I've taught two sorority sisters how to fight, but only because one came to us first. I've tried time and time again to get more girls to come fight with us but it doesn't work. I've run into the 'good girls don't' mentality enough times that I don't bother counting anymore.

Hell when my mom found out I fight she looked at my dad and went "she gets that from you I raised my daughter to be a lady!"

Dad for the win: "I know. But I feel a hell of a lot better letting her live 5 hours away having seen her kick the ass of some guy twice her size."

For the record the fighting I'm referring to is SCA heavy armored fighting. I beat people (mostly men) twice my size with sticks.
                        Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

G'haa. Be careful of the drunkies. There's a reason it's called "drunken monkey" style. :-/ When you're drunk, your muscles are a bit looser, so you can just kinda fold under the hits that you're taking and absorb the blows that much better, if hit in a place that can do that. Drunk drivers tend to survive car crashes a little bit more than sober drivers for that same reason. They become rag dolls instead of clenching up.
                          Interestin, and fair call, "Drunken ass" was more the label for someone who tries to attack me.
                          On the other hand, I've simply stodd up straight and set my shoulders and its made people back off lol.

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
                          Dad for the win: "I know. But I feel a hell of a lot better letting her live 5 hours away having seen her kick the ass of some guy twice her size."

For the record the fighting I'm referring to is SCA heavy armored fighting. I beat people (mostly men) twice my size with sticks.
                          SK - In this I know Size means jack all. Against the noobs its kinda funny making them flinch all the way back across the field, but against anyone else, size means nothing!!! (And this is rapier lol)
                          Last edited by ApolloSZ; 04-19-2010, 02:40 AM.
                          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Mad scientist by day, samurai warrior by night. You are so cool.

I grew up in a household that didn't hold with all that gender-role carp that most people have to put up with.

If someone were to try to attack me, they'd end up in the hospital with a busted knee. Or a key-puncture somewhere unpleasant.

Of course, I'm also obviously situationally aware, so it's less likely I'd be targeted, but I'm not goign to forget that it's always possible.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Speaking of spike heels....am I the only one remembering that scene in "Single White Female" and the number that Jennifer Jason Leigh's character does on Steven Weber's character?
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X