X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Igorina View Post
    "Ew! That's gross!"
    Eye gouges are gross, I don't like to think of doing it, either, but if it's a choice between me and an attacker, I'm choosing me. I am more comfortable with the thought of ripping out piercings, but I understand where that could be seen as gross.
    When I taught self defense, I used to say to people, "If it's going to make you vomit, you may as well vomit right on your attacker."
    Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

Self Defense was offered in my high school - only I never got to take it, because 1) they only offered it in blocks that did not coincide with my gym classes; 2) they dropped it after two months because no one showed up.

Instead, I taught myself to not take guff from anyone. Seems to have worked - no one's ever attacked me.

As to Apollo and shanky: I've seen heavy and rapier. Two of the DIRITEST fighting I've ever seen on the eric! My roommate is an archer and a heavy as well. (He hasn't done any heavy since his shield broke last summer, and his helm was damaged slightly as well). I do archery but I suck at it
      "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
      ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

yeah, I've watched fencing, I don't have the wrist strength to do it though, tried once and wrenched the bugger out of joint. I'm a melee fighter, I've seen some dirty tricks that the marshals haven't, by virtue of being in the middle of it and small.

People should also remember the story of the SCAdian woman attacked in Tennessee outside a bar. Guy came at her with a switch blade. She wrenched out his shoulder, broke his nose, and disarmed him. HE wanted to press assault charges when the police showed up.
        Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
          Right at this very moment, in honor of this thread, I am brainstorming a new kind of shoe. A deadly kind of shoe.

... possibly a Swiss-Army shoe.

I'd like to place an order?

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
          People should also remember the story of the SCAdian woman attacked in Tennessee outside a bar. Guy came at her with a switch blade. She wrenched out his shoulder, broke his nose, and disarmed him. HE wanted to press assault charges when the police showed up.
          I vaguely remember that. Made me really want to join the SCA (which I have; this past semester). I've discovered a good way to strengthen your wrists is to use a can of diced potatoes as a weight and just do little arm reps while watching TV.

No chance you still have a link to that story?
          Last edited by Evil Queen; 04-19-2010, 04:15 AM. Reason: adding content.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
            It can be like the Tiger Stone. "This stone helps keep the Tigers away. You don't see any Tigers, so it must be working." "I'm a good girl, so nobody will attack me. *Girlish grin and eyelash flutter* " ... yeah. Right.

May they never have to learn the hard way.
            I'd like to buy your stone for $50.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I hope you get through to them!

Violence happens to every kind of person; good or no! In fact, they'd probably attract it more, seeing as how they project vulnerability.

I'm pretty sure I've seen high-heels with concealed knives somehwere...

I have a nice ink pen with a knife in it; pen works too! But I prefer to fight hand-to-hand and dirty
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

A regular pen works wonders too, obviously. Hell, even keys are suitable as a scratching weapon. They're just hard to configure in your hand during a fight. X x.

I am far too kicky of a combatant. Kicks are just so much more powerful than upper blows, even with the little twist of the wrist at the end of the punch for added oomph. Anything that helps deal a sufficiently devastating blow would be worth looking into.
                SC: "Are you new or something?"
                Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                  No chance you still have a link to that story?
                  I do not actually, I was told the story by my laurel when someone said he could take me just because I'm small and a girl and he was decidedly not. I'll try and find it though, there's got to be a news article online.
                  Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

By any chance would the classes be called R.A.D for short? I took those classes! I scared my instructors.

If you can make those swiss-army shoes into sneakers/Flipflops I'll buy a pair.
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
                      Dad for the win: "I know. But I feel a hell of a lot better letting her live 5 hours away having seen her kick the ass of some guy twice her size."
                      Sounds like my mother. My mom, who has taken self-defense, has a black belt in Hapkido, and if threatened is the type that *will* hurt you. Seriously, I've seen it--during a demonstration at her belt ceremony...she was sparring with a guy...who was probably half her age, and had a good 100-150 pounds on her. Needless to say, she tossed him around like a rag doll, before dropping him on his ass
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

This reminds me.... I am thinking about taking a self defense class but having no luck finding one in my area at least not one that doesn't take place during all my classes.
                        "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                        -Red

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                          By any chance would the classes be called R.A.D for short? I took those classes! I scared my instructors.
                          No, these are not formalized classes like that, just techniques and habits that my instructor as a cop has found effective and I as a female have found effective.

Keys in the fist are good, we talk about those, about the right way to make a fist, purses as blunt objects/distraction. We suggest elbows to the solar plexus, blows to the soft tissues of the throat, slapping cupped hands over ears, bending fingers back against the joints.

Like I said, short sharp and viscious things to get away.

At the level these gals are at, suggesting anything more complex or that relies on strength would fall on overwhelmed ears.

Comment

Tsk that you don't live closer; I'd take your classes.
                            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Aw, I would take that class too. I did martial arts for a few years, but I was going to say that this is why I don't wear stiletto heels... then again, I know from being stepped on by ponies that concentrating the weight into a tiny area is really effective.

Comment

One of my favorite self defense from mugging is actually pretty simple.

I have a fake wallet, with a few fake bucks in it, and some business cards so it feels less empty.

It would only work if they weren't trying to attack me, and just wanted my money.

Of course, if I actually did get attacked, I'd probably just run like the scared little Nancy-girl I am.
                                "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Working...
                                X