X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather Dense

This one blew my mind a little...

SC: So, the words on the invitations you designed for me, the letters have these little weird things on them.
    T: ...the serifs, you mean? (Note: font is similar to Times New Roman in that it is a serif font.)
    SC: Yeah, those things. Can you do word that don't have them? I don't like them.
    T: Yes, there are plenty of sans-serifs fonts that don't have them. (I send the client three mockups of the text in different sans-serif fonts - picture something like Helvetica)
    SC: But they look so wrooooong and informal without them! Can't you just give me a font that isn't serif or sans-serif?

You want a font... that does not have or lack serifs. This is what is known as an impossible request since it defies logic.

I wish I'd been ballsy enough to send the entire invite back, changed to some sort of wingding or symbol font. No more letters means no more serif problems!

Quoth Taboo View Post
    I wish I'd been ballsy enough to send the entire invite back, changed to some sort of wingding or symbol font. No more letters means no more serif problems!
    I was just going to suggest that! Of course, if you really wanted to fuck with them, you could always use an Arabic or Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc. typeface
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

That hurts my mind.
      Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Gothic script, perhaps? Though the letters doesn't lack weird little things sticking out .

Comment

Only thing I might suggest at that point would be a cursive font.

How the heck does something like Times New Roman look "weird"? That font is so common and classic it's practically invisible.

At Kinko's we used to keep a small book on the counter with a small selection of each type of font and let the customer choose. Just a few serif, a few sans, and a couple formal cursives. May have had one or two fun novelty fonts in there. Just never let them know how many you have or you'll spend hours while the client fusses over them and tries to get you to make a million proofs.

Comment

Send it back in Blackadder or Papyrus. Or Old English.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

hire a bunch of kindergarteners, give them crayons and let them have at it; it won't be serif or san-serif, hell, it might not be even readable. it does give them what they asked for, however.
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
                You want a font... that does not have or lack serifs. This is what is known as an impossible request since it defies logic.
                ...Oh god. Oh wow. Thats just....ow to the brain. Thats on par with "Can you make the black lighter? But not a grey. It needs to be pitch black, just not black."

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                Send it back in Blackadder or Papyrus. Or Old English.
                NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! <runs screaming off a cliff, explodes into flames, is eaten by crocodiles>
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Or Klingon.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Well, with this kind of client, I have the perfect solution.

Comic Sans. She'll love it.

Comment

Optima has implied serifs :P

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
                        Well, with this kind of client, I have the perfect solution.

Comic Sans. She'll love it.
                        Sadly -- this is probably true.

I've developed a tic, if you will. My eye twitches whenever confronted with Comic Sans.

Comment

By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Egyptian Hieroglyphics....problem solved?
                            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

How about cuneiform?

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X