Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I am mis-remembering, since I generally don't read ingredients on condiments, but doesn't every manufactured ketchup in existence have HFCS in it? I think the only way to avoid it in that product would be either organic or home-made, neither of which is generally available outside a grocery store or specialty store.
    Something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be.
    Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?

Comment

Quoth terakhan View Post
      Maybe I am mis-remembering, since I generally don't read ingredients on condiments, but doesn't every manufactured ketchup in existence have HFCS in it? I think the only way to avoid it in that product would be either organic or home-made, neither of which is generally available outside a grocery store or specialty store.
      Heinz organic doesnt have HFCS, a couple other brands I can get at the local co-op also doesnt.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Hunts got rid of putting HFCS in their ketchup completely.
        "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone
          Incorrect, coeliac disease damages the cilia in the intestinal tract and can be very deadly for people.

Malnutrition is not a cute little issue that makes you pale and interesting, it can and will kill you painfully.
          I can see where you're coming from, but for most coeliacs if you come off the gluten it does repair. A dose of gluten causes temporary gastric distress for someone following and requiring a gluten-free diet. Long term, sure, but it's usually survivable and recoverable.

Rapscallion

Comment

yes; those sensitive to certain products have to learn to read labels and know what they're eating (at least, those who really have the issues and not those that self diagnose); rice, oat, quinoa, corn and soy are often good choices to replace wheat based products. thankfully, the food industry (specifically, organic and specialty types) have done a great job in providing alternatives for people needing alternatives.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
              yes; those sensitive to certain products have to learn to read labels and know what they're eating (at least, those who really have the issues and not those that self diagnose); rice, oat, quinoa, corn and soy are often good choices to replace wheat based products. thankfully, the food industry (specifically, organic and specialty types) have done a great job in providing alternatives for people needing alternatives.
              Mmmmm, oaty goodness.
              For the record, I'm not allergic to anything I've come across so far, but cucumber does many things, all of which have "Ewwww!" attached to them.

Comment

This guy is in a rest stop and bitching a storm about HFCS being in his ketchup? Man, his dining life must be pure hell then. Idiot.

I have one lovely female friend who is honestly allergic to a whole lot of shit. As I remember, she's allergic to (deep breath): dairy, coconuts, nuts (I think), seafood, mushrooms, and eggs (I think). Which makes her dining life interesting, as the list of stuff she can't eat is HUGE.

Does she bitch and moan and raise a ruckus when she's out dining and they don't have stuff she can eat? No. She calmly and politely inquires about certain things on the menu, then orders appropriately. Why? Because she's not a raging fucktard like this dude.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Oh, yes. There's even a name for it: Munchhausen Syndrome (.
                No, this is not the same as the "fashionable ailments" mentioned.

Those people are hypochondriacs, simply looking for attention.
                Those who suffer from Munchhausen Syndrom are hypochondriacs, yes, but to get the attention and sympathy they crave, they don't just whine about their imaginary illnesses, they actually go about making themselves sick.
                A subtle difference, perhaps, but still a difference. You could say the Munchhause Syndrome sufferers are hypochondriacs who are more driven.

(This is not to make fun of people with genuine illnesses or allergies; I'm merely talking about the fakers.)

Quoth lineswine View Post
                For the record, I'm not allergic to anything I've come across so far, but cucumber does many things, all of which have "Ewwww!" attached to them.
                I have exactly one food allergy of which I'm aware: bananas. And all that will happen if I have some banana is that my throat will get a little irritated. It won't kill me, I won't die, my kids won't be born with two heads and three anuses. I'll just get annoyed.

It's fun being able to eat anything!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                  ... Isn't the definition of "hypochondriac" and "Munchhausen's" you have nothing to back up how 'sick you feel'-- because whatever 'ailment' you 'have' isn't actually there!!? /ARG!
                  for the love of pancakes, can't people not be crazy and understand the fabric of reality at some point??
                  In other words, Seshat, WOW you have dumb relatives! (the ones who think that, that is)
                  Thank you.

Also, both Munchausen's and hypochondria are themselves genuine diseases requiring treatment. They screw up the lives of the sufferer (and often their relatives - especially M-by-proxy!) and are behaviours the patient can't themselves control.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Whenever anyone says "I'll have your job!" I'm reminded of someone here who replied to it with something like "Good, you can have this job!" ...

Comment

Seshat -- sounds kinda like my relatives, but with a different manifestation -- They decide for themselves "how things are" in any given situation, and nothing (up to and including a sign from the Almighty) will change their minds...and you know why?...Because they're "RIGHT"! You have my most profound sympathies.

At the pizza joint where I work, we offer a gluten-free crust -- I've gotten into the habit of asking callers "Is this for someone who's diabetic? Or Coeliac (sp?)?" (once in a looooooooong while we'll get someone who just prefers the taste), and having the others do the same (management agrees with me)....For diabetics, we tell them it's cool, just to take it slowly the first time they try it, just to make sure they don't have any sort of reaction. For 'C' sufferers, we tell them point blank that we don't recommend ordering it --- While we use separate trays, sauce, cheese, cutting tools, and even a different thingy to get the pan out of the oven (all of which are kept separate from the other stuff), and have the person making a GF pie wear a fresh pair of gloves just for that pizza, we have no way of 100% guaranteeing that no gluten will intrude...After all it's a pizza place, flour is in the air at times. We figure we can 99% guarantee it, but we really don't wanna get anybody sick, just in case. (For someone with C, or even a mild intolerance, even a tiny amount of flour could cause a serious reaction. Pure wheat is something like 12% gluten, which is way beyond even a "mild intolerance"'s safe gluten level)
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

And here I thought this one would be someone complaining that they wanted "Catsup" but instead they got "Ketchup".

Comment

Working...
                        X