Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get called "Maam" more often when my hair is short (4-6") than when it was long this summer (12-15"). Shaving the beard & burnsides 22 years ago hasn't helped.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I used to get called sir all the time and honestly, it really didn't faze me. I was used to it and my parents just used to chuckle at it when we were out at dinner and such. I wouldn't even bat an eye when it happened.

I've also had something like this happen to me. Where I work I can't usually see around the registers on the counter and sometimes I have to actually lean WAYYYY over my counter to see people standing in a certain spot so I do this once and see the side of a person with a form fitting horizontal striped hoodie but with the hood up. Now, I dunno about anybody else but when I see a pink and black striped hoodie with fit hipsters and glittery shoes I think GIRL. So I said, "Ma'am" in calling over.

Well...turns out it was a dude. I just kinda laughed at myself and he didn't mention it so whatever.

Comment

I think it's ok to correct someone politely, but really, to get upset? Most tellers, cashiers, etc. barely glance at people, as they're more concerned with accurately getting your tickets, ringing up your purchases, counting money, etc. With hundreds of people coming thru their lines in a day, they just can't take the time to stop and look closely at each one, whatever a person appears to be at first glance is what they're going to go with. As for not noticing boobs, c'mon, do you really want a teller staring at the chests of everyone who looks female so they can verify it before saying hello?

I was improperly identified once, by a waitress who thought I was male. I was devasted, I wanted to cry, I felt betrayed and horrified and insulted. But I got over it. I was six years old at the time.

As an adult, I really don't expect someone working with lots of the public in long queus to scrutinize each and every person to be sure they get it right - just isn't their job and can actually detract from doing their job in a timely fashion. Now, in a one on one longer session, such as an appointment with a person in an office, I would expect a bit more attention to detail, but a quick exchange with a ticket taker just does not make me expect close examination.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Flipside of the coin...

I was mistaken for a girl once (that I know of...), but I was seven at the time...With nearly shoulder-length bright-blonde hair (a trait common to many of my family members is nearly-white blonde hair as a child that becomes a really dark brown by adulthood) >_> At least that one is an understandable mistake -- just like the one in the OP ^_^. Many of the other ones in here sound like people simply not paying attention...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My fiance gets called Ma'am when he's on the phone all the time - the thing is he doesn't sound even REMOTELY female, and yet literally every time he's talking to Comcast, or his bank, or any other customer service agent, then refer to him that way. Drives him nuts.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

If it looks like a duck...

I once called my male boss "ma'am"... all I can say is that I was very tired, promptly face palmed and he, thankfully, had a great sense of humor.
              "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

A friend of mine used to get catcalled all the time when he had long hair. He's a small built, man with delicate bone structure. He'd call out "Thanks, I'm a guy." in a chipper voice.

We were traveling in my car once and got lost. While we were both hunched over our map, some frat boys pulled up beside us in the parking lot. We looked up and looked back at them and you should have seen the shock, awe, and horror when they got a load of Ivar's beard.

He later said, "You know the one that "liked the blonde" is never gonna hear the end of it.

Dude looks like a lady....

Comment

I am kind of small and when I had longer hair, I was mistaken from a woman a few times... from the back. Than I'd turn around and they'd see the beard.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    A friend of mine used to get catcalled all the time when he had long hair. He's a small built, man with delicate bone structure.
                    I'm thinking of Äpplekriget (The Apple War), specifically the tale of the Lindberg brothers. The longhaired man come at 4 minutes but it's worth it to see the whole tale (or the film).

Comment

I've been mistaken for male at times. I'm very tall (5'11), and physically imposing (though I wouldn't hurt a fly), and for a long time kept my hair very short.

It got better when I let my hair grow long and changed my clothing style. I wasn't ever offended though . . . it's not like the folks were being hateful. They just made a simple mistake. No big deal.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                        My fiance gets called Ma'am when he's on the phone all the time - the thing is he doesn't sound even REMOTELY female, and yet literally every time he's talking to Comcast, or his bank, or any other customer service agent, then refer to him that way. Drives him nuts.
                        I can top that. This happens to me at work pretty routinely despite the fact I am very clearly male and have a deep voice and plenty of facial hair to prove it. I have a slender build too so there's no way you could think I have boobs.

Any way you slice it, I'm a sir.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          I asked for a customer's name once and was told "Betty Davis." Now, this person had the deepest, most gravelly voice I'd ever heard. I would have sworn on anything you like that it was a man,
                          Usually in such cases I ask for them to spell it. If they get upset I'll point out that it can be "Davis" or "Davies"
                          FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Visiting my cousin Annette circa 1969, cruising Blackfoot's main drag in her car...

Her friends:

"Who's the chick with Annette? ... with sideburns??"

Now, if the Boob Fairy would just accept some returns....
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                              As an adult, I really don't expect someone working with lots of the public in long queus to scrutinize each and every person to be sure they get it right - just isn't their job and can actually detract from doing their job in a timely fashion.
                              This, really.

I don't expect someone who sees upwards of several hundred people in just a couple of hours to really take that much time to notice more than the important details, and as much as it's important to the customer, their gender isn't even vaguely relevant to the transaction of buying movie tickets.

I avoid the whole thing by refusing to use gender-specific honorifics whenever it's possible to use something else.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                                I am kind of small and when I had longer hair, I was mistaken from a woman a few times... from the back. Than I'd turn around and they'd see the beard.
                                There was a wonderful photograph in Life magazine, wherein you see a couple on a park bench from behind. The girl has this lovely long blonde hair, and she's leaning on his shoulder with his arm around her. So sweet.

Then you see the next photo, taken from the front, and you find out that it's an Irish setter...

clicky

Comment

Working...
                                X