Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to walk past a cell phone kiosk every single day in the Chesterfield, and would constantly get called after with, "Hey, Chief!"
    I never stopped to figure out if they were actually trying to get my attention, or just trying to piss me off, or whatever, but that kiosk went through so many employees so damn fast...
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I call EVERYONE "dude" or "darlin."

Down here, a lot of the natives refer to people as "bubba" or "cuz."

And a lot of people call others "captain." We have a lot of boats. Hell, a lot of people I know ARE Captains. I have at least half a dozen actual captains in my phone.

Quoth Juwl View Post
      I used to walk past a cell phone kiosk every single day in the Chesterfield, and would constantly get called after with, "Hey, Chief!"
      There was a dude who lived in my dorms sophomore year that called everyone "Chief" so much that that became his nickname. He WAS Chief!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth I_Hate_SCs View Post
        There is this one employee at Lenscrafters that always calls me "Boss" when he is helping me. That is very annoying, also, but at least I only have to endure that when I get new glasses lenses or need an adjustment, and that is every so often.
        Why would you have to endure that when you get service? Have you ever asked them not to call you that?

Quoth Jester View Post
        I have at least half a dozen actual captains in my phone.
        Wow. That's either a big phone or some tiny captains.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I call people bro, chief and dude. Haven't seen anyone offended yet.

Is it the gender thing thats offensive to everyone? Like youre girl that was mistaken for a guy or the other way around, or is it the "endearment" thing like "dont call me pet names, you dont know me"

This is just curiosity

Comment

"Boss" has always kind of bugged me too, though not enough to complain to the offender, or anyone else for that matter.

There's a guy at the Grocery Store where I shop that does that.

Also, I was at a Wendy's, probably in the last couple of years that I hadn't visited for several years before. I didn't recognize the guy that took my order, until, he called me "boss".

Then I remembered him from that previous visit from years before, (although I don't recall if Id' been to that particular Wendy's in between those two times of encountering him.) I was alone on the second visit, but on the first, a buddy was with me, and he doesn't let things like that go. I mean, he didn't comment to the guy directly, but as we sat there eating our Wendy's goodness, he would quietly comment whenever the guy called another customer "boss", and kept calling me "boss", such as "How's your burger, boss?" or, "Need more napkins boss?"

Regarding "chief". don't think I've been called that a lot, or at least not enough that it stands out in my mind. But, around 20 years ago, or so, worked with this guy at the parking garage I managed at the time, that drove me nuts in so many ways.

I have a pretty high tolerance for co-worker's and others' little personality quirks, unless they're a blatant asshole. But this one guy, who I think was around my age (30-ish, back then) was slow, both physically, and mentally. By mentally I don't mean clinically diagnosed slow, I can tolerate that, it's not the person's fault. I think he just didn't give a shit, and would take his sweet ass time to physically move from point A to point B, and that he just kind of played dumb as far as the mental slowness.

Anyhow, he always called me (and, IIRC, any other guys) "chief". So, ya damn well bet that coming from him, it irritated the hell out of me!

Mike
            Meow.........

Comment

Working...
            X