This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood Suckiness

Our state has recently been hit with record flooding. An area the size of France & Germany combined is currently under water, yep it's wet. Fortunately where I am is nice and dry. Possibly unfortunately, so is the shop I work at. Why unfortunately? Well the branch of our store in a nearby town went underwater (along with 3/4 of the town), so people have been calling us.

Almost every second call goes something like this:
    "I've been trying to ring [town] store, and the phone rings out."
    "Yes they are closed because of flood damage"

Considering most of the town went underwater, and had blanket media coverage, it is a bit dim of people to be wondering why their phone doesn't answer. But people get dimmer. At this point in the conversation their response will usually be either "aaahh ok" from the slightly smart ones, or "But the floods there went down a week ago" from the not so smart ones, so you have to explain "yes, but the store went completely under water, everything inside was destroyed, so they have a massive cleanup job".

Now that is normally enough to satisfy them, and so far we are talking about Stupid, not Sucky. But of course, where there are stupid customers there are also sucky, and he rang up yesterday.

After going through the above for the gazillionth time and thinking that would be the end of the call like the other gazillion calls that morning, SC decided "That's not good enough".

SC then went on to complain because they weren't working fast enough, getting cranky because if there was so much to do why wasn't I out there helping, getting cranky because I couldn't give a firm re-opening date, and finally getting cranky because I wasn't prepared to a) give him a substantial discount for his inconvenience and b) personally drive his product out to him (about 70 miles away) because he couldn't possibly wait for the post. In the end I just cut into his rant and said "well sorry sir, it appears I can't help you" and hung up on him. I was expecting my boss to get a complaint call, but none came (yet).

As for that last dude, what a maroon-dingbat-jerkface mashup.

*offers cookies and m&ms*
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I hope you work at a hardware store, grocery, bank or something similar... 'cuz don't people have more important things to worry about when there's a flood? I also hope the water goes into the rivers soon...
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

hello, fellow queenslander - I am in to the south and inland of you, however there are more rains coming.... i fear this is not over yet... and as for the SC , I think there should be a policy that if they get sucky like that toad you had on the phone, then the gloves come off.

Comment

Oh my word. It's a miracle that consumer escaped the flood.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Since when is 'the building is under-fucking-water' not good enough? Someone should slap that last guy. Seriously.
            My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Oh dear lord....there's a flood and all people care about is getting a discount?

And I thought my state was the arrogant one.....-_-
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Well, this is related.

I am also in the same state as the OP. Near where I live, the floods have subsided for now, but the main highway was significantly damaged by landslides and the flood waters.

So, as you can imagine that means road works, which also mean delays in travel.

I was on a bus going back home, and we hit one such delay. Nearly all of us understood and were okay with the delay (only about 10 minutes).

But one passenger was talking loudly on her phone about how 'unacceptable' it was for the delay...

Hey lady, what would you rather? a damaged highway that could endanger everyone or for them to fix it and reinforce it to make it safer (and to be able to cope with more flooding that is expected in this area).

Comment

Bottom line is some people have no humanity. Your whole family could be assassinated and they would want a discount because you dared to shed a tear in front of them.

Because I do have humanity :

My best to the Aussies. I hope everything will be ok for you guys
                  Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

I travelled to Queensland 2 days before christmas to visit the folks. To get there we had to travel on the new england hwy and go through a place called cunninghams gap (We were going to the Gold Coast).

We got through fine and enjoyed a very wet and windy holiday, but good to see everyone again.

On the way home we had to take a different route because I heard and correct me if I'm wrong, cunninghams gaps' road had completely washed away. It had a huge landslide during our last downpour so this wasn't a surprise.

We got home in one piece which is the main thing.
                    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Quoth Supermarket Slave Girl View Post
                      On the way home we had to take a different route because I heard and correct me if I'm wrong, cunninghams gaps' road had completely washed away.
                      Based on news articles, the Gap was closed due to water and avalanche damage and they're still working on it. There seems to be some serious discussion about what it would require to prevent future damage as opposed to just repairing it repeatedly.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I love this country of mine Over the Christmas / New Year period we had:

Floods in Queensland
                        Bush fires in South Australia / Victoria
                        Snow in Tasmania
                        Cyclone warnings in Western Australia

Seriously though - all the best wishes to those caught up in the floods. Our prayers are with you.
                        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

We had floods in California, a blizzard on the East Coast, and a tornado in Missouri. No wildfires that I know of though...
                          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post

Floods in Queensland
                            Snow in Tasmania

Seriously though - all the best wishes to those caught up in the floods. Our prayers are with you.
                            Well, no plague of locusts, anyway....

I hope it gets better from here on! What a start to the year...
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post

Floods in Queensland
                              Snow in Tasmania
                              And, apparently, sucky customers all over the country complaining that the stores are closed, and "that's not good enough!" And I thought we Americans were bad about living in our own little worlds...!

Rivulatus, I hope that SC doesn't get you in trouble with your boss. Better yet, I hope he does complain, and your boss laughs loudly right in his face before tossing him out on his arse!
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X