This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't harrass my son who is wanted by the police

Real short one here... Had a nice 15 minute argument where a tenant who lives in a condominium I manage was upset that we call the police whenever we see a known felon in the community. Who happens to be her grown son.

Absolutely could not be budged from the notion that her son had every right to visit his mother without being "harrassed" by people calling the police on him.

Hello? Your son is wanted on felony warrants! Even if I wasn't paid to better this community, it is always considered proper cause to call the police with the location of a wanted person. They even are offering $1000 if they catch the guy!

Why are you asking someone wanted on felony warrants to visit you at home instead of asking him to turn himself in and get a lawyer? Heck, turn him in yourself, and use the money to pay for that lawyer!

I don't suppose pointing out to her that the reports go in her favor, too? You know, like if you were to see a serial rapist or murderer sneaking 'round her place.

But wait, she doesn't want you calling the cops just because a wanted felon is in the area. I hope she can get to the phone herself before the bad guy gets her.

Oh, and the cops might like to know that she's aiding and abetting... or what ever legal terminology covers her giving shelter to a person wanted by the law. Once the cops stake out her place that reward might come your way with that tip alone.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

^ This. Next time call the police on her for harboring a known fugitive.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

My thought would have been that since you obviously have so much trouble understanding those rights you are violating, you should sit down with that mother, prepare a written statement describing exactly what behavior she wants you (and your co-workers) to avoid, and get her signature on it.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
          ^ This. Next time call the police on her for harboring a known fugitive.
          Beautiful. Then you won't have to listen to her complain anymore when she goes away for awhile.
          Part Angel Part Sadist

Comment

"But... He's such a GOOD boy, really."

Mom, I'm sure, believes Sonny Boy's story that it was that other guy's fault for running into Sonny's knife blade eighteen times.
            "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
            .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Bet his mom believes he does a lot of camping.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                But wait, she doesn't want you calling the cops just because a wanted felon is in the area. I hope she can get to the phone herself before the bad guy gets her.
                No, she's quite happy for you to call the police if another wanted felon is seen. Just not *her* son.

Honestly, it's not that hard to understand this sort of logic.

'Comprehending' on the other hand...

Comment

Yes, but that would be discrimination.

Comment

Simple: her son can do no wrong. Much to my dismay, I know the type. Doesn't matter if he attacked her among other people in the course of committing the felony, he can do no wrong.

Comment

If only that mean old lady had GIVEN up her purse when sonny boy demanded it, none of this would be happening!

But nooooooooo!

SHe had the nerve to force to have to BEAT it from her!
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Query: isn't there a provision in the lease that prohibits this sort of thing?
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Most leases that address this sort of thing prohibit criminal behavior within the apartment. Actually allowing a criminal to stop by is more of a gray area, honestly. The tenant is not themselves acting in a criminal fashion. Yeah, yeah, they are aiding and abetting, yada yada. Good luck proving that. Not quite the same thing as what her son is doing. THAT is criminal behavior, and the fact that he's wanted by the cops for his criminal behavior is the kind of thing that could get him thrown out of the apartment....if it was HIM on the lease. His mother, however, is in a much grayer, much harder to prove situation. Know what I'm saying?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

I...just...wow. Yep. Wow. That's some hard core motherly denial right there.
                            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Most leases that address this sort of thing prohibit criminal behavior within the apartment. Actually allowing a criminal to stop by is more of a gray area, honestly. ....His mother, however, is in a much grayer, much harder to prove situation. Know what I'm saying?
                              Only if you're trying to use her activity to get her kicked out. She could say that she tried to tell him not to come around, but he wouldn't listen.

The law would have no trouble seeing this in back and white if they catch him in her apartment, though. She knew he had a warrant out for him and didn't report him to the police, so she willfully concealed his whereabouts. No gray area there.

Comment

Working...
                              X