This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tama View Post
    In a sense it sounds like saying "ATM machine" ....
    ...or "PIN number"...

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    In my opinion, Dr. is a title of respect ...
    Using both is redundant and likely also pretentious.

^-.-^
    Agreed on all counts. "Doctor Strangelove" verbally or in reference to the person; " "Strangelove, MD/PhD/XYZ" when written out in a directory or as their John Hancock or something like that.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I always thought it was <title><full name><specialization> so Dr. John Smith, DDS indicates he's a dentist, while Dr. John Smith, DTh would be a highly educated preacher.

My brother-in-law is Dr. <firstname><lastname>, ME which is NOT a Medical Examiner (in his case, thought it would apply for someone else.) He's a doctor of mechanical engineering. (My Jewish mother got her wish - my sister married a doctor!)

So, Dr. John Smith, John Smith MD, and Dr. John Smith MD are all correct usages of the title/specialization. The differences and "right vs. wrong" therefore must be regional differences, and as such really shouldn't matter. So, to those that complain it isn't how they think it should be, I have nothing but pity for their ignorance. (Of course, if they weren't ignorant about it, they wouldn't complain and you'd have nothing to post!)
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        And Tiffany Aching is from Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men and a couple other books.
        Yes, but Tiffany, Preston, and "conundrum" come from I Shall Wear Midnight.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

From now on, please call me Irving Patrick Freleigh, DCBS

(Doctor of Customer BitchSlappery)

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
          X