Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Of Busses and bullets P1 (long and involved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Aethian View Post
    Because in the OP and where you quoted as well it's...

"Quoth Racket_Man:
    I hand him the customer copy of the CC slip along with the detail receipt."

Bolding is mine, since I only see two receipts when I get a delivery I was asking if both were given to the customer. IE the customer copy and the signed copy. If Racket Man's store has three pieces of receipt paper then I don't see where the SC has bases to dispute the charge.
    I think it's a 3-pieces situation. I know when I worked at a craft store, the register would print out one receipt (the detailed receipt of what was purchased), but then we ran credit cards on a separate device which printed out the double carbon sheets. Customer signed on top, and was then given the yellow carbon copy along with the detailed receipt, while we kept the white CC slip with the actual signature (rather than the carbon copy). I suspect it's similar at Racket_Man's place of work. One receipt to show everything that was bought, then a CC slip with carbon copy that only shows the CC transaction and not the details of the purchase. Alternatively, it could be like some restaurants where instead of carbon copy sheets, the CC slip is just printed twice with the signature and tip noted on one and the customer given the other, in addition to an itemized receipt. I've gotten those before.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Same here, but before the revised first post I was a bit confused as to if it was a two piece, three piece receipt plan. *shrugs* It's just so rare to see three receipts in this area that I hadn't even thought of that when I did my first post.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        Same here, but before the revised first post I was a bit confused as to if it was a two piece, three piece receipt plan. *shrugs* It's just so rare to see three receipts in this area that I hadn't even thought of that when I did my first post.
        our system produces 2 CC slips --- one is the merchant copy that the cusomter signs the second a "duplicate" is the customer copy that we give to the customer for their records.

the detail receipt is also for the customer. this is because my company is big on customer surveys. we have to go through a short speil about the survey (cgoing to the website, answering questions and the prize that they can win) when cahsing our and order (dine-in, carry-out or delivery). there is specific information on the detail receipt the customer needs to enter for the survey to go through -- such as store number, ticket number, etc.

Irv and EricKei are all too correct. my pizza place will bend over and take a Saturn 5 multi-stage rocket the full length up the brown dirt road to satisfy a customer no matter how outrageous the complaint (see my most recent post the 2d story for a perfect example)

Minor update:

it seems all that is going to happen to me is a written verbal warning for me and the customer might get their CC change reversed (that is IF the customer can be contacted they are still not responding to phone calls)
        Last edited by Racket_Man; 01-24-2011, 05:47 AM.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but is 'written verbal warning' not an oxymoron?
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
            Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but is 'written verbal warning' not an oxymoron?
            what that means is I am not really formally written up (but I am) but verbally coached and the situation is documented. it is more of a CYA for the company so if this does happen again in the next 6 months (never had a complaint like this ever before) it would show up as a "pattern" of "misconduct".

Comment

What a load of spherical objects.

Reminds me of an occasion way back when I was still at Huge Insurance Company... I was told by my dept. head that one of our suppliers had complained to him that I didn't answer the phone 'professionally' and important messages weren't being passed on. To that end I was to be given formal telephone training.
              I didn't fly off the handle, although I wanted to - I reminded him that I'd worked there for 10 years and had never had anything like that before, that I was perfectly aware how to use a phone thank you very much. I also took the opportunity to point out to him how another CW regularly would answer the phone and transfer it across without bothering to ask who was calling, and maybe he should take another look at this complaint.
              Turned out that the person complaining had got the two of us mixed up and thought that *my real name* was her.
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

all that is going to happen to me is a written verbal warning for me
                Isn't that work environment harassment, especially as you did as per corp rules?

Comment

sounds like the SC is trying to lie his way out of paying the credit card bill
                  perhaps trying to claim that he was too drunk to make a legal decision
                  even though he himself had called up the order, gave the card number, and signed the bill.

and yes it sounds like the company is trying to push the fault of this off on you. they can only give a "verbal" warning and not a written one because... with a written warning it would generate a paper trail that could be used against them with the labor board... mainly because it would end up being obvious that they are trying to blame you just to shut the issue up, rather than officially say "you're a lying liar" to the SC.

and of course they're not going to put out an official policy on "don't serve to drunks" cos... well that's where they get a lot of money from. it'll most likely be a bullshit verbal warning of "be careful" ... without any official policy on how to do this, or any real advice on how to avoid lying liars like the SC
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

My advice would be to refuse to accept the warning. You did exactly nothing wrong. Getting written up for not doing your job when you actually did your job sets a dangerous precedent.

Also, contact the labor board for your area. Let them know that your employer is going to issue you a warning for doing your job exactly the way you should.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      what that means is I am not really formally written up (but I am) but verbally coached and the situation is documented. it is more of a CYA for the company so if this does happen again in the next 6 months (never had a complaint like this ever before) it would show up as a "pattern" of "misconduct".
                      Forgive me if I sound obtuse, but what are they claiming you did wrong? Whether or not the guy is a scam artist or just a drunken asshole, all you did was follow policy and complete your job.

I mean, I get that spineless managers give in to SC's and scammers all the time, so that's not the part that shocks me. Why couldn't they just give the asshole his money back and not involve you further? Not that that's a *good* thing to do, but shit - this could have happened to anyone.

You truly work for the biggest bunch of assholes I've ever known, I swear. I'm tempted to ask you to PM me if they're a national chain because I can promise you they won't get a DIME of my money ever again. Seriously. Unbelieveable.
                      Last edited by Peppergirl; 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

A similar thing may be going on at the swamp, but I guarantee it will be handled much better than the OP's situation.

A customer claimed they didn't receive three sets of curtains she had been charged for, and the printed transaction record showed she had been charged for them. A handwritten note on the record indicated the customer wanted to know:

A). the name of the cashier who shorted her her curtains, and
                        B). what disciplinary action we're going to take against her.

So I had to pull the three curtain sets on the transaction record, since we can't absolutely prove the customer has her curtains even though they evidently weren't left behind. But we're not going to take any disciplinary action against the cashier, let alone tell the customer about it.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          So I had to pull the three curtain sets on the transaction record, since we can't absolutely prove the customer has her curtains even though they evidently weren't left behind. But we're not going to take any disciplinary action against the cashier, let alone tell the customer about it.
                          That's EXACTLY what I'm getting at, although you presented it much more eloquently than I.

The customer you site is likely a lying bitch too and your company is giving in to her to get her to go away, but (rightly) no action is being taken against the employee because he/she very likely did nothing wrong. Correct?

Man, things are really scary when the Clearance Swamp's treatment of employees is looking GOOD compared to RM's place.
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

It sounds like they're just trying to establish a "paper trail" to cover their OWN butts, in case this escalates in any way. Corporate is not only throwing RM under the bus, they're clearing the roadway to make sure the bus can barrel down the road at top speed.

As for refusing to accept the "warning" -- it has been my experience that, at most places of employment, this is treated like refusing a breathalyzer test - assumption of guilt PLUS further complications. In other words, a choice between taking the BS "warning" or getting a serious writeup (for "refusal to follow policy") or just plain getting fired for something that was not his fault.
                            Last edited by EricKei; 01-25-2011, 01:22 AM.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              It sounds like they're just trying to establish a "paper trail" to cover their OWN butts, in case this escalates in any way. Corporate is not only throwing RM under the bus, they're clearing the roadway to make sure the bus can barrel down the road at top speed.

As for refusing to accept the "warning" -- it has been my experience that, at most places of employment, this is treated like refusing a breathalyzer test - assumption of guilt PLUS further complications. In other words, a choice between taking the BS "warning" or getting a serious writeup (for "refusal to follow policy") or just plain getting fired for something that was not his fault.
                              THIS ^^^^^ they are doing the CORP CYA thing since the customer HAS made a serious allegation to which the GM, Area manager and the corp HR person all agree is TOTAL BS BUT...... I really do not have much in the way of choise in this matter as Eric has indicated above. I do not really have much to do my own CYA with other than to just keep repeating my truthful version of the events.

My read on this is I will get a light slap on the wrist and then just keep my head down for a while.

Pepper Girl: YES this is a national chain

Comment

RM, could you let us know WHICH national chain, by PM if necessary? I don't think I'm going to be buying from them anymore either.

Comment

Working...
                                X