This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Angry I Could Commit Authorcide...

This one is a saga. I can't bear to type out the full extent of the horrors, so shall try to keep it brief. As an editor I deal with many books at one time, but this one has now taken up two solid weeks of my time, 8 hours a day.

The book was commissioned before I joined the company, and was due to be published FOUR YEARS AGO. The only reason we are still trying to print this book is because it contains incredibly valuable and rare interviews. The crimes committed by this author are many. They include:

1) Being five years late in handing in the manuscript.

2) Sending a manuscript so disordered and badly written that it took UberBoss (the other editor on my team, and the one who commissioned this car wreck) 3 weeks to edit, a week being the average. While the interviews themselves were gold, the 200,000 words actually written by the author (the interviewer and supposed historian) were terrible.

3) Sending over 300 pictures without names, and the list of captions in 4 separate documents without any clue as to what caption went with what picture.

4) Getting angry when we asked her to provide numbered pictures and captions.

5) Being the most entitled and haughty bitch to ever write an email, including writing in capitals, which is pretty much shouting.

6) Winning the award for 'author putting most pictures of themselves in a book'. She is no oil painting.

Eventually we got the book paged, that is to say, had our designers take the Word documents and all the pictures and make it into a book in InDesign, the paging programme used by publishers. We sent hard copy proofs to her. Her response?

1) We had edited out everything good and she had contacted the Society of Authors and would not allow us to publish the book in its current state as to do so would be against her moral rights.

2) That the pictures were in the wrong place (we had put them EXACTLY where she had told us to, the designer had just followed her instructions).

3) That the book was full of errors!!! SHE WROTE THE DAMN THING! Did she think we'd put them in, a funny little scavenger hunt?

3) That she had decided that the last 6 chapters would have to be rewritten. The new versions were in total 20,000 words longer than the ones we had paged, thus requiring us to add 32 pages to the book and move EVERY SINGLE PICTURE.

Naturally UberBoss declined her demands in no uncertain terms. Her hundreds of changes were without exception bad, would make the book almost unreadable and scupper any chance at good reviews. A week of angry emails followed. Up to this point I had had little to do with the project. Then the head of the department informed me that UberBoss had had enough, the author was threatening legal action, and I was going to have to take over. My brief was to do EVERYTHING she wanted. Starting with editing the new 6 chapters and repaging the book. So, what did I do for the next two weeks?

1) Busted my balls reading 40,000 words of terrible writing, trying to craft it into proper English, but knowing that if I edited it as firmly as UberBoss had done with the first draft, we would be back at square one.

2) Was forced to send the Word documents back to the author, knowing full well she would try and put the errors back in.

3) Repaged the 6 chapters, including moving all the pictures and renumbering over 200 footnotes by hand.

4) Sent her a PDF of the new version of the book. Her immediate response was that while I 'was doing a good job, errors were clearly creeping into the text.' She was saying I had added errors! Again, she had so little self awareness that she thought that she had sent a perfect document and I had nothing better to do than put in incorrect apostrophes!

She is now 'checking the book for errors and to see if the pictures are in the wrong place'. I have never hated an author so much, especially since management have completely put me out to dry on this one. I have very little power to say 'no' to her, although I ignored many of the changes she demanded. I'm hoping she doesn't spot all of them, but I am willing to defend them, every last one. Meanwhile, the head of the department has been pretending to be dealing with the project (while getting me to do the hours of difficult editorial work) and keeps sending incredibly bum-sucky emails along the lines of 'deeeear X, thank you soooo much for your cooperation and patience,' thus making the author even more entitled and putting our balls in a vice.

While I have been dealing with this mess not of my making, my own projects have been sliding. My small revenge has been, while trying to force an extra 20,000 words into a very tight space, to shrink every picture with her in it to half the original size. But basically I have been rammed.

Thankyou and goodnight.
    Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

I wish you could send back the manuscript exactly as she had sent it to you, but in a different font to make it look like you had edited it; then, when she complains that you inserted errors into it, apologize for having sent back her original and immediately produce the edited version in which you had caught all those errors she made but just now saw.

Then again, I tend to be rather passive aggressive.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
      I wish you could send back the manuscript exactly as she had sent it to you,....
      My name is EricKei (not really), and I support this message (really)
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I wish you could send back the manuscript exactly as she had sent it to you, but in a different font to make it look like you had edited it; then, when she complains that you inserted errors into it, apologize for having sent back her original and immediately produce the edited version in which you had caught all those errors she made but just now saw.

I think that sounds like a brilliant idea! I've had to pull similar tricks in my job to make them realize the craziness of their requests and it works quite nicely.

Comment

Oooh! Pull a Harley Earl! He's the one responsible for the gigantic tailfins on GM's. Basically, he gave a model with huge fins to the powers that be who told him the fins were too large. So, he made another model with larger tailfins, said that it was the original concept and showed the powers that be both models. They liked the first one. :P
          "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

if there is justice in this world, you can triple charge her; once for the original time frame, twice for the extremely late manuscript and asinine changes and trice for being a general idiot who should in no way be allowed anywhere near a word processor, paper, pens, pencils, or crayons.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

What an (*$@($@* asshole that woman is!

One thing I am curious about...

When an author has just written the book, should they try to self-edit first, or let the publishers do it because it is their 'job'? (Not trying to sound rude, I just don't know how it works!)
              Last edited by Tama; 02-25-2011, 09:04 PM.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I used to edit for an online publication. Pulling shit like this would earn a rejection. Are your bosses so short of work that they'd not reject crap like this?

Rapscallion

Comment

I know there are other CS'ers who write, besides myself. This woman is an object lesson in what NOT to do as an author. BookBint has my sympathies.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

And the sad thing is that if this book gets published and gets good reviews, it will all be due to the work of BookBint and her coworkers, but the author will get all the credit.

Comment

Apparently, the interviews in the book are GOLD, but the author person spewing shit onto paper is ... um... (not poo, 'cuz poo can get used well...) uh chemical waste? point is, somehow, some way, there is a ruby in pig shit.
                      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                        When an author has just written the book, should they try to self-edit first, or let the publishers do it because it is their 'job'? (Not trying to sound rude, I just don't know how it works!)
                        You should make it as publish-ready as possible.
                        1. Edit it for overall 'feel'. If it's a novel, are the climactic events in the right place? Is the pacing correct? Are there any plot holes big enough to drive a bus through? How's the characterisation?
                        If it's non-fiction, how does it sequence? If a person reads through from start to finish, are there any places where they need info from a later chapter to understand an earlier? Conversely, can they drop in anywhere and at least get the gist of what's happening?

2. How is it for readability? Is it dry-as-dust? Are you lingering longingly on lavish language? Are you mixing short, snappy sentences with more extended ones? Are your paragraphs varied? Are you keeping a good mix of narrative, exposition, and (depending on the work) examples or dialog or diagrams or other things that break up long sections of exposition?

3. Get rid of all the adjectives and adverbs, adjectival and adverbial phrases. Then allow yourself ten per chapter.
                        Do the same for synonyms for 'said'.

4. If a novel, check to see if there's non-core characters you can consolidate. Do you really need three nosy old women in the same village, or can one do the job?

5. Check for inconsistencies.

6. Get a friend who knows English well (or Dutch, or Japanese, or whatever) to proof read it.

7. Have it sit in the bottom drawer for a week.

8. Read it aloud. You'll spot errors - and you'll also find out if you've editted the 'life' and joy out of it. If so, put it back in the bottom drawer and take it out when it 'feels' right to do so, and you'll be able to spot what's wrong then.

9. Find out the format the publishing company you're sending to wants it in. 14 point Ariel with 2cm margins? Print it like that. (note: I read a piece by one editor who explained the reason she was so picky about font and size: her eyesight was going. She also liked wide margins cause she used them to make notes about what she loved (or disliked) about a piece.)

10. Send it in, cross fingers, and pray.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I always wondered how many unsung hereos stand behind works like...well, I won't list the books I have in mind as being in anyway deserving of the title of literature. But you get my drift.

I promise that if and when I get my publishing contract, I will be an obedient little author whom editors everywhere will want to take home and cuddle.

Comment

I bet this "author" thought that all those squiggly lines below all misspelled words and bad grammar just mean to highlight how superb of a genius she is...

Comment

You realize that dead musicians and authors are much more marketable...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X