Clear All

That's just all kinds of up.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

What's to stop you from coming in on your next scheduled shift the amount of time you stayed over? Worked an hour over? Come in an hour later... I'm assuming mall stores (except for Chik-Fil-A) all have to be open at a set time. if that's the case, come in for an hour or however long you stayed, punch in, keep the doors or gates closed, and do whatever you want until the store is scheduled to open. This way you still get legally paid for the hours you put in but you're righting the wrong that the company refuses to acknowledge.

Comment

Quoth HermitIX View Post
        You really shouldn’t get piercing at the mall. The gun is unsanitary and it rips a hole in your ear which makes it more prone to scar when it heals. It is best to get it done at a tattoo place with a needle. It heals faster and cleaner.

Also WTF an infant?
        I'd have to disagree with this, as I got my ears pierced at a mall and had no problems whatsoever. So much so that I went back for a second and third hole plus cartledge. Oh, and the last one was done well over ten years ago, still no problems.

If my company ever did something like this, I'd gleefully hand them my bills and stuff and tell them to pay it. If the girl was going to stay over for something, she should get paid for it. The customers also shouldn't have waited until the last minute to do something that they should know takes a while.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Just a note from your friendly neighborhood mod team...

I know we're all full of moral outrage at this but it seems we're all focusing on something that didn't actually happen. Reread the OP and the OP's follow up. No laws were broken. She IS getting paid for staying over. She's not expected to work for free.

However, she WILL be sent home early or asked to come in late for her next shift to make sure her hours for the week don't go over what is allowed by the fools she works for. Which sucks in multiple ways, but isn't illegal or denying her wages for her hours worked. Again, nobody's expecting her to work off the clock.

Also, we don't need to turn this into a fratching debate about the merits of various means of piercing or piercing infants/toddler (in case anyone is thinking of going there).
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Yet another great reminder of why I love the management I work with so very much.

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
            I don't get why a kid would be thrashing and fussing. I remember when I got my ears pierced...I'd wanted it very badly for a long time, so the last thing I would have done was fuss, and frankly it didn't hurt much at all!
            The answer to this was in the OP:

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            PS - the kid getting pierced was an infant.
            Quoth LillFilly View Post
            And people often get their baby's pierced; I think they should wait till they're older, but I guess the parents want them to be able to wear jewelry right away.
            Um, you can wear jewelry without having piercings. My mother's been doing it for years. She's 75. She wears earrings. She has never had her ears pierced. There is also plenty of other jewelry that doesn't require piercings, such as bracelets, necklaces, anklets, etc. Just saying.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

I almost got a job at...um "Blaire's" once, and I told them that as a tattoo and piercing enthusiast, I was not entirely comfortabe with piercing young kids, or the use of guns, as I've alway been pierced with single-use needles. The manager actually managed to alleviate my concerns considerably by showing me the new "gun" they now use- not sure if its used in the US yet, but its easier to operate than a gun, doesn't make the horrible CLACK noise that can make kids jump, and causes less damage to the tissue as the sharp part is push through the cartilidge using pressure directed from the piercer's own fingers. She also said it was more hygenic than the older guns. I felt much better about it, but I was still unkeen on piercing babies. I kept that to myself; I wanted the chance at the job. I only didn't get the job on hours in the end. Personally, I would still recommend going to a proper piercer, but its good to know standards are improving (and they provide good aftercare, providing the kids with little bottles of solution to clean their ear lobes with).

I think that's really unfair though, as the OP said, the employee is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. And what kinda bright spark think its a great idea to get their kids' ears pierced that late in the day anyway? >.<
              Last edited by Dips; 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I got my ears pierced at "Blaire's" when I was about 12ish. It didn't hurt too bad, but both of the piercings got infected. The back of one earring ended up getting stuck to my ear due to dried blood encasing it. What I did that I should not have done was dig the stuck pieces off, clean the piercings as best I could, and put earrings back in. I'd be damned if I was going to do that shit again.

They turned out just fine and now I stick all manner of things in those piercings...safety pins, paper clips, sometimes more than one earring because I can't decide which pair I want to wear. But if ever I get anything else pierced (and I do want more holes in my ears and maybe my face), I'm going to a tattoo/piercing parlor. I'm not using the communal needle gun at a pre-teen fashion store.

Still though, you've got to be made of 100 percent asshole to waltz into a store as the place is closing and ask for a service like piercing, especially on someone who is going to be thrashing and screaming for an hour. It's too bad piercing services couldn't be stopped 15 minutes before closing, like how a library might turn off their computers 15 minutes before they lock up for the day.

(But Blaire's does have some neat stuff otherwise. I can't bash them too badly since I do shop there a few times a year for jewelry. )

Comment

Quoth HermitIX View Post
                  You really shouldn’t get piercing at the mall. The gun is unsanitary and it rips a hole in your ear which makes it more prone to scar when it heals. It is best to get it done at a tattoo place with a needle. It heals faster and cleaner.

Also WTF an infant?
                  I've had my ears pierced as an infant but I guess some cultures it can be seen as a ZOMG kinda thing versus normal (I'm South American BTW). That corporate policy sucks and those parents were assholes to come in at closing for ear piercings. There's a thing called store hours, look it up online or call in or look at the fucking sign! Then again I forget SC's never read any damn thing.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

My little girl had a bit of a fit when she got her ears pierced... not because of the piercing, but because she was being held down. Once she got let up she was instantly quiet and happy again. It never bugged her otherwise. She got it done in a mall (locally known as the hall, yes it is a very small one). No infections and no problems.

Comment

Hey guys!

Just a friendly reminder: Lets keep this about the butthead customers keeping employees late and try to stay away from who should and shouldn't have piercings and also at what age.

Thanks!
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Lots42 View Post
                        In many places said policy is outright illegal. I hope whomever is responsible for it is punished extremely.
                        Yes, an employee has to be paid for the time they worked, unless they're on a salary, instead of hourly.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          The answer to this was in the OP:
                          The answer was added to the OP - it wasn't there originally, but was added to address that comment.

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                          Yes, an employee has to be paid for the time they worked, unless they're on a salary, instead of hourly.
                          And, as noted, these employees were being paid for the hours worked. They would just have as much time as they worked over schedule from later in the schedule to keep their hours for the pay period at a set amount.

Which is a suck in and of itself, but, again, as noted, this is not illegal.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Actually, I can see where a company, if an employee has to work more time one shift, would deduct that amount from another to even things out. The employee isn't really losing any time, as it equals out to the same amount if they hadn't had to work late, and it doesn't cost the company extra money. However, if the company has a policy where an employee must stay late to accommodate customers, then it must be accepted that in those cases, closing will take longer or at least be later than normal at no fault of said employee.

Comment

Working...
                            X