Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The unfortunate part with modern electronics is that so much is embedded in the chips and the parts are so cheap, if you can get them fixed the parts come in assemblies and typically cost more than the new parts. Most companies would prefer to sell you the new stuff.

As for the old stuff, I can see trying to fix that....maybe.

Comment

I'll probably get one of those in-computer tape decks,
      A what??....says the woman with about 30 old cassettes she'd like to have on CD or on the MP3 player...
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        A what??....says the woman with about 30 old cassettes she'd like to have on CD or on the MP3 player...
        you can buy a USB box that you can hook your old tape deck to and feed it directly into your PC and build files in MP3 format. cost around $50 or less.

check NewEgg or TigerDirect for prices
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          you can buy a USB box that you can hook your old tape deck to and feed it directly into your PC and build files in MP3 format. cost around $50 or less.
          Ditto for LP's. My erstwhile roomie used to be a DJ, and he spent many an (otherwise) peaceful hour using it to back up his favorite songs to MP3 for archival and mixing purposes. We gave up counting his current Vinyl collection somewhere around three thousand discs >_< So yes, he has a ways to go...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
            I usually just dismantle them so I can make artsy stuff out of the bits, not to mention see what's on the inside.
            Hehe I thought I was the only one who did that Quite a few dead electronic items have found themselves being stripped for parts. I figure, if it's already broken, I can't really screw it up too badly. Occasionally, once the item is taken apart, I can sometimes fix it. If I can't, it gets recycled. The plastic casings go into the borough's recycling bins, and some of the other parts wind up in other projects.

For example, I've found that the aluminum heatsinks in old computer power supplies are great for building models. They can be used to weight down parts until the glue sets, or for keeping building walls at a perfect 90-degree corner. Other parts like capacitors and resistors, can be used for various 1/24 and 1/25 detail items. A little black paint, and you have a starter, or a fuel filter. Brake lines and engine wiring can be made of various lengths of wire or brass tubing.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post

check NewEgg or TigerDirect for prices
              Thank you! I've been looking for something like this for years. Dumb question...what's the best search term to find this? I'm finding a lot of video transfer stuff, nothing for cassettes...

Erp...never mind. Found one!! Thanks again!!!!
              Last edited by MoonCat; 05-02-2011, 03:12 AM.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
              X