This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid scam

So today our restaurant received two chargeback alerts (this is when a customer tries to reverse a charge on their credit card) for the same customer from the same day. One was for $150 and the other $200. When I first saw this I couldn't even believe it. We are a fast food restaurant. NOBODY spends that much. And our employees don't type in the amount to charge a card, it's all linked to the computer, so that much would have had to be put into the computer in food in order to charge someone that.

So I do a little investigating and it turns out this guy bought 7 gift cards for $50 each, totalling $350 ... and now he wants to reverse the charge by saying that he didn't buy them. Well too bad! We have your signature! And your beautiful face on camera since you came inside!

And this, my friends, is why most places won't let you buy gift cards with credit.

I hope you turn him in to his card provider for attempted fraud.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

So THAT'S why...I always wondered that!
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Well let's hope the guy buying the card was the owner of the cards. 'Cause otherwise it's a police matter and your store is out a lotta money.
        Last edited by bainsidhe; 05-09-2011, 11:51 PM.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Funny. C-store lets you buy gift cards with anything except checks. Guess corporate is too shortsighted to think something like this might happen!
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

There's certain gift cards that Random Craft Store will only allow customers to purchase with cash, because of this.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Interesting. I've bought gift cards at several different restaurants, and never had a problem using a credit card. The only issue was that the one place put a hold on my card, which was a few dollars more than what the gift card was for. I guess it's a thing with the system to cover a tip, and it doesn't know the difference between a gift card purchase and a regular purchase. I kept an eye on it, and when the hold expired, the actual charge appeared for the correct amount.
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I wish some bad apples wouldn't ruin it...at our Malmart you can only buy the Visa/MC gift cards with debit or cash.

I JUST thought of this.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Well let's hope the guy buying the card was the owner of the cards. 'Cause otherwise it's a police matter and your store is out a lotta money.
                  No, it was definitely him. His signature and face matched the ID picture that was sent. And it would be okay if it wasn't - we can just deactivate the gift cards (assuming he hasn't spent them already)

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    I wish some bad apples wouldn't ruin it...at our Malmart you can only buy the Visa/MC gift cards with debit or cash.

I JUST thought of this.
                    The Litter Box has a similar policy on GC's. And some SC'ness during the holi-daze because of it.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Hope your corporate office has a backbone. Most cases, those just get reversed automatically, no matter how much evidence you have.

If it was a stolen card, those gift cards would have been used right away.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        And this, my friends, is why most places won't let you buy gift cards with credit.
                        Huh.

I always wondered why we had that policy in place (to the point where the computer just plain won't let it happen). Now I know.

I can go to bed now, I've learned my something new for today.

Comment

Quoth notlovinit View Post
                          we can just deactivate the gift cards (assuming he hasn't spent them already)
                          Ha! Yes. We make software with a 90 day money back guarantee. If someone returns it for a refund all that needs doing is a few keystrokes in our database and that copy turns into a nearly worthless coaster and poster* set.

Normally it's not an issue but every now and then...

*CD and license key sheet.
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X