Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see a lot of you are looking for regular groups right now, so I'll throw this out. I'm currently part of a decent-sized gaming group of thirty-somethings (with the odd forty-ish) that has no problem with treating female gamers as gamers. One of our long-time female players is going for her fifth-degree blackbelt in Tae-Kwon-Do, in fact.

If any of you are in the Dayton-Cincinatti area of Ohio, I can give you times and directions if you'd like to check us out. Just send a PM. Keep in mind, we are all long-time geeks, and tease each other quite a bit. Even when trying to be serious, sometimes things go downhill into the realm of Douglas Adams one-liners, Monty Python quotes, and such. But let us not go there, `tis a silly place.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Does this apply to guy gamers who live in that area? Cause I recently find myself with some free time....and am in that area.
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
        Does this apply to guy gamers who live in that area? Cause I recently find myself with some free time....and am in that area.
        Sure, I'll throw you a PM with some details.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
          I've met Patrick Stewart. He was there year before last for Dragon Con and I simply could NOT leave without his autograph. He's really funny. I was wearing some porcelain kitty ears I bought in one of the dealers rooms, and had totally forgot I was wearing them. He said he liked them.

I saw Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner too, but I turned into a blithering star struck idiot and couldn't even talk when I was within 20 feet of them much less get autographs. Maybe I'll try again this year.

I know I am so late with this, but I met and spoke to George Takei only in Japanese...

Comment

O.O
            So...many....geek...girls.....*falls over*
            *~*THIS SIG HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!*~*

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.-Elijah Snow

Comment

I actually have been playing for (just a teensy bit longer) than my boyfriend...
              and met him because of gaming. DnD, 3.5.
              Morgana... nice. I think you're the first lady I've heard of who played DnD when it was new.
              Elspeth-- Warhammer or WH40K? ... and you live in the State of Apples and Rain, oui? I live in Potatolandia. Otherwise I'd totally volunteer a friend of mine who runs the 40k minis. As it is, we all rp wh40k right now/no mini's.
              Quoth Duelist925 View Post
              O.O
              We tend to hide. Or be shy. Or not mention our hobbies, as it's 'dubious' in males to begin with (according to societal norms). It is getting better, however.
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

My happy little claim is that I've waltzed with Larry Niven.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Duelist925 View Post
                  O.O
                  Yeah. Ain't it awseome? ^_^

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                  We tend to hide. Or be shy. Or not mention our hobbies, as it's 'dubious' in males to begin with (according to societal norms). It is getting better, however.
                  I would care more about societal norms of society was more normal...Ya know, like all of us
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Let's see, my husband would have refused to marry me if I DIDN'T know about gaming.
                    *Tosses self onto the geek girl pile*
                    I bet that guy would have an aneurism if he found out that my husband collects plushie cows, and enjoys "girly" things like going jewelry shopping (Seriously, he goes straight for the jewelry counter)
                    I've only met ONE incompetent female employee of a store, who insisted I'd prefer Cooking Mama to Gears of War 2 when I went in and bought it. I don't even own a Wii! I kind of pulled a "Whaaa? Girl gamer giving another girl gamer bad advice?" face and then bought Gears anyways. Which sure, I prefer playing Viva Pinata most days, but I can still kick butt at any other game if my wrists are up to it.
                    Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                    http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I guess I'm somewhat of a geek in many forms. I'm a proud Whovian and have sworn to someday own this: http://shop.fark.com/product/Disappearing-TARDIS-Mug I've also seen the entirety of Farscape. I'm a bookworm too. I've read Stoker, Lewis, Alcott, Dickens, Tolkien....as well as Butcher, Goodkind, Kenyon, Riordan. As far as music geekiness, I'm a very proud fan of anything that's Celtic music. :3 Everything from Altan to Young Dubliners.
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Geek here too! I'm a Trekkie, a gamer, I draw comics and have been known to write fanfiction.
                        "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                          I
                          Elspeth-- Warhammer or WH40K? ... and you live in the State of Apples and Rain, oui? I live in Potatolandia. Otherwise I'd totally volunteer a friend of mine who runs the 40k minis. As it is, we all rp wh40k right now/no mini's.
                          Right now 40k. Once I get this set done i am getting the warhammer starter set. i like them as models right now. And yes over here in the land of rain/apples/coffee
                          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Yeah. Ain't it awseome? ^_^
                            This. A million times this.

Comment

Jumping on the dogpile.

I too have been playing video games since Pong. My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000. My first console was an Atari 7800.

Dad started reading LotR to me when I was 8. By the time he finished Fellowship I stole the set and read the rest of it on my own. Right after that my science-minded aunt and uncle introduced me to Asimov and Clarke and Niven. Found Heinlein when I was about 12. Got freaked out by Lovecraft at 14 (not so much these days).

Met the Hubster on one of the early internet chatrooms (anyone remember talkers, and Resort?). We've built 3 computers together, and I'm currently using old BoobTube while Megatron is lurking under Hubster's desk. See, I used to have a tshirt that said 'When other little girls wanted to marry doctors or lawyers when they grew up, I kinda wanted to marry MacGuyver'. And I did marry him, though you have to add a little Red Green to the mix, because the Hubster believes that duct tape fixes everything that epoxy resin can't.

I like driving games, the Sims, RTS games, and Elder Scrolls. Oh, and Rock Band rocks like a rockin' thing. I finally get to be a rock star without the pressure of an actual audience. Have a fond memory of a day I was in EB games and got into an involved discussion of Dirt 2 and Test Drive Unlimited with the blue-haired chick. By the time we were done and looked around, there were at least 6 guys staring at us in slack-jawed amazement. I like hot cars, what can I say? And yes, I watch Top Gear. I LOVE that show.

I also have a detailed zombie defence plan.

Can I join the club?
                              What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X