This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace my 3-year-old table for me!

We got a call from some woman this morning. Or afternoon. Yeah, I think it came in after noon.

We had a nasty thunderstorm sweep through the area late this morning with winds strong enough to tip over two semis on the I. The caller bought some patio set from us three years ago, and the storm damaged the table in some way.

So she called the manufacturer first, and I will give her props for that I guess, but I'm starting to question why people even do that, since the answer from the manufacturer always seems to be some form of "We discontinued that; call the store." The manufacturer told her that particular table was only sold as part of a set and discontinued; after all it was produced over three years ago and product lines change.

Then she called us and asked us if we could get her replacement table parts or an exchange of the table. I had to tell her she couldn't, since we no longer carried that set ourselves.

So then she starts pissing and moaning and whining refusing to accept no for an answer, claiming we won't stand behind our product, and asking where she should go next. My personal suggestion would be hell. Seriously, this is just one of those times life sucks. The only way she can get a decent table is to buy a new one.

And several of ours just went on clearance! How's that for timing?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Timing is the least of her issues - you should replace it because the wind damaged it?
    Last edited by seigus; 06-08-2011, 09:49 PM. Reason: formatting issue
    Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

uggg I work returns and I see this all the time. The town a few towns over had a tornando and everyone tried to return stuff that was broken.

When our town lost power we had phones coming back in 100's.

Comment

I guess this is another power from the X Men we lowly clerks have. We already have Professor Xavier's telepathy, and now we have Storm's powers
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Wouldn't homeowner's insurance cover that?
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            Wouldn't homeowner's insurance cover that?
            You're assuming that people have it -- Where's it's not mandatory, I would assume that maybe 25% of Homeowners have it; where it is mandatory, I would assume 60% actually have it and are current/paid...Kinda like Auto insurance, which is mandatory just about everywhere. I think 60% is the absolute HIGHEST percentage of drivers in this state who are actually insured. The main excuse is money, as we have the highest rates in the nation by far; the thing is, when uninsured motorists get in wrecks, the rates gradually go up for insured people, thus compounding the problem...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              The only way she can get a decent table is to buy a new one.

And several of ours just went on clearance! How's that for timing?
              Careful, otherwise she might assume you have magical powers.
              Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
              Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
              -Unknown Author

Comment

My friend is in charge of the homeowners insurance where she works. The stories she tells we of what people call about are just sad.

than these same people call and cry when the payment goes up.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Kinda like Auto insurance, which is mandatory just about everywhere. I think 60% is the absolute HIGHEST percentage of drivers in this state who are actually insured.
                  Okay... how is that even possible?

That means, any time you're in an accident, you've got a 40% chance the guy who hit you doesn't have insurance - and is then probably also too broke to pay for the damages to you or your car. That sounds kinda horrible to me.

Is there no control of that? In Germany, you need proof of insurance before you can even get plates for your car. Then, if you stop payments or whatever, the insurance company is required by law to inform the DMV when they'll be stopping the coverage, and the DMV will in turn inform your friendly neigborhood police department, who will then send someone out to pick up the plates from your car.

Is there nothing similar in the US?
                  You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                    Is there nothing similar in the US?
                    I believe that would vary from state to state.
                    Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

In my state, you just need to sign a form stating that you know you are suppose to have insurance every time you renew the plates on your car. If you get caught without insurance, they can take your plates away, but I haven't heard about that happening.
                      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
                        I believe that would vary from state to state.
                        Here in GA you have to have car insurance. We forgot to pay ours one month and they cut off our coverage. We get all our bill electronically and I guess it got deleted or something before I checked it and it slipped past me. I did not even realize it until I got a letter in the mail saying my husbands license was invalid until we paid this big fine and showed new proof of insurance. We had to go and redo our coverage, go to the place where you get your tags and pay the fine, and show them our new insurance card. I guess they keep track of it through some sort of system. They knew about our insurance expiring before we did. They said we were lucky my husband did not get pulled over or it would have been an even bigger fine and his license could have gotten suspended even longer.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
                          In Germany, you need proof of insurance before you can even get plates for your car. Then, if you stop payments or whatever, the insurance company is required by law to inform the DMV when they'll be stopping the coverage, and the DMV will in turn inform your friendly neigborhood police department, who will then send someone out to pick up the plates from your car.
                          In Australia, you can't renew car registration without third party personal damage insurance: as in, damage to people. Damage to property is your problem.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

In Germany, basic car insurance covers any damage caused towards a third party through the operation of your car. Meaning, whether you hit another car, bike, or pedestrian, your insurance is paying. Unless they find a way to weasel out of it, of course.

But, even if you do something to jeopardize your coverage (DUI, or driving without snow tires in winter weather), the insurance is still required to cover the other parties' damages - they'll just be looking to recoup their losses through you.
                            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

in my state part of my insurance is to cover damage for uninsured/underinsured people so we get to pay extra for those who don;t have insurance

Comment

Working...
                              X