This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Teskeria View Post
    My biggest problem with wines is they taste so bitter. Even ice wines, although not bad, taste a little bitter.
    Good ones shouldn't. There's a place here that bottles their own ice cider wine...it's yummy...
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
      Interrupting Cow: (Moo!)
      Out of all that, this little bit made me bust out laughing.

Why yes, I am easily amused. Why do you ask?
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
        Well there's always "Two-Buck Chuck!"

Disclaimer: I don't like chardonnay so I don't drink that, but it's supposed to be good.
        It is. In fact, all of the "Two-Buck Chuck" (even though it's not $2 anymore) is good, including the Beaujolais Nouveau.

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        My biggest problem with wines is they taste so bitter. Even ice wines, although not bad, taste a little bitter.
        I got hold of a late-harvest eiswein once. Set my teeth on edge it was so damned sweet. Then again, I can't stand sweet wine. The drier, the better.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          You and me both.

The tannin in wine is what makes me not drink it, thus your sweet whites are not so bad for me (still not going to drink it if I have a choice). The tannin simply over powers every other flavor in just about every red I have had (baring manischewitz and the like:P).

Comment

Australia is the solution to his problems, wine is cheap and abundant here, but of relatively good quality. If you want expensive plonk, the option's there, but you can nab some really solid merlot or shiraz for $6 - 10. In a bottle even!

Comment

Seconded. Australia's Yellow Tail, and Fish Eye are a couple of my favorites
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I know zero about wine, and even I'm not sure I'd trust any bottle under $10. First time I ever bought wine was on a fast-food salary, so I wound up with the cheapest plonk in the supermarket. Two sips and the rest went down the sink.

A few years later at my cousin's wedding, there was a bottle of this same plonk on every table for the toasts at the reception. My brother-in-law took one sip, gagged, whispered "My, that's dry" with a tear rolling down his cheek, and didn't touch it again. So I know it wasn't just me.

I want to see the OP complainant go Cadillac shopping. "I want an Escalade, but I only want to pay as much as I would for a Honda Civic. ... And I only want to pay $1.25 per gallon in gasoline."

Love, Who?

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                  I know zero about wine, and even I'm not sure I'd trust any bottle under $10. First time I ever bought wine was on a fast-food salary, so I wound up with the cheapest plonk in the supermarket. Two sips and the rest went down the sink.
                  There's loads of wine out there under $10 that really good. There's also a lot of wine out there that's really expensive and tastes horrible. Price is no indication of how good it is.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Do they still make Thunderbird? I'm just curious.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
                      They were complaining that they couldn't get cheap wine? Wow, entitlement much??
                      No, they were complaining that they couldn't get their expensive wine cheaply. There is a difference, but one that ranks them even higher on the entitlement whore scale.

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                      A few years later at my cousin's wedding, there was a bottle of this same plonk on every table for the toasts at the reception. My brother-in-law took one sip, gagged, whispered "My, that's dry" with a tear rolling down his cheek, and didn't touch it again. So I know it wasn't just me.
                      I don't drink wine, but I have a cool wine story about my wedding.

My mother used to work for a company that was started by a millionaire wine buff. He was great to work for, and morale was high. He would get *crates* of wine delivered to the office on a regular basis. He built a house near a hill so he could hollow said hill out for his cellar.

He sold the business.

Years later, the business moved offices. In moving the bookshelves, a room was discovered that had people scratching their heads. No one knew it was there.

It contained boxes with eight dozen bottles of wine.

Woohoo, the managers thought. There's 8 of us, that's an even dozen bottles each. And as my mum was a manager, she scored twelve bottles.

Fast forward a few months to my wedding. She donated the bottles for the reception. I had no idea, all I saw at the reception was the bottles spread around the tables.

One of my friends, who is also a wine buff, took one look at the label and his eyes *bulged*. He wanted to know where I got them. I told him I had no idea. He spent quite a bit of the reception trying to find out who had brought the wines.

At the end of the night, I discovered it was mum. I pointed my friend to her, and he offered to buy any remaining bottles. The following conversation is pretty much verbatim. It stuck in my memory for some reason.

Friend: Do you have any bottles left? I'll buy them from you.
                      Mum: Sorry, no. I brought them down for the wedding.
                      Friend: Can you get any more? I'll pay *A THOUSAND DOLLARS* for a bottle.
                      Mum: (The sort of expression that Napoleon gave when told he'd come second at Waterloo)

Keep in mind that this was ten years ago...

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        Seconded. Australia's Yellow Tail, and Fish Eye are a couple of my favorites
                        Send a bottle of Yellow Tail down this way, will ya? I don't care which varietal - they're all good.

Usually these days I'll spring for the $17 box of Franzia Chardonnay 5 ltr (which will last about a month) if I can't find my Yellow Tail on sale.

Now if my wallet's a little tight, there's always Lucky Duck Chardonnay (sold exclusively at Wally World) for $3.99/ 750ml bottle.

Or I can have my sister run me to Aldi's for a bottle of Winking Owl wine for $2.99/bottle.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Do they still make Thunderbird? I'm just curious.
                          According to Google, it's still sold. I found out about it from a funny Cracked article.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

[QUOTE=DGoddessChardonnay;910497]
                            Usually these days I'll spring for the $17 box of Franzia Chardonnay 5 ltr (which will last about a month) if I can't find my Yellow Tail on sale.

To me, Franzia is THE best of the cheap wines! And their Sunset Blush runs about $12 for the 5 ltr, so you might try that one as well :-)

Comment

Waaaaaay back to the OP -- I smell a rat. Either this guy was trying to get you to discount half the store....FOR HIM...so that he could fill up his wine cellar cheaply, or he was a reseller trying to make major bucks who knows damn well what the margins are on wine.

As for inexpensive-but-good? My brother used to swear by a brand called "Cheap Red Wine" back in the 90s. I dunno if it still exists. Note that he was under no illusions about the relative quality level of $10 & under/bottle wine He just said that it still tasted really, really good.
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There's a very local wine/liquor 'superstore' whose tagline is "everything 20% off". I haven't actually been in there to see how true it is, but their commercials are amusing (featuring two students who don't even look old enough to legally drink happily comparing vodkas).
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X