This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you DARE call me Racist!

3AM, I'm patrolling the parking lots, when I find a car parked in the closest handicap space to the door of our 24 hour store. No plate, no permit, I look on the dash, seats, etc. I write the ticket. Note that there were a half-dozen non-handicap spaces free all around.

The 'Gentleman' walks up and asks why I'm writing a ticket because he was just about to move. I had the ticket finished, and had been reaching to put it under the wiper. I told him: "well, you're parked in a handicap space" He said "Yeah, well I just got out of the Military." I was considering this because I had seen the Marines bumper sticker, and thought I might cut him a break even though he should know better. I didn't get the chance to reply because he then told me "Oh, I see, you're just ticketing me because I'm BLACK!"

I lost my temper; it's been a hard week. Probably not the best thing to do on a 6'2 linebacker-looking guy. I whipped around to face him and said "Oh for heaven's sake, I cannot BELIEVE you just tried to give that excuse! How could I possibly know who this car belonged to!? You know, I was going to take the ticket back in consideration for your service, but you get to keep it now. Besides, you should have known better." He kind of rocked back on his heels like he couldn't believe I'd called him on it and said "Hey, don't yell at me, I'm just trying to have a conversation with you." I said "Don't you DARE! You just accused me of being racist for doing my job, I'm sorry, but that is wrong!." He said "Well, nobody's here anyway that needed that spot." I told him "Just because it's the middle of the night doesn't mean the laws change; it's still illegal!" I put the ticket under the wiper. He made some other argument about how it was all racist and I told him "I take offense to that; why do you automatically assume I'm racist? Because I look white? Guess what, I'm not; I'm Native American, so how's that for profiling?" He said that he didn't care what I was, how was he supposed to know. I said "Exactly! Just the way I was supposed to know YOUR ethnicity by looking at your car!" and walked back to my patrol car. He marched over and grabbed it, yelling at me "You know, I'll be getting my lawyer on this and by tomorrow you won't HAVE a job. In fact, I'll make sure you don't ever have another job unless it's working in Siberia!" I told him that if he really had a problem I would call the police. He kept yelling things that I couldn't quite catch, but were definetely threatening, along with yelling the Marine Motto and jabbing his fists in the air. He went back into the store (never moved his car), but then came-out and kept looking around.

At that point I was shaking and angry. But now I was a little scared because I wondered who he might be with, how righteously angry he might actually be, and the fact that being military he probably had firearm experience and where I live gets a lot of shootings. I decided to call the Police to ask him to leave, and stayed in the furthest lit part of the lot; I didn't want to go near him again, but also wanted a report documenting the accusations. I saw the guy go in and out of the store a couple more times, like he was looking for me.

An Officer showed-up and talked with the guy and a woman he had come out with. The guy still looked pissed and was throwing his hands in the air. The woman looked...indifferent. Funny, he was the passenger, and she drove the car off. I told the Officer exactly what had happened and he told me that the woman had told him that she parked there because....

Her foot hurt.

Yeah. But she's still driving. And wearing thick-heeled high-heels.

I told the Officer that if the guy had explained first-off this, I might have let him move to another spot and told him to pull-up to the entrance after the woman finished shopping so she could get in the car. If he hadn't cried racism right away, I could have worked with him. Now I don't feel bad about giving him the ticket at all. I'm more worried about what he's going to tell people, and not being safe if they believe I'm racist. I sat in the patrol car and cried afterwards, because it hurt that I've always been as fair as possible, and gotten screwed every time, and this guy attacked my morals and professionalism because he didn't want to suck-up to the fact that he and the woman had gotten caught doing something wrong, and just used this serious charge to try and scare me into taking the ticket back. I think that's what angered him the most, that I gave him the ticket anyway. I wondered if I should have backed down, but there was no reason to let him get what he wanted, and he was the one at fault. I do wonder though; he grabbed the ticket, but if it was the woman's car, she'll be the one charged with it, and if he 'forgets' to give her the ticket hoping it will go away, she's going to be the one getting the 250$ citation, and I'll have to deal with them AGAIN in court!

PS. I considered that the bumper sticker could have just been convenient and that he was making-up his service to intimidate me (you know, to make SURE I knew he was better than a 'mall cop'), the same as he was making his accusations. His longish braided hairstyle and bearing did not strike me as military.
    Last edited by LillFilly; 09-03-2011, 11:28 PM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

I feel shaken up after reading that. I feel our servicemen deserve respect for what they do, but that doesn't mean they can take free liberties.. especially with the laws of the land they swore to defend.
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

:hugs: -gives you cookies and anything else you'd like-

Just reading that got me all shaky and scared. He sounds like a total JERK.
      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Just because someone served in the military doesn't mean that they can ignore the laws just because of it. & you're right, ya know...there's no way you could have known he was black just by looking at his car. Take a few breathes & understand you did the right thing.
        I'd like to give you a hug & hand u some tissue...lol.
        Last edited by Bright_Star; 09-04-2011, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I'm not trying to start anything, but just how enforceable are the tickets written? Isn't it on private property? Or is it more of a tracking system in case you have repeat offenders?
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

If following the law is contingent upon what status and class someone possesses or once possessed; if laws and morals are different based on what uniform or lack thereof one wears, then those laws and morals mean nothing.

You did the right thing.

Comment

Honey, my uncle is a marine, and if he heard that moron trying to use the race card he would have not only pulled his own military history (which took place in 'nam, by the way, so he dealt with a hell of a lot worse than this guy likely did) out, but he probably would have shredded that guy to pieces and made sure that if he was still in the military, he'd get a dishonorable discharge, which would have ensured that that man would never be able to find a job again. Pulling the race card is the lowest of the low, and I hope that bastard rots for it.

Comment

My sister likes to pull the "My dad was in the Air Force, he was a TSGT, etc." card when she wants to impress people. It's taken me years to condition her that pulling this card isn't going to do much for her. This is my older sister, btw.

She still pulls it now and then. I just inwardly groan and try to change the subject with her.
                Random conversation:

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  PS. I considered that the bumper sticker could have just been convenient and that he was making-up his service to intimidate me (you know, to make SURE I knew he was better than a 'mall cop'), the same as he was making his accusations.
                  He could have simply picked up that bumper sticker from any high-school college fair. Seriously, I have a Marines (and Navy, Air Force, Army...) stickers sitting in my office somewhere, and I've never served. There are people who will get those stickers and slap them on their POS vehicles...in an attempt to show off and/or intimidate people. Fucking posers.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                    "My dad was in the Air Force, he was a TSGT, etc."
                    #3 Brother retired as a SMSgt (AF)
                    #4 Brother is a full bird (AF)
                    #1 is an old hippie
                    #2 is an OK punster near Tulsa
                    #5 is a recovering reggae listener

gotcha outcranked.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

While this guy was a huge douchewaffle, I wouldn't worry about your job. It's a good thing you called the police, so now they have documentation that this man did in fact park in a handicap parking spot illegally. So even if he says you gave him a ticket "because he's black," the police report can back you up.

Also, I think you made an excellent point - how the HELL were you supposed to guess that he was black based on his vehicle?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        #3 Brother retired as a SMSgt (AF)
                        #4 Brother is a full bird (AF)
                        #1 is an old hippie
                        #2 is an OK punster near Tulsa
                        #5 is a recovering reggae listener

gotcha outcranked.
                        Hee! Yessir! *salutes*
                        Random conversation:

Comment

Oh LilyFilly I am so sorry oyu had to deal with that fucktard. You did the right thing calling the police. Better safe than sorry, and they have documentation like everyone else said. Oh and PS: My grandfather on my mom's side was a WWII POW, since we're talking military history.
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                            I'm not trying to start anything, but just how enforceable are the tickets written? Isn't it on private property? Or is it more of a tracking system in case you have repeat offenders?
                            We are authorized to write non-moving violations payable to the town police department where the mall is located; this is fire lane and handicap only. They're actual tickets that must be paid in 10 days, or the amount increases X10, which if you refuse to pay you're sent a citation, chose to pay or go to court, etc. I've been to court over a dozen times for people fighting both handicap and fire lane tickets; 80% of the time we win. Many people seem to think the ticket doesn't apply because they're in a parking lot, but these are actual police tickets the town gives us; it saves them time & $ by not having be called a dozen times a day because we need a car ticketed, and cracks-down on the rampant abuse. And we enter our tickets into a database, so if I ticket a car, and type it into the computer, the plate might pop-up and I'll find I ticketed it 3-months ago, or that this is the 3rd time, and I'll make a note of it. See, if it's an accident and they forgot to put their handicap card up, they can catch me to void it, or have the police void it; but the police will only void it once as a courtesy, to encourage people to properly hang their permits. I'm not obligated to get out of the security vehicle and look for your permit under the seat; legally if it can't be seen in the window, you can get a ticket. But some people just keep forgetting to put them up, and that wastes everyone's time. I actually recognize our regulars and know that they are handicap, even if they forget their cards; lucky for them!
                            Last edited by LillFilly; 09-04-2011, 03:24 AM.
                            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Well -- if it was the lady's car, maybe SHE was the one who served, and he was just committing fraud to get out of the ticket...?
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X